U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 280,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
That's funny, I always found that the rich white kids in the suburbs went out of their way to embrace black kids and black culture in schools in the suburbs where there are not many black kids. It's a natural reaction to rebel against the values and mores of their parents (and grandparents), many of whom fled Detroit. Pants down around their knees, 5 sizes too large, the latest shoes that cost more than what a kid should make in a week, urban music and the profanity and misogyny that goes with it. Hats on every way but straight....Wannabe gang behavior, throwing signs, clothing, graffiti...and then mom picks them up in the minivan and they go to lacrosse practice.

Well, of course. They don't respect who they got it from, though.

Right...that's why the Detroit PD solves less than 30% of homicides...Because people are so willing to "get involved" and there's such a sense of community. They elected Kwami Kilpatrick. TWICE! That's all one needs to know about the majority of Detroiters who vote. Presumably, considering Detroit's pathetic turnout in just about every election, the people who DO vote are the enlightened ones by Detroit standards, so I rest my case. Kwami. Twice. Detroit is NOT a high rise with a secure garage and a doorman. Detroit is the area OUTSIDE the high rise. Detroit is the scene in Apocalypse Now when Martin Sheen is on the front line and there is mayhem all about and he asks "Who's in charge" and the stoned, crazy soldier says something like; "No one's in charge, man!"
And also of course. You've never really had a good word to say about Detroit in your other posts.
So, they elected a crappy mayor, and the police is worthless, what does that have to do with the hospitality of neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 PM

45 posts, read 86,314 times
If you're a white and want to live in Detroit, I seriously doubt you'd run into much racism. You'd definitely get a look of surprise or stares if you live in certain areas. Detroit is kind of beyond racism now... there not much love for ANY man regardless of race.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,248,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
I've seen you make other positive posts, pirate_lafitte, so I am not going to rip you open on this, but the key to your message (and Maxine3's reply) is that you admit that it is "from what [you] have been informed." My perspective is first person. I am a white person living in Detroit and have never experienced any reverse racism. Now I agree that there is still a lot of latent racism going both ways, but to the extent it doesn't come to the surface does it really matter? The good honest hardworking black people of this city, and there are a hell of a lot more of those than the drug-dealing murderers, are happy to have the diversity and economic contribution. Particularly in the nicer neighborhoods such as Boston-Edison, Palmer Woods and Indian Village, which are majority black, there is a high sense of community regardless of race/ethnicity.

Yeah, on occasion I get funny looks when I am the only non-black person in a store somewhere, but it is more of the "I wonder what he is doing here" kind of look as opposed to a "go home cracker" sort of look; in other words I never feel threatened. And if I go to a primarily black enterntainment spot like a little R&B club somewhere, the looks I get are more of a "welcome to our world" look and the positive attention my friends and I receive can border on the embarrassing. The music scene in the many fine jazz and blues joints in the city really seem to iron out the differences, where a 50-50 or 60-40 crowd all just get into the groove and enjoy the music.
Great post! There IS HOPE!

I'm white, back when I lived in NYC, occassionally I'd poke around in the 'black' clubs, and if they are professionals/older, etc., the reception was much like what you mentioned, in my experience.

The problem has always been the 'street culture'...anyways, as a person who is from MI, and occassionally consider returning to MI...your post is an interesting one.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,248,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1976 View Post
As a white person who grew up in Detroit, I KNOW FIRST HAND, TRY BEING A WHITE KID IN THEIR SCHOOLS THEN OPEN YOUR MOUTH.
Actually, that's the other thing...(continuing the same as I posted on above).

It's one thing to be a grown adult and move to a place among other grown adults. It does seem like the school system is a completely other kind of animal.

Same when I lived in NYC, I felt absolutely fine there. But kids who grew up and went through the public school system had something completely different to say about it.

(When I was living in NYC, I was living in some of the sketchy areas like Washington Heights & later Brooklyn among a few other places). (I'm also white).

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM

999 posts, read 4,194,693 times
Quote:
And also of course. You've never really had a good word to say about Detroit in your other posts.
So, they elected a crappy mayor, and the police is worthless, what does that have to do with the hospitality of neighbors?

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/detro...#ixzz0cSHvszkO
Your experience, I believe, was the exception to the rule. You can not characterize Detroit as being more full than not of "hospitable neighbors" compared to the suburbs. If you COULD, grass would be cut, witnesses would come forward, crimes would be solved, kids would be in check. That's what good neighbors do and is a big reason why the suburbs virtually always offer a better quality of life than Detroit.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM

4,719 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Everyone wnats to say that urban cities are "dying" 'cause the white folk left and NO ONE cares about a place with just minority folk.
Quote:
The city is one giant abyss and the truth needs to be discussed.....
...which is only true for cities like Detroit. More prosperous cities with gentrification and mixes of populations have lovely urban centers, while the older suburbs are going ghetto.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,761,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
shhhh....dan. Some folks just REFUSE to accept the reality.

Like in the 1950s and 1960s many whites wanted to "believe" minorities were treated fairly.

Today everyone wants to believe there is no animosity between folks of diversity.

Everyone wnats to say that urban cities are "dying" 'cause the white folk left and NO ONE cares about a place with just minority folk.

When the truth is those minority folk are JUST as capable of running "their" city (OR THEY SHOULD BE)....

(shortened quote).....

The city is one giant abyss and the truth needs to be discussed.....

Complete quotes in context are best.

All the real hard working folks are LEAVING the D. It is no longer a race question.

It is no longer white flight, but survival flight.

Why hasn't the city turned the corner and has only become progressively WORSE since the Colemen administration?

The truth needs to be discussed if the "problem" is to be fixed and not passed on to the suburbs.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 AM

282 posts, read 1,082,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
I've seen you make other positive posts, pirate_lafitte, so I am not going to rip you open on this, but the key to your message (and Maxine3's reply) is that you admit that it is "from what [you] have been informed." My perspective is first person. I am a white person living in Detroit and have never experienced any reverse racism. Now I agree that there is still a lot of latent racism going both ways, but to the extent it doesn't come to the surface does it really matter? The good honest hardworking black people of this city, and there are a hell of a lot more of those than the drug-dealing murderers, are happy to have the diversity and economic contribution. Particularly in the nicer neighborhoods such as Boston-Edison, Palmer Woods and Indian Village, which are majority black, there is a high sense of community regardless of race/ethnicity.

Yeah, on occasion I get funny looks when I am the only non-black person in a store somewhere, but it is more of the "I wonder what he is doing here" kind of look as opposed to a "go home cracker" sort of look; in other words I never feel threatened. And if I go to a primarily black enterntainment spot like a little R&B club somewhere, the looks I get are more of a "welcome to our world" look and the positive attention my friends and I receive can border on the embarrassing. The music scene in the many fine jazz and blues joints in the city really seem to iron out the differences, where a 50-50 or 60-40 crowd all just get into the groove and enjoy the music.
Do you understand your statements??I must reply to this.I was hoping just to read the numerous PAGES on this subject. I have personally been discriminated against by blacks. Plain and simple, GOT IT? Detoilet is owned by the black community.
I don't care. I don't care what "color" a persons' skin is, BUT, THEY shoved it in my face. I move back here, go to the city I grew up in and I have-here it comes, BLACK cops pulling me over for nothing. PERIOD. Tearing my car apart looking for drugs. Find NOTHING. Write me a bogus ticket anyway. QUOTE:
We don't want white ppl in Detoilet."
Afro Americans huh? Why can't you just be Americans? My heritage,as well as many others from a foriegn nation don't have a stamp on our forehead as a badge., but you don't hear us whining about it............ Go back, you totaled the city. Fix it you're so intelligent and forth right.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 AM

282 posts, read 1,082,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Nearborn has a point. With the current housing situation I think the trend is not for former suburbanites to move into Detroit, but for Detroit dwellers to move to the ever cheapening suburbs. Homes right now in places like Warrendale, Old Redford, and Brightmoor are only marginally cheaper than a similar home in a much safer neighborhood in Redford, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Livonia, and countless other burbs. Housing within the city limits right now has very little appeal to the average white OR black person who is down on their luck moneywise since for what you would pay in Detroit is doable anywhere else. In my opinion the people looking to move within the city limits right now are either people who want to be progressive about the city and moving it forward OR those who enjoy the ghetto mentality and lifestyle and want to immerse themselves in it.
Hi. I have lived in most of the communities you've mentioned. Don't mention Brightmoor,PLZ. I've heard NIGHTMARES about that place for decades. The cops know, they don't care,they let it go. Detoilet is garbage. Don't take my word for it, check the national stats.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,761,383 times
Thumbs up Investing in the comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Hi. I have lived in most of the communities you've mentioned. Don't mention Brightmoor,PLZ. I've heard NIGHTMARES about that place for decades. The cops know, they don't care,they let it go. Detoilet is garbage. Don't take my word for it, check the national stats.

As a former resident of Brightmoor, that is all I gotta say about that.

Emphasis on former...

Cheap housing, on a block where only 1-3 houses are inhabitable in a city no one cares about, except the city clerk when tax time rolls around.

As an investment strategy, buy a few city blocks while they are cheap, bulldoze the buildings, get a toxic screening of the soil (if you dare) and then build a really nice gated community with green areas in the middle--acting as a common backyard space--sell for the low to mid $100K.

Might consider a few additional blocks, repeat bulldozing, skip toxic screening since it is all contaminated, and PLOW--sow an urban farm growing produce for the residents of the gated community.

Expand residential to farm by a 2:1 ration and eventually provide employment and food for residents of gated community.

AND THEY WILL COME!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or