U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 50,609 times

Advertisements

You're right, Wayne State is in Mid-town, correct? A little less than 2 miles away. Nevertheless, how long of a commute would it be to Birmingham, Troy, or Berkley? I understand it would vary depending on time of day and construction, but I'm wondering if someone actually makes this commute on a regular and could tell me how much time I'm looking at? I'm concerned it might be too hefty of a commute.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 PM

225 posts, read 750,740 times
I used to drive regularly from Plymouth (5 Mile and Haggerty) to 94 and Trumbull which is pretty much right at Wayne. 5 Mile is right by 96 and I could get to 94 and Trumbull in about 20 minutes on a normal to good day around 7:30am. Bad day...during rush hour eastbound...could be an hour if there's a crash on the freeway.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 PM

37 posts, read 112,032 times
If you like the "Downtown" Ann Arbor area, Royal Oak's downtown area remind me a lot of Ann Arbor. Canton would probably be a 35 minute commute, but you could get your "green space" and more open areas, as well as being close to Ann Arbor for that quick visit for dinner or whatever. There may also be some areas in Novi/Northville where you can meet your requirements.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 AM

Yes, I forgot how convenient the western Wayne suburbs are to Ann Arbor. That would definately be a plus for the academic types (and the rest of us too)!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM

27,781 posts, read 65,717,121 times
Wow. I thought I tended to drive too fast. Looking at some of the times here, I drive like an old grandpa (I rarely exceed 85 mph). These people are flying.

It takes my brother an 47 minutes to get from Plymouth to downtown Detroit where he works. It took me 20 minutes just to get on the freeway in Canton (off of Michigan avenue).

Check the milage on google maps or map quest and then adjust it for your normal driving speed. Add the time it takes to get to and from the freeways and the time it takes to park. Each person is going to have a substantially different time depending on their habits, distance from the freeway, parking arrangements, etc.

I drive to work in about 35 - 40 minutes, but it takes another 10-12 minutes to get from the parking garage to my office. Parking and walking time may change your idea of an acceptable commute time.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:45 PM

5 and Haggerty is about 20 miles from Trumbull and I-94. I can easily make that in 20-25 minutes depending on what lights I make and if there's traffic on I-96 and I-94. If traffic is flowing well, I can do 70-75mph easy. If traffic is heavy, it might take me an hour. I can probably make it even FASTER on my motorcycle, but I've never timed that ride.

As you know, a 15 minute change in departure time can make a huge difference in your commute.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,316,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfarmer View Post
Yeah Cardwellave.. I gotta second that comment. Fairlane has gotten MUCH WORSE in the last few years... Granted I moved here ten years ago (to michigan), but I never noticed how bad Fairlane was until now. I go there from time to time, but cringe when I walk inside. The patrons are almost all young inner city youth with pants hanging far below their waists. It isn't so much their hideous fashion that bothers me, it's their leers and thuggish demeanor that facilitates a very necessary boycott by those who wish to visit a shopping complex with their families – sans fear of being mrobbed [sic] by "hustlers and pimps." Massive groups of kids with no care in the world, except the gun in their waistband and their incessant desire to hold the world at bay with it; and I know this because a good friend of mine was a security guard at Fairlane for quite a few years. I've literally seen a guy get his cell phone yanked right out of his hand as he was talking on it, by a group of teenagers. Things got so bad at Fairlane a few years ago, that they had to enforce a rule that disallowed any minor to enter the premises without someone over the age of 21 or 25 I think it was. You will constantly see Dearborn Police being called to arrest someone for fighting, shoplifting or otherwise "gettin' crunked." It's a pretty crappy mall. Doesn't "look" bad interior-wise, but the clientele is what drives people like me to other malls like Somerset and Twelve Oaks. Now that it's summertime, I can't imagine what kind of trouble this out-of-school behavior will procure at the mall. Yeesh! Get me outta here.
I have been to Fairlane 4-5 times in the last couple weeks and find this absurd. No one leered at me or appeared to be carrying a gun. I saw women with children there. I saw white, black, and middle eastern people. There were no crimes or fights. If you are being leered at, I suspect it's because you are looking at every black teen as though there were a criminal because you don't like their fashion sense and they are responding in kind.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 PM

123 posts, read 452,204 times
I understand not wanting to commute too much but at the same time lets say it take you 10 minutes each way extra a day but you like the area so much better. It would be worth it. As for fairlane it is just a older more run down area I feel. I have not been there in years. Somerset is newer and obviously since expensive especially the one side is going to bring a more well off crowd. I think Birmingham is super cute and Troy is nice. Berkley not so much but again everyone is different. I would choose Birmingham but I do feel there homes were overpriced for how small they are. Again good school districts though.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM

27,781 posts, read 65,717,121 times
Went to the movies at Fairlane with my kids. We had a blast. It was a lively crowd and people kept talking tot he characters and yelling at them. Some people jumped up and danced a victory dance. It was rowdy, but very amusing. I have never been to a theater where people were like that at least not since Rocky Horror Picture Show. But this was just a normal movie. Cant remember what it was, one of the superhero movies.

We find Fairlane ok. a but run down. I found even Southland mall to be nicer than Fairlane. Nicest mall beside somerset that we have found in the area is the one down near Toledo. Cant recall the name, it is off the 475.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,899 times
Default to dfmovingsoon

I'm kind of late coming to this forum, but I hope not too late to help. I was born and raised in Birmingham, then at age 31 bought a house in Clawson. In my opinion, it is perfect. Taxes are incredibly low, it has no status of any kind so you gan get a good sized house for a very good price. It is situated close to downtown Birmingham, even closer to Royal Oak so you get the plus of those city's downtowns without having to pay their monster property taxes. You're close to 2 major malls, the I-75 expressway, and Woodward Avenue. Even at rush hour it's only 30 minutes to WSU. Downtown is cute with a few bars, and it has a huge parade and celebration for 4th of July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or