U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 23,381 times

Advertisements

When I lived there it never seemed to be a problem, but I am hispanic, and I think the general consensus is that in Detroit, racism is largely against blacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 13,081 times
Whoever is crying about getting their car searched in Detroit and getting a "bogus" ticket....join the club. I live in Fraser. Am a prissy white girl. I have had my car searched NUMEROUS times because "I fit the description". Being young in general, I have gotten pulled over and HARASSED by cops in Royal Oak, Rochester, Fraser....you name it. They either assume i'm drunk because i'm young, or are just bored and want to go on a power trip. Cops using their authority to their advantage is a totally different topic. Back onto this topic, if you move anywhere downtown or certain areas in midtown, new center or corktown, there will not be ANY problems. I'm white, and have never had a problem downtown. Yes, in certain markets or stores outside these areas, you will get some "what the heck is this girl doing here" looks....but I guarentee you guys do that to some homeless-looking-type if he were to walk into the Bloomingdales in your area. Any area where you might have a problem, you would NEVER buy a home or condo there anyways.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:17 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,553,867 times
My experience with the blacks in Detroit are good.

I'm a darker white guy, half Hispanic (Mexican), and though I sometimes get odd looks if I stray south of 8 Mile, the people in general are friendly, and willing to help me out as a newcomer to the city. I've asked for directions with "please" and "thank you" south of 8 MANY times and been met with a smile every time. Shopkeepers are wonderful and friendly regardless of colour. I've made quite a few friends just wandering and exploring Love Detroit.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,553,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnic View Post
Whoever is crying about getting their car searched in Detroit and getting a "bogus" ticket....join the club. I live in Fraser. Am a prissy white girl. I have had my car searched NUMEROUS times because "I fit the description". Being young in general, I have gotten pulled over and HARASSED by cops in Royal Oak, Rochester, Fraser....you name it. They either assume i'm drunk because i'm young, or are just bored and want to go on a power trip. Cops using their authority to their advantage is a totally different topic. Back onto this topic, if you move anywhere downtown or certain areas in midtown, new center or corktown, there will not be ANY problems. I'm white, and have never had a problem downtown. Yes, in certain markets or stores outside these areas, you will get some "what the heck is this girl doing here" looks....but I guarentee you guys do that to some homeless-looking-type if he were to walk into the Bloomingdales in your area. Any area where you might have a problem, you would NEVER buy a home or condo there anyways.
I've had a bad experience with the Royal Oak cops. They're all a lot of pricks. Also, the Huntington Woods cops.

Pulled over for 3 over in the middle of the day... REALLY?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Haha another reason why I hate Royal Oak! I've been called a b****, a spoiled brat...numerous things by cops. Just trying to feel powerful and make up for the fact that they had no friends growing up. His complaint about the Detroit cop doesn't effect me and I could not take less seriously. There are good and bad cops in every city. Detroit is an AWESOME place to live if you enjoy downtown living. No matter your color, you will not have a problem. As far as people with kids, unless you can pay for private schooling, it probably isn't a good idea! But we gotta start somewhere!! I wish more young professionals or people without kids would stop being so close minded and give the city a chance. I guarentee they'd change their minds.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 PM

4,720 posts, read 8,567,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnic View Post
I've been called a b****, a spoiled brat...numerous things by cops. Just trying to feel powerful and make up for the fact that they had no friends growing up.
Police should be civil when conversing with you. If anyone does that to you again, first ask them politely to be civil - If another insult happens, ask for their names or remember their names on their ID badges, and then tell their supervisors at the police department.

If you get their names and tell on them, the name calling will stop quickly.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM

I wish it were that easy. I've come to the conclusion that when going against a cop...you will NEVER win. When brought up in court, it is simply denied and forgotten about. Unless you have audio and video proof, and hire a lawyer...it is a waste of time. In the cities I have been pulled over in, they are nothing more than traffic cops with nothing better to do all day long. But this should be a whole different topic! Haha...what city has the worst cops!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM

97 posts, read 215,793 times
Listen!!! Ra-ci-sm is per-man-ent!!! Not only is it in detroit, but it's the whole country. But no matter what, we will always be one from detroit, chicago, new york city, los angeles, and all over the other places of u.s of a!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 AM

282 posts, read 1,083,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, that's the other thing...(continuing the same as I posted on above).

It's one thing to be a grown adult and move to a place among other grown adults. It does seem like the school system is a completely other kind of animal.

Same when I lived in NYC, I felt absolutely fine there. But kids who grew up and went through the public school system had something completely different to say about it.

(When I was living in NYC, I was living in some of the sketchy areas like Washington Heights & later Brooklyn among a few other places). (I'm also white).
Ya know, What does a high school kid know? He/she is learning. They know nothing of the way of the world/politics.
Can't anyone SEE where this country is going? So you're white. Why bring it up? That has NOTHING to do with it. Everyone still wants into this country,
not Russia or China or even Europe.
HERE The gov't has sold this country out. It's too late now, read your Bible.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 AM

316 posts, read 789,090 times
Another problem is the perception- for those of us that have never even been to Detroit, the media and news they bring out of that city throws wood on the fire.
I feel I can respond to racism issues ,because here > around Newark NJ> people get the same "perception"- - Its not right, its unfair, and the media can easily start up the smallest of incidents if it means ratings. Its 2010 for cripesakes, sometimes I think they love showing the 1967 street scenes from both of those cities when they get a chance to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or