Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,763,548 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few abandoned buildings in Detroit (not sure how many).

If you ran the city, what would you do with all the buildings? Some say they're causing a health hazard, they might be prone to fires. Would you tear them all down? What would you put in their place? Would you tear some down and rehab others?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM

214 posts, read 1,058,677 times
I would rehab some that are worth it but tear down most. There a big threat to people living near them. There is a threat of fire, rape, drugs and more. Actually I don`t know what to put in their place new homes might work but maybe people won`t move into them they`ll just be end up vacant like the ones before.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,133,848 times
I am an extreme preservationist, so my desire would be to keep as many as possible, because these old buildings, their architecture and such, distinguish Detroit from its neighboring suburbs.

The problem is securing these properties. You have rampant stripping of vacant houses, apt buildings, and commercial structures by scrappers who are breaking in and tearing out any thing of value. These thieves needed to be apprehended and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Also, the OFTEN-ABSENTEE owners of these houses/buildings need to be pressured and penalized by the City for not maintaining and adequately securing their properties. What happens so often is that, after these houses/buildings have been stripped by the degenerates, they sit open and unsecured for weeks and months at a time. Why aren't these owners securing/taking care of their properties (which is their lawful duty)!

In conclusion, those buildings that can be saved - put a new roof on them, and keep them secured and locked tight, and they won't be a danger to the surrounding neighborhood. Now whose going to do all that, I don't know.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 AM

422 posts, read 754,065 times
I would have all the liberals lined up and shot.

I kid, I kid.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:42 PM

214 posts, read 1,058,677 times
You know I heard of something that a city in decline starts tearing itself down to condense all the people left together maybe that could work. Detroit is having alot of problems and theres just to much vacant land and houses it hurts the tax base and theres no need to just leave that land there.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,332,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I am an extreme preservationist, so my desire would be to keep as many as possible, because these old buildings, their architecture and such, distinguish Detroit from its neighboring suburbs.
It just breaks my heart to see what has haapened to the Michigan Central building. When I was a kid, some 45 years ago, and my teenage brother would have to babysit, he would take us for a ride on the train to downtown Detroit. He loved trains, still does; retired from CSX a few years back. We would walk from our house, just past Main Street in Royal Oak, over to the Grand Trunk station on 11 Mile. The cars were nearly always deserted that time of the day, so we could stretch out on the seats and tell stories or sing. If there was time, we might get a soda, but usually we had just enough time to board the train going back out to Oakland county.
He got to satisfy his craving, and keep us safe at the same time; and it was nice to break the monotony when our freinds were gone on summer vacation.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:38 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,763,548 times
If you check out WorldNetDaily Ellis Washington has an article about if he were mayor of Detroit. Not sure if I should link to it since there's some cursing in it (nothing too harsh, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: