U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
 
225 posts, read 750,016 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

I didn't "take credit" for Obama, I merely pointed out that despite 400 years of oppression, institutional racism, white people holding multitudes of qualified black people back just becuase they're black (supposedly), black people who want to work not being able to get ahead merely because of their race, out of control irresponsible procreation out of all proportion to per capita numbers, same with prison demographics....Despite all these things a black guy is going to be a major party nominee for president.

Nope, I'm not going to vote for him, but enough white people did vote for him in the primary to make it happen. It is what it is. There's not as much of a white conspiracy to keep the black man down as is supposed by many who use the big conspiracy as an excuse for failure. At the annual white peoples' conspiracy meeting, we talked all about it.

Quote:
Yet....you want to use that to somehow dispell the proposition of a racist America.....WHEN YOU DID NOT AND WILL NOT VOTE FOR HIM. So what does that say about YOU?
I guess it says I'm a racist cuz I didn't vote for Obama. Is that the right answer? I did, however, write in Cliff Huxtable....

 
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM
 
12,486 posts, read 7,585,778 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
I didn't "take credit" for Obama, I merely pointed out that despite 400 years of oppression, institutional racism, white people holding multitudes of qualified black people back just becuase they're black (supposedly), black people who want to work not being able to get ahead merely because of their race, out of control irresponsible procreation out of all proportion to per capita numbers, same with prison demographics....Despite all these things a black guy is going to be a major party nominee for president.

Nope, I'm not going to vote for him, but enough white people did vote for him in the primary to make it happen. It is what it is. There's not as much of a white conspiracy to keep the black man down as is supposed by many who use the big conspiracy as an excuse for failure. At the annual white peoples' conspiracy meeting, we talked all about it.



I guess it says I'm a racist cuz I didn't vote for Obama. Is that the right answer? I did, however, write in Cliff Huxtable....

Well...If Obama had not managed to get 90% of the black vote.....he would not be the Nominee. Obama really won because the primary process is flawed. The Obama racked up his wins in states with large black populations and states that held Caucuses. Caucuses uses extrapolation from a small sample of voters that is often not reflective of an actual vote count. Granted, his victory cannot be dimminished......but its untrue to suggest that the majority of white folks voted for him. Not even the majorirty of white democrats voted for him. Getting 90% of the black vote and increased black voter participation in the primary process is what did it for him. Had 30% of blacks voted for Clinton.....like 30% of whites voted for Obama.....Clinton would have won. Clinton however lost the black vote when it appeared Bill and her made negative racial comments (although to me they did not).
 
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
 
225 posts, read 750,016 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Well...If Obama had not managed to get 90% of the black vote.....he would not be the Nominee.
Wow, 90% huh? That sure is a big slice of the block. But they didn't vote for him merely because he was black? Nah.

Speaking of extropolation: Do you think it's reasonable to extropolate that Obama would not be the nominee were it not for black people who chose their candidate based solely on race and guilty-feeling white folks?

Will "I'm not racist because some of my best friends are black" be replaced by "I'm not racist because I voted for Obama"? What progress...
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
 
12,486 posts, read 7,585,778 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Wow, 90% huh? That sure is a big slice of the block. But they didn't vote for him merely because he was black? Nah.

Speaking of extropolation: Do you think it's reasonable to extropolate that Obama would not be the nominee were it not for black people who chose their candidate based solely on race and guilty-feeling white folks?

Will "I'm not racist because some of my best friends are black" be replaced by "I'm not racist because I voted for Obama"? What progress...
I think many black people have a false hope that a black president will look out for the issues important to the black community (in conjunction/addition to the interest of all other Americans) that white presidents and politicians seem to grant deference to. Black folks are not really voting for him because they don’t want to vote for a white president, because we have done that since we gained the freedom to vote. Blacks have ALWAYS voted for white candidates. Whites, on the other hand, many of them don’t want to vote for a black person to be president. That’s a big difference.

of course whites will be using an obama vote to argue against the perception that they may be racist.
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 PM
 
225 posts, read 750,016 times
Reputation: 122
Who has a greater chance of being elected, all other things being equal: A hypothetical black guy for president, or a hypothetical white guy for mayor of Detroit?
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
 
12,486 posts, read 7,585,778 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Who has a greater chance of being elected, all other things being equal: A hypothetical black guy for president, or a hypothetical white guy for mayor of Detroit?


Detroit would elect a hypothetical white guy over a hypothetical black guy if that hypothetical white guy reflected the beliefs, issues and passions of black people while the hypothetical black guy did not. By the same token, white America would elect a hypothetical black guy over a hypothetical white guy if the hypothetical black guy reflected the beliefs, issues and passions of white America more than the white guy.

What you forget is that will live in a representative republic where its not the COLOR of the candidate that matters the most, but rather, the color (via majority rule) of their electorate. In other words, a black person can carry out racist policies against black, for personal gain or conviction, just as well as a white person can…..if not better. By the same token, a white person can stand up for the plight of black people and be elected by black people, as well as can a black politician. So its really NOT the color of the politician, its THEIR MESSAGE and what race that message maps to.
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 PM
 
225 posts, read 750,016 times
Reputation: 122
The values of black people are the same as the values of white people. Family, church, work hard to earn a living for your family, get an education for your kids so they can compete.

Which values were you thinking of?

Funny, Newt mentions the asphalt guy I've mentioned before:

YouTube - Response to Obama, 7: Liberals and the fall of Detroit

Quote:
Detroit would elect a hypothetical white guy over a hypothetical black guy if that hypothetical white guy reflected the beliefs, issues and passions of black people while the hypothetical black guy did not.
Sorry, but that's just downright funny. It amazes me that you're either so naive or expect the rest of us to be so naive as to believe that white people won't vote for a black candidate based only on his race, but if some white guy ran for mayor of Detroit and he advanced black "issues and passions", whatever that means, that he could beat a lesser black candidate because black voters are so much more colorblind that white voters. That's utter nonsense. A white person will never be mayor of Detroit as long as he's a white person and as long as Detroit is still the Detroit we all know and love.

Last edited by Nearborn; 06-26-2008 at 02:36 PM..
 
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
 
12,486 posts, read 7,585,778 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
The values of black people are the same as the values of white people. Family, church, work hard to earn a living for your family, get an education for your kids so they can compete.

Which values were you thinking of?

Funny, Newt mentions the asphalt guy I've mentioned before:

YouTube - Response to Obama, 7: Liberals and the fall of Detroit



Sorry, but that's just downright funny. It amazes me that you're either so naive or expect the rest of us to be so naive as to believe that white people won't vote for a black candidate based only on his race, but if some white guy ran for mayor of Detroit and he advanced black "issues and passions", whatever that means, that he could beat a lesser black candidate because black voters are so much more colorblind that white voters. That's utter nonsense. A white person will never be mayor of Detroit as long as he's a white person and as long as Detroit is still the Detroit we all know and love.

Most Democrats and Republicans share the same values and beliefs. However, what makes one a democrat or a republican is not the 90% of things that they agree upon....but the 10% of things that they disagree with. By the same token, most blacks and whites share the same interest as AMERICANS, however, we have strikingly different histories in this nation that has manifested in socioeconomic inequalities that differentiates and seperates us. Most blacks are for affirmative action, most blacks would support the concept of reparations (not as a check to be handed out...however). Most blacks support an expanded role of government in solving problems that the government itself help to create via its laws....ect...ect. Most whites are antithetical to many of these black mainstream positions.
 
Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
 
225 posts, read 750,016 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Most blacks are for affirmative action, most blacks would support the concept of reparations (not as a check to be handed out...however).
You mean most black people wouldn't take a check for reparations? Or they just wouldn't WANT to take it...? I'm descended from a long line of poor white folks from the coal camps of southeastern Kentucky. Although I'm more successful than my grandparents, all I can really afford for my part of reparations are these delicious Rice Krispy Treats and I hope you'll accept them as a humble token of my sincere apology for what the white man has done to you. But....since my house was burglarized by several black guys who no doubt had no other choice in light of life they found themselves in, I feel I've partially done my part in contributing various household goods to the cause, and will be taking two of The Rice Krispy Treats for myself.....
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_food_blog/images/2008/05/08/ricekrispiesst.jpg (broken link)
 
Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
 
12,486 posts, read 7,585,778 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
You mean most black people wouldn't take a check for reparations? Or they just wouldn't WANT to take it...? I'm descended from a long line of poor white folks from the coal camps of southeastern Kentucky. Although I'm more successful than my grandparents, all I can really afford for my part of reparations are these delicious Rice Krispy Treats and I hope you'll accept them as a humble token of my sincere apology for what the white man has done to you. But....since my house was burglarized by several black guys who no doubt had no other choice in light of life they found themselves in, I feel I've partially done my part in contributing various household goods to the cause, and will be taking two of The Rice Krispy Treats for myself.....
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_food_blog/images/2008/05/08/ricekrispiesst.jpg (broken link)
You are obviously obfuscating and have descended into typical diversionary BS......the ubiquitous typical last stand of the morally and intellectually constipated….resulting in mental flatulence.

I don’t have the nose any longer for your mental farts. Enjoy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top