U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 AM

152 posts, read 420,687 times

Advertisements

Well, I have been in the area for about a week now and still have been unsuccessful in finding a rental home. I started out my search with Troy/Sterling Heights for the better school districts for the kids in areas that I could afford...rentals not higher than $1650. Since I have not found anything yet, I am considering expanding my area to Rochester Hills. I figure it will not be too far from TACOM in Warren. Any thoughts on Rochester Hills area with regards to schools and diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM

658 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Both Rochester and Avondale are considered good school districts. Avondale gets a bad rap because it has more lower income kids from areas in Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, whereas Rochester has a very small percentage of lower income households.

I went to Rochester Schools for elementary and Troy for high school. Granted this was in the 90's but Rochester used to be almost 99% white. I was one of maybe 6-7 kids that were considered minorities.

Troy was much more diverse with several different cultures and my parents felt it offered a much better curriculum than Rochester.

However; Rochester has changed greatly and from what I have heard has become more diverse. The schools are still highly regarded.

Either way, you really cannot go wrong with either Rochester or Avondale schools. It might be a good idea to visit the school to get a better understanding.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the info. We ended up renting a home in Troy and the kids get to go to Larson Middle School and then on to Athens HS.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 AM

85 posts, read 252,645 times
I am nervous about the shools in RH -- we have put an offer in a home in RH sub (a new sub) and our kids will go to Hugger, Hart and then Stoney Creek....but I think you're right, in Oakland County there are few poor decisions when it comes to schooling

Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM

979 posts, read 3,590,868 times
There are a lot of really good schools in Rochester Hills. I went to Brewster for elementary, Van Hoosen for middle, and Adams for High. Good schools, good area. RH just keeps building too.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:17 AM

31 posts, read 70,817 times
in rochester community school district, you are very unlikely to have problems with schools and education. i taught at meadow brook elem. in rochester hills and loved it. i would be happy to send my child to any school in that district.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the input. We found a rental home in Troy but are looking at buying a home in Rochester Hills.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 AM

85 posts, read 252,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
Thanks for the input. We found a rental home in Troy but are looking at buying a home in Rochester Hills.

LOVE LOVE LOVE RHills....I have been here for a month and so far hav emade friends, checked out a few trails (stoney creek park, paint creek trail and clinton river)....the kids love the schools (Hugger and Hart) and I have found many things to do with the pre-schooler...couldn't be happier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or