Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,907,818 times

Advertisements

If you were going out of town for a while, would you leave your A/C on low or would you just shut the furnace off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,783,604 times
How long is "a while"? I would probably leave the air on 78 or 80 if you're talking less than three weeks.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Well, I am not sure at this point, it may only be 3 weeks, could be a couple weeks more.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,783,604 times
Hmmm, are you going to have anyone come over to water plants or anything? I think I'd leave mine on and set at 80, if someone was kind of keeping an eye on things.

We're in the process of selling our TN house to move to MI so there are people in and out with showings here. I leave the a/c on 78.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM

I will have people coming to check on things and get the mail and such. Maybe I will leave it on 80. Thanks!

Normally, when I am here and it is on I have it at 74/75, so I guess that should be fine. Where are you moving to in MI? I am in the process of moving out! LOL! I am quite sure I will be back because of family, but for now, gotta go where the work is!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,314,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Hmmm, are you going to have anyone come over to water plants or anything? I think I'd leave mine on and set at 80, if someone was kind of keeping an eye on things.

We're in the process of selling our TN house to move to MI so there are people in and out with showings here. I leave the a/c on 78.

Might I suggest you get a lock for your AC theromostat controls?

those cleas plastic boxes that fit over the controls, you can buy them at Lowes for $10-$15, well worth the investment.

I've listed properties empty, and left the Ac set about 78 for showings. Real estate agents would lowet the Ac to "something comfortable" usually about 70--72, then walk away and forget it, along with every last light turned on. One property, the electric bill was 2x the amount than when a family of 4 was lving in it! Ad electric bills aren'et exactly cheap nowdays!

I've had it happen every single time when I've listed emptly propertys---agents go through room to room, flicking on lights, lower AC, then simply "forget" to leave things the way they found them. IMO, they have no business adjusting the AC to begin with, their excuse, oh, the client stays longer if the temp is comfortable, or they will think there's somethins wrong with the Ac if its not all nice and cool. Ok, but they simply can't think to trun it back.

I've saved a fortune (and made sales) with the theromostat locked, itsa worthwhile investment. With the lights, well, you can't do much there (real estate agents don't turn off lights, either), except install low-energy light bulbs, enlist the aid of a neighbor to come over and turn stuff off....

Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 PM

72 posts, read 149,848 times
Get a digital thermostat and set it for 80 during the day and 90 at night so it turns off. It will keep the humidity down.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,314,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Belle Grande View Post
Get a digital thermostat and set it for 80 during the day and 90 at night so it turns off. It will keep the humidity down.

Good point about the humidity. If you don't have some AC, your interior will quickly mildew. Carpet, wallpaper, furniture, etc, will become dank and mildew-y. I've been inside houses that had the Ac shut off for as little as 2 weeks and the carpet smelled like it would need replacing!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM

4,266 posts, read 5,896,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Belle Grande View Post
Good Point! Even if (when) someone turns the temp excessively low, a programmable thermostat will retake control at night and reset itself to your programmed settings. And will be seen as an energy savings feature by potential buyers. Less obstrusive than a locked plastic box over the thermostat (a box which can be broken open fairly easily).

We keep our house at 78 all summer long. When you step inside from 90+ degree heat, the 78 feels down right cold. Winter temp is 66-68 degrees. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, keeps her house at 78 in the winter and 70 in the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: