Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

[quote=iamweasel;4137970]Are you nuts? The guy said he wanted very good schools. That requirement alone would eliminate Westland, Garden City, Allen Park, and any other downriver community IMO.

interesting. Grosse Ile is downriver and it is one of the a very few high schools to be rates with all A's in the Michigan rating system.

Trenton schools are decent. Dearborn has some good schools. Some of the districts further downriver are quite good. Even Detroit has some top rated schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 86,448 times
We ended up choosing a place in Rochester Hills. Looks like they have good schools as well as the parks, etc.. that we were looking for.

Thank you all for the help!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Rochester hills has excellent schools. You are also near Cranbrook - one of the best private schools in the country. (in case you are ridiculously wealthy).

Old 06-28-2008, 05:20 PM

21 posts, read 86,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Rochester hills has excellent schools. You are also near Cranbrook - one of the best private schools in the country. (in case you are ridiculously wealthy).
Haha, I just checked out (for ****s and giggles) the tuition for Cranbrook...yea...no.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:07 PM

225 posts, read 817,867 times
Quote:
Haha, I just checked out (for ****s and giggles) the tuition for Cranbrook...yea...no.
They have scholarship opportunities to keep the student body "real".

Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 AM

85 posts, read 279,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthemike View Post
We ended up choosing a place in Rochester Hills. Looks like they have good schools as well as the parks, etc.. that we were looking for.

Thank you all for the help!

We have put in an offer in a home in RH as well -- darn builder is out of town though and I am sitting on pins and needles --- jeez you would think in this market that a seller wouldn't wait 3 days for a counter offer! Boy am I frustrated

Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 53,626 times
Growing up I lived in Livonia (which some parts arent as nice as it used to be)... after college I lived in Plymouth and Northville (great places!), and during grad school I lived in Novi. You might want to check there - they have great schools, a hockey rink (on Northville Rd between 9 and 10 mile), and decent apartments (Saddle Creek, we lived there during grad school, rent is now prob 1200 for a 2 BR with a washer/dryer). Plus, 12 Oaks mall is less than 10 mins away, with the (newer) little downtown Novi area and West Oaks shopping area/nightlife (Buffalo Wild Wings, ice cream, movies, lots of things to do). There is also a newer apt complex in the 'downtown' Novi section, but I cant remember what it's called. Since it's relatively new, it's probably more money. Overall, Novi is great - lots of life and activity, but still is grounded for families, if that makes sense.

Plymouth is close, 15-20 mins, cute walking downtown with shops and a park in the center of town. They also have a Sprayscape (a little spray park for kids - free!), which will be great for your GF's son in August. Great town for kids, lots to do. 336 is a fun place for drinks (for you two), and a few great restaurants.

And Northville is the next town over, 5-10 mins. They have a great library, music in their park in the summer, some cute cafes and places to eat. Plus, a great park off of Griswold and Main St. Make sure to eat at Rebecca's for breakfast (right in downtown)! Also lots of activities/events for kids in Northville. Cool pub and lounge-y bar downtown...

You may end up with a 45 min commute, BUT, you have every convenience you need in a very nice area - good for you, GF and her son.

Good luck!!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 53,626 times
Ok, so sorry - didnt realize you chose Rochester Hills! Hope you enjoy it!! And make sure you check out Novi. : )

(I dont even live in MI anymore, but just really enjoyed that area when we lived there last)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit