Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
You may have a point there, but I am not a business owner who bids on city contracts. I was simply describing my personal experience.

In any case, I think we are all in agreement that the mayor and certain members of the city council need to go.

The current mayor is pretty reasonable. Actually either of the candidates look pretty decent. Some members of the council on the other hand . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The current mayor is pretty reasonable. Actually either of the candidates look pretty decent. Some members of the council on the other hand . . . . .
Coldjensens: Why not list the council members and explain why these council members are no good.

We could then see if we can donate to their opponents' campaigns or something.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 PM

186 posts, read 588,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
You mean think like me in that Detroit is a crappy place to live? I would find it hard to believe that most of the Blacks, Whites, Asians and Latinos that worked at the Warren Tech. Center didn't think like me. Yes. Detroit is a crappy place to live, and it will be until they fix the schools. And they're not going to fix the schools.

You want people to move from a house in the suburbs to the University District or Sherwood Forest because they can't afford the suburbs? Are you kidding? What does the median house cost in the University District or Sherwood Forest or even Rosedale Park (which isn't nearly as nice as it was even 10 years ago). And what would it cost to send your kid to U of D High, and what would your car and house insurance be and what would your taxes be on a $200,000.00 house in Detroit if you bought it today? And we're supposed to move to Detroit because it's CHEAPER? If you just have to have an old house that was built well, surrounded by ghetto and a public school system in shambles, sure move to Detroit. If you want a decent quality of life for your kids, I'd settle for a 2000 square foot house in the suburbs even if it didn't have cove molding and fancy steam radiators. Some of us feel an obligation to raise our families in a better environment.

Sure, here's a beautiful 4000 square foot house on Birchcrest for less than $260,000.00. What are the taxes? Insurance? What would you do with your kids? Have them ride their bikes over to Gregg's Pizza at night? Are you kidding? There's a reason U of D has an 8 foot wrought iron fence all the way around it and armed guards at the entrance booth. It ain't to keep the students in.

You and I both know what you get in the suburbs for $260,000.00. You get this:

Plus decent schools, lower taxes, lower insurance PEACE OF MIND, fewer pitbulls and dope houses and a neighborhood your kids can walk around in. And when the Wings win you can drive downtown for that one special day per year.
Thats an intersting point but still in those particular areas the crime is lower opposed to other detroit areas, however if the value of Detroit homes went up, taxes lowered, crime was lowered and schools were improved, how would a person from the suburbs react if the suburbs did the opposite all of a sudden. Detroit still would not be good enough?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:12 PM

186 posts, read 588,043 times
I personally have not noticed racism in Detroit except for the previously mentioned, "go back to the suburbs remark", but a friend of mine has accused the Eastpointe and Warren Police of racism in beliefs of racial profiling and the Warren Police tazing??? a teenage boy to death didn't help change that.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM

116 posts, read 284,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think if you are honest for a second, it is talking about African American achievement. Considering the issues the predominately Black Detroit Public schools have had and issues many mostly Black school districts have had in terms of academic achievement, this is a ceremony that shows another side of the Black community in terms of academics that many do not get to see. It's not about doing something at the expense of others, but about celebrating achievement in a way that isn't seen in terms of Blacks and education. That's what I got out of that announcment and I think that it is ironic how people want Blacks to handle their own business, but at the same time when they celebrate their culture or achievement, it is seen by some in a negative light. It's almost like a no win situation, but you can't satisfy everyone, I guess.

Here's a similar situation at MSU:Michigan State's Black graduation ceremony criticized - Noteworthy news: the latest news from across the country - Brief Article | Black Issues in Higher Education | Find Articles at BNET
Thanks for the link to the article, but it is actually "old" news from 2001-2002. Same old tune.

To be brutally honest, anyone that graduates from college has "achieved". Each person should be expected to handle their own business, irregardless of race/culture; many students are the "first" to graduate college in their family. Yet I don't see a Mexican American, Chaldean American, Indian American, or "First to graduate in their family" alternative commencement ceremony to celebrate their culture or achievement.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post
Thanks for the link to the article, but it is actually "old" news from 2001-2002. Same old tune.

To be brutally honest, anyone that graduates from college has "achieved". Each person should be expected to handle their own business, irregardless of race/culture; many students are the "first" to graduate college in their family. Yet I don't see a Mexican American, Chaldean American, Indian American, or "First to graduate in their family" alternative commencement ceremony to celebrate their culture or achievement.
Then, that is up to those groups to celebrate how they want to celebrate their accomplishment. Last time I checked, this is America. So, if those groups don't want to celebrate that way, that is their choice. Considering all the dynamics of why the celebration occurs, it isn't going to be the same as it is for those other groups. Like it was mentioned in that article, the struggles aren't the same, generally speaking. So, that's where I think people have to rightly divide between the impact and the intent of such celebrations.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 PM

41 posts, read 140,852 times
I was born in 1953 and we lived on Virginia Park in the second block from Grand River. It was a mixed neighborhood even then and we never had any difficulties with anyone. Same thing when we moved to the Grand River/Hubbell area from 1958-1968 with one exception. I no longer went to St Marys of Redford and was "developing" quickly-as a result I was jumped by a gang on the way home. Thankfully a lady saw it, called police and hollered at the ones causing the trouble. I knew who most of the kids were and my parents did prosecute...but the ringleader brought in a sob story and nothing was done. No, this had nothing to do with race. I'm white and so were these creeps. After that we lived in the Grand River/6 Mile area and again, even when Redford HS and Murphy Jr Hi started busing in kids we never had any trouble. I've lived in areas where I was the minority over the years and again, never a problem. I think what matters most is your own attitude to your area and neighbors. If you are accepting and realize that you all have something in common or you wouldn't be living near each other then it takes away quite a bit of hostility.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,096 times
I can't speak to Detroit but I can speak to Downriver. I grew up as a POC (black) in Downriver Michigan and, after traveling to other places in our country and abroad, I feel that it is one of the most overtly racist communities that I have ever been exposed to. I have not lived in the area for over 5 years now, but have noticed when I come back from college that it is plenty more colorful than it had been when I was growing up. So obviously the demographic is changing, although I can't really speak to attitudes. But if people are still anything like they were when I was growing up, I would say that it is still probably one of the most socially unproductive places in the country, even economics aside. In fact, the area's economic problems I imagine probably have something to do with the fact that anyone with the wits and means to escape the area inevitably does so as soon as they are able. Sorry, I know that's mean to say to a lot of people, but honestly, Wayne County in general is a sinking ship. It seems to have almost completely lost out on (rejected) the social and intellectual benefits that the rest of the country has been cultivating in the last few decades. And I would attribute this social and intellectual retardation most definitely to a deeply entrenched and radical racism in the area. Not to say that there aren't nice people of all colors living there, but for the most part, the whole community (Downriver) is backwards. Severely.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
I personally have not noticed racism in Detroit except for the previously mentioned, "go back to the suburbs remark", but a friend of mine has accused the Eastpointe and Warren Police of racism in beliefs of racial profiling and the Warren Police tazing??? a teenage boy to death didn't help change that.
So its the Warren police's fault that the kid running from them into a vacant house, then who confronts them is black? So next time a black kid steals a car, or commits any other crime, we should just let him go because thats bad for police relations. Gimme a break.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isurviveddownriver View Post
I can't speak to Detroit but I can speak to Downriver. I grew up as a POC (black) in Downriver Michigan and, after traveling to other places in our country and abroad, I feel that it is one of the most overtly racist communities that I have ever been exposed to. I have not lived in the area for over 5 years now, but have noticed when I come back from college that it is plenty more colorful than it had been when I was growing up. So obviously the demographic is changing, although I can't really speak to attitudes. But if people are still anything like they were when I was growing up, I would say that it is still probably one of the most socially unproductive places in the country, even economics aside. In fact, the area's economic problems I imagine probably have something to do with the fact that anyone with the wits and means to escape the area inevitably does so as soon as they are able. Sorry, I know that's mean to say to a lot of people, but honestly, Wayne County in general is a sinking ship. It seems to have almost completely lost out on (rejected) the social and intellectual benefits that the rest of the country has been cultivating in the last few decades. And I would attribute this social and intellectual retardation most definitely to a deeply entrenched and radical racism in the area. Not to say that there aren't nice people of all colors living there, but for the most part, the whole community (Downriver) is backwards. Severely.

Not much has changed...So it is with most of WAYNE county as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit