U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:44 AM

14,551 posts, read 13,280,269 times

Advertisements

Ahhh...okay, that makes more sense. Maybe I misread the original poster. I got the impression that the exact same subject matter was being taught twice - once in English and once in the second language. What you describe is teaching half the material in English and half in the second language.

Interesting concept. Thanks for explaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Default Immersion Spanish in Detroit

Wow, this reply is apparently two years late. However, if you are still looking for a Spanish immersion school in Detroit try the Academy of the Americas. They are currently a dual language immersion school. Hope this helps. Roxanna

Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM

348 posts, read 571,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
That's exactly the idea of an immersion program. In our case the Chinese portion is not a repetition of the morning work in English but rather part of their math, social studies etc is learned in chinese. They also learn about Chinese culture and history. Also the songs and stories they read in the classroom are the same that are taught to school children in China.

We speak exclusively Spanish at home and all of our kids are completely fluent in both English and Spanish ( with no accents). I would love him to be fluent in Chinese too.

It's a winning combination. Can't lose out with Chinese and Spanish under your belt.
Sweden just introduced Chinese as a grade school language option (beside being bilingual English-Swedish speakers.....Swedes are also offered French and Spanish as a THIRD language from grade school....and through high school.
The Swedish ministry of education has just announced that Chinese will be a new third language option.....and the reason given in the announcement is "in order to make Sweden competitive in the NEW world marketplace".

My son was quite hesitant to learn or speak anything but English, (I speak 5.5 languages) but once he started travelling and seeing the world.....once he met kids who by the age of 7 were already trilingual, he realized how ignorant he was.

Being a monolingual Anglophone is passe.
Britannia doesn't rule the waves....no more.
And America's drowning in debt.
In order to get around these days, you'd better have some serious talent, and/or good academic credentials, and at least a couple of languages on your resume.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 PM

812 posts, read 1,695,241 times
Charlotte Mecklenburg (NC) schools offer Language Immersion programs in Spanish, German, Chinese and Japanese I believe as part of their magnet programs starting in K. They also have IB in Elementary with a Spanish component. It isn't just the SW of the USA. I wish my local schools would begin Spanish early. I think 1/4 of my community is Spanish speaking at this point.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,553,009 times
They say learning a language actually improves a child's ability to learn in other subject matters. It adds a whole new level of thinking. I was raised speaking German and Spanish, so I can attest personally that it's really cool when you run into a gorgeous German girl backpacking in downtown who is asking for directions but hardly speaks English and can communicate with her ;D

Also, here in the upper south, several states away from the Mexican border, we have an entire section of town with adverts and stores conducting in Spanish only. There's a Hispanic soccer league (which I am a part of and love it compared to the regular one) and it's always funny to watch HBO Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit