U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 AM

20 posts, read 50,728 times

Advertisements

2 years ago I left Detroit for a job on the west coast after being there for 3 years. Originally from California, I found the suburbs of RO, Birmingham very much to my liking as well as Ann Arbor. Now that I'm thinking of starting a family, thoughts of moving back to the Detroit suburbs are coming to mind. Obviously all my friends are encouraging me, painting a rosy picture but I'd like to ask this forum for a reality check.

How is the economy doing? I'd be heading back for an IT job in the financial sector and while I have no worries about my position, I'm worried about whether the suburbs at this point may be experiencing the same decay and vacancy rates as Detroit proper. Is that a problem? Out west all we hear about are about blocks of vacancies in the mid-west.

Is there any unrest with the whole Kwame affair? Do people on this board forsee unrest if Kwame actually gets convicted? Let's not have any talks about his innocence... my concern is whether if he is convicted what are the chances for unrest.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 AM

418 posts, read 1,656,566 times
IMO, the suburbs are fine in regards to decay. We moved here a year ago from the south, and because we have small children, we didn't even consider Detroit proper. That was hard for us, because we have always lived in a big city.

I frequent Birmingham, Royal Oak, Bloomfield Hills, Troy, and I live in W. Bloomfield. Aside from the prices of homes dropping, I don't see any other problems. There are some foreclosures, but in my neighborhood, we don't have any. In the areas mentioned above, you won't find much decay or vacancy.

I will warn you however, that on this board, you will find TONS of negative comments. A lot of people really hate it here, but they are usually the ones that are (unfortunately) unemployed and so they vent their frustrations here. If you are truly gainfully employed with good job security, then I see no reason why you shouldn't look into coming back!

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 AM

418 posts, read 1,656,566 times
Oh, and as for Kwame? I think the general consensus is that he is a giant idiot. I don't think many people will be disappointed if he is convicted (which I highly doubt will happen). The proof is all out there for everyone to see, so it isn't like this is some big conspiracy against Kwame. He's just a jacka$$.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 PM

37 posts, read 112,032 times
The economy is not good, but if you are looking for the right job you will be ok. I am leaving to move to North Carolina in a few weeks....I am a teacher and there is no way I get a job here when schools are laying off any teachers with 7 years or less experience in their district. My boyfriend on the other hand is in IT and he is working and has had 3 other companies try to pull him away from his job in the last 6 months. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:48 PM

27,781 posts, read 65,717,121 times
We moved back from Orange County for similar reasons. We were looking for a better place to raise kids and we found it here.

The economy is very bad. The worst in the nation I think. However even very bad, there is still a substantial economy here. Finding a job may be tough and you should not even think about moving back unless you have a job. I joined a law firm in Detroit after moving here and they have been growing continually for the past three years, not everything is bad. The economy is rough everywhere. California's inland empire, recently one of the fastest growing places in the nation, has basically shut down all growth. No one is building much of anything there now.

One nice thing about Michigan is that everything is cheaper. Gas in Orange COunty costs about $4.45 last time I bought some. In Michgan a few days earlier, I paid $3.97. Housing is incredibly cheaper, movies are a little bit cheaper, food, clothing, pretty much everything is just a little bit less. It all adds up to a considerably cheaper cost of living. Part of the cheaper housing costs gets eaten up by the cost of heating in the winter and increased maintenance.

Good Luck

Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM

123 posts, read 452,204 times
Hi. I grew up in MI but moved to Ventura in Ca but had to come home to MI due to health issues. I really like Ca though minus the crazy prices. Finding a job here may be hard so maybe start looking before you move. The prices here and I live in Troy but lived in West Bloomfield and other areas are way cheaper then Ca. Like I am paying 500 less a month for 1 bedroom. Even groceries or simle things like oil changes are cheaper. In the areas you are talking there are foreclosures yes but in most areas it doesn't look horrible. My mom in WB had one near her home that was not great looking but someone moved in now so hopefully they will make repairs. I would be careful depending on your finances in buying here. My thoughts on that is if you are rich and are not worried about your job this would be the time to buy cause you could get a great deal. If you are working class and are on a budget with a chance of loosing your job then I say no. Lastly as someone who has moved states many times be realistic. Issues you may have come with you and sometimes it is easy to glorify things.Good luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,316,895 times
Unemployment is high here, but in many specialized fields there aren't enough people with the skills and education to fill the jobs so the pay tends to be good and there are a lot of openings. My bf and I moved here from San Diego and he had offers within a month of starting the search, and he still gets calls from potential employers. I started my own business, and I am doing well, in part because of the lower rents and cost of living here.

Metro Detroit is going through a very painful ending of the well paid blue collar lifestyle, and it is really hurting a lot of people, but I feel in time Michigan will adjust and head in some other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit