Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM

225 posts, read 818,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
have you heard this one? two white chicks and a black guy moves to Detroit
the neighbors choices are:

1. All whites move the hell out cause a black man moved in.

2. All Chiristians move out cause a lesbian couple threatens their marriage

3. All blacks align to attack the family cause it is mixed race.

4. EVERYBODY runs like hell cause the FDLS is movin in!

I cannot wait...and they say politics makes strange bedfellows...economics can do more to integrate the populace than even politics!
Various parts of that may have been topical between 1950 and about 1985, depending on what neighborhood you're talking about, but I can't think of one neighborhood in the city where it's topical now......But I admit I don't know what a FDLS is....so that part may still be topical....Is it some type of Harley? I never could keep them straight...FSXT, FTLS, FXTS......Is it a band? Like Hootie and the Blowfish only with chix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,407,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
...But I admit I don't know what a FDLS is...
Our esteemed colleague was probably referring to the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS), an off-shoot of the Church of the Latter Day Saints (known as the Mormons). However, either fumble-fingers or dyslexia may have gotten the better of the poster.

Edited to add:
This offer of explanation neither endorses nor rejects the intent of the originally poster. All rights reserved. Offer not available in all states. Odds of winning are 1 in 10,000,000,000. If you have any further questions, please consult with your health care professional.

Last edited by djmilf; 06-10-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: added disclaimer

Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM

41 posts, read 118,303 times
Angstless: You are a 3 dimensional thinker! Loved your Paradigm. Good example of what happens during bad economic times.

The truth of the matter is this: There is no city where Whites can run from any Minority now. Whites cannot run from Asians, East Indians, Arabs, Latinos or Blacks. The Economic and Employment venues have changed drastically because of our Global Economy and International Trade. The "Living Wage" has been restructured and the middle-class both White and Miniority have been disenfranchised!! Westland and Canton are now becoming the middle class Hubs. Southfield is now become more Middle Eastern. The Black Doctors, lawyers, Nurses, Teachers, Accountants, and other elite Black professionals have left that area.

Many people black, white, and hispanic who have had a lost of Income due to Corporate downsizing, outsoucing, and income restructuring were Forced to move. Many people lost the Income which qualified them for Mortgages to live in the Southfield, Canton, or Westland, or other suburbs. Note, that the GNP has decreased in this country. Ford, Chrysler, General Motors, Delphi, American Axle, and other manufacturing companies have eliminated over 300,000 jobs in the last 5 years!! Believe me some of the employees working for the above companies had Bachelor and Masters degrees. They were not all High School grads. I know, I was employed by General Motors as a salaried employee for over 28 years. I am a victim of the elimination of American Workers who had Incomes and educations that qualified them to live in middle-class neighborhoods. This action was to bring our wage scale in line with foreign sweat shops and foreign carpetbaggers.

If you think Foreclosures are bad now, wait until the Fall. 1 in every 11 homes in this country are now in pre-foreclosure or foreclosure. What say you now!! This information can be verified.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
What say you now!! This information can be verified.
I say a few things:

Don't buy a house you can't afford.

Only buy toys with your overtime, never pay bills with it.

And lastly: If I have to take a drug test to earn money to pay for some welfare recipient to sit on his ass at home while I'm at work, he or she should have to take a drug test to get and keep a Bridge Card.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 PM

41 posts, read 118,303 times
Quote:
"If I have to take a drug test to earn money to pay for some welfare recipient to sit on his ass at home while I'm at work, he or she should have to take a drug test to get and keep a Bridge Card."

Nearborn:

Yes, I firmly agree with you on the above. I have never used a Bridge Card but I guess it is for Food?? Or am I wrong on this!! I don't know anyone that uses a Bridge Card. Sorry! My circle of friends have jobs and have finished College by using Scholarships and Student Loans. I am a grandmother with 6 grandchildren and they all are doing OK in school and look forward to going to college. I agree with you...I really dislike dead-beats and system users who believe that "the government owes them something". By the way I am African-American and my Parents were very strong Southerners. My father worked for Ford Motor Company for 38 years. He and my mother were married 60 years, and raised 9 children. He rarely took a vacation...he said he could not afford it, he took the money instead. He bought a house and paid for it in 10 years!! I have a family who values "a work ethic mentality".

Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM

Yes, Bridge cards took the place of food stamps. Not sure why. Maybe it's easier to prevent some of the fraud, but I doubt it. People have this stereoype of welfare recipients buying food while wearing fur coats and driving expensive cars. While this may be true in some cases, it's usually not the recipient who's doing the buying....It's usually someone who paid fifty cents or a quarter on the dollar to the recipient in the parking lot to buy their card or use their stamps. Then they go buy their food and the person who sold them their stamps or rented them the bridge card buys their drugs.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM

282 posts, read 814,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Yes, Bridge cards took the place of food stamps. Not sure why. Maybe it's easier to prevent some of the fraud, but I doubt it. People have this stereoype of welfare recipients buying food while wearing fur coats and driving expensive cars. While this may be true in some cases, it's usually not the recipient who's doing the buying....It's usually someone who paid fifty cents or a quarter on the dollar to the recipient in the parking lot to buy their card or use their stamps. Then they go buy their food and the person who sold them their stamps or rented them the bridge card buys their drugs.
You sure got that right..

Old 06-13-2008, 04:08 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Back to the original topic.

owego, I am going to be honest. There is alot of hatred towards whites in Detroit. I won't lie to you. There is also hatred towards blacks in Detroit. There is alot of hate in Detroit period. It is historic and sadly, scary. I don't know personally how you would be received in Detroit other than the fact that if you want to be accepted, it is going to take alot of work because from what I have been informed, there is alot of distrust towards whites.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:25 PM

282 posts, read 814,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

owego, I am going to be honest. There is alot of hatred towards whites in Detroit. I won't lie to you. There is also hatred towards blacks in Detroit. There is alot of hate in Detroit period. It is historic and sadly, scary. I don't know personally how you would be received in Detroit other than the fact that if you want to be accepted, it is going to take alot of work because from what I have been informed, there is alot of distrust towards whites.
I agree.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 AM

156 posts, read 562,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

from what I have been informed, there is alot of distrust towards whites.
I've seen you make other positive posts, pirate_lafitte, so I am not going to rip you open on this, but the key to your message (and Maxine3's reply) is that you admit that it is "from what [you] have been informed." My perspective is first person. I am a white person living in Detroit and have never experienced any reverse racism. Now I agree that there is still a lot of latent racism going both ways, but to the extent it doesn't come to the surface does it really matter? The good honest hardworking black people of this city, and there are a hell of a lot more of those than the drug-dealing murderers, are happy to have the diversity and economic contribution. Particularly in the nicer neighborhoods such as Boston-Edison, Palmer Woods and Indian Village, which are majority black, there is a high sense of community regardless of race/ethnicity.

Yeah, on occasion I get funny looks when I am the only non-black person in a store somewhere, but it is more of the "I wonder what he is doing here" kind of look as opposed to a "go home cracker" sort of look; in other words I never feel threatened. And if I go to a primarily black enterntainment spot like a little R&B club somewhere, the looks I get are more of a "welcome to our world" look and the positive attention my friends and I receive can border on the embarrassing. The music scene in the many fine jazz and blues joints in the city really seem to iron out the differences, where a 50-50 or 60-40 crowd all just get into the groove and enjoy the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit