Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,180 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a fellow east sider. I remember cruisin' Balduck, and hanging out at Heilman park. Does any one else remember the WABX Kite-ins back in the early 70s? I got plenty wet sitting on a rock in the river watching the boat races from the Water Works.Doing 0-60 on Metro pkwy and going to head shops to buy papers and black light posters. Sander's hot fudge sundaes at Eastland after school, with a cold walk back home with our uniform skirts rolled as high as we could get them. What was the hang out across from the Macomb mall back in the seventies? It had head shops and arcades. it was THE cool place to go.
I could go on forever, and probably will at some time.
Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadtsideguy View Post
I grew up in the 70's in detroit and saw many great things go by the wayside.
But here are some good memories:
Being able to go pretty much anywhere till the street lights came on. And be safe.
The woods theater on mack near St. Johns hospital.$.50 for 2 movies and a cartoon, and they let you watch them again.
Riding our bikes to jefferson to go swimming.
Frozen Custard.
SwimMobile and block parties.
On Tv(ok not so great)
crusin gratiot
Paper drives for the boyscouts
The zoo and greenfield village trips
And more.

I still own my childhood home, the lady who rents it has lived there longer then we did. Checked google maps and see there are only 6 houses left on my block.
so sad.
Well thats some childhood memories for ya.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,180 times
Also, does anyone know what the name of the church on the corner or E. Davison and Justine was before it became Greater Concord Baptist? It looks as if it was a Catholic church and grade school.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM

151 posts, read 639,360 times
I'm sure that this has already been posted by many others, but I miss Vernors, Faygo and Lou's Deli.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 AM

26 posts, read 134,181 times
Let's see, I lived in Detroit from 1983 (when I was born), until June of 1993. I lived near Joy Rd just east of Southfield Freeway. My neighborhood was very loud at night, lots of sirens, gunshots, alarms and yelling. What was really bad was how the city didn't take any care of that area, grafiti from 1984 devil's night was still around and the street was cracked and there were many delapidated and empty lots. I was always offered drugs and was beaten up 4 times before I was 10. As a black, I can honestly say that this area brings out the worst in us as since that hood was so bad that everyone wanted a piece of someone else. The Catholic Church that my family attended was closed in 1989 and the closest parish to us was in Redford. I was afraid to ride my bike around 15-16 year-old kids would knock me off and steel it.

By 1993, my father was so fed up with Coleman Young and the fact that there was such a lack of maintenance in our neighborhood, that he decided to move us to a nice suburb. We moved to Plymouth which is a great town with lots of nice people. I actually felt safe there. My parents still live there, and I now am renting a place in Garden City which isn't bad either.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM

225 posts, read 815,173 times
Quote:
The Catholic Church that my family attended was closed in 1989 and the closest parish to us was in Redford.
SS Peter and Paul is still open...very close to Southfield/Joy, St. Thomas Aquinas is still open at Evergreen and Ford, St. Christopher is still open at Woodmont. All three are closer than Redford.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:52 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,460,150 times
Does anyone remember the Catholic church on S.Oakwood? St. Mary's Magalden? (not sure of the correct spelling...)

Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkow1 View Post
Also, does anyone know what the name of the church on the corner or E. Davison and Justine was before it became Greater Concord Baptist? It looks as if it was a Catholic church and grade school.
I think that was Our Lady of Visitation, my mother grew up going to that one before it closed.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
SS Peter and Paul is still open...very close to Southfield/Joy, St. Thomas Aquinas is still open at Evergreen and Ford, St. Christopher is still open at Woodmont. All three are closer than Redford.
Yeah, but Aquinas was under renovation and we didn't have the internet so it wasn't so easy to find others. Also, I just talked to my dad and the main reason we went to St. Val's in Redford was b/c that was where our priest went after St. Mary's closed in 1989.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:34 PM

225 posts, read 815,173 times
Quote:
the main reason we went to St. Val's in Redford was b/c that was where our priest went after St. Mary's closed in 1989.
There you go. There were a number of Catholic Churches still open in the area back then. Still are.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM

89 posts, read 335,686 times
The BIG-8...CKLW...the best radio station on the planet from the mid-60's to mid-70's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit