U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 06:58 AM

85 posts, read 270,529 times

Advertisements

hi i am an for american living near downtown detroit and i am looking to move downriver so i want to know from people who live there which city is the best and why

1.wyandotte
2. southgate
3. lincoln park
4. taylor

i list these becasue these are the cities i am thinking of moving to

also want honest opinions on schools, crime and areas to avoid

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM

328 posts, read 1,281,760 times
Default Spent 22 of my 25 years downriver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie07 View Post
hi i am an for american living near downtown detroit and i am looking to move downriver so i want to know from people who live there which city is the best and why

1.wyandotte
2. southgate
3. lincoln park
4. taylor

i list these becasue these are the cities i am thinking of moving to

also want honest opinions on schools, crime and areas to avoid

thanks in advance
I grew up in Taylor and spent my entire life in Downriver, except for college.

Is there a reason you are looking to move downriver? I realize it is more economical then Oakland County area, but is an EXTREMELY blue-collar, fairly conservative area. Diversity is not the area's strong suit (it is very "Pro-America, anti-Everything else" because of the huge amount of people that work for and/or are connected to GM, Ford, and Chrysler).

However, of the neighborhoods you have listed, here are my choices:

1) Wyandotte. Hands down, the best. Great downtown area (Biddle Avenue), close to the water, beautiful, historic houses (in some areas). However, a long distance to the highway, so if you are commuting anywhere but downtown detroit it will take you a minute.

2) Southgate. A very middle-class, blue-collar area, but decently nice with no real rough areas (that I have been to).

3) Taylor. Taylor has some middle-close and some real lower-middle class. There are great areas, and there are areas near "Sin City" that have seen better days. Gonna get a lot of heat for that, but I spent 22 years living in Taylor, and I admit that the "Taylor-Tucky" motto applies for a huge percentage of the city's occupants (although not each one).

4) Lincoln Park. South Lincoln Park is better, but Northern Lincoln Park (as you get closer to Melvindale and Detroit City Limits) gets sketchier and sketchier.

I am not saying "Don't live there whatsoever", but if you are looking for a working-class, median income under 40,000, blue-collar area to live in and enjoy chain restaurants, then you have found a great place.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM

225 posts, read 750,065 times
I vote for Wyandotte for fun, and Grosse Isle for residence.

Check out St. Mary's Church in Wyandotte. Very cool. I think they have a pretty good Strawberry Festival there...

Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM

85 posts, read 270,529 times
Default thanks for the info

thanks alwaystravelin

i like southgate the best but most of the homes are to pricey for me

what areas are sin city in taylor? and i have heard to avoid the northern part of lincoln park i have loooked into wyandotte but alot of homes have no basements or are not for me

i like downriver becasue i want a working class area near my job and traveling up 75 is too much so why not go down

though i hear downriver is not very diverse at all it seems no worse than any other area of metro detroit

so which city is more diverse or least thanks for all ur help

Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 AM

57 posts, read 126,186 times
1) Trenton ---- Best Parks and Rec department without question, no school of choice so the schools are not inundated with kids from other cities, great pride in the city, very well kept homes.

2) Allen Park --- Very good location, great parks, well manicured lawns, good schools.

3) Wyandotte --- Very quaint, eclectic. Least convenient location wise, tons of reasonably priced rentals.

FWIW, the other lists having Taylor and Southgate above these cities are completely off base, these cities are much more stable, nicer, with better schools and more civic activities.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
On your list, Wyandotte wins, but Trenton is a close second. Trenton has better schools. Trenton may have lower crime. The upriver side of Wyandotte can be a little rough in places. Wyandotte has the best downtown in the downriver area and one of the best in the metro Detroit area.

Parts of Lincoln Park are pretty neat, parts are pretty awful. Schools are fair to middling.

Taylor is basically urban sprawl but it has a lot of decent shopping, a great sportsplex (hockey), and a really neat park (Heritage park). We came close to buying a house that adjoins Heritage Park. However heavy traffic on Northline road and mediocre to terrible schools chased us away. Taylor is decent middle class suburban living. Nothing exciting, nothing terrible.

You left out Grosse Ile. Depending on what you are looking for, Grosse Ile is generally the top of the list for Downriver. For us, it was/is top of the list for all of S.E. Michigan. Great schools, quiet, virtually no crime (except for a recent horrid incident where a guy caught breaking into cars was cornered on the free bridge and jumped to his death. I think he was from Wyandotte, but the break ins were on the island). Grosse Ile is semi-rural and park like. It is a small tight knit and active community. The tiny business district is quaint and has all of the basic needs. Houses range from about $150,000 to $40,000,000. With lots of everything in between. There might be some small condos available under $100,000 I am not sure.

There are some great deals in all price ranges in all of downriver. A waterfront house that we saw for sale three years ago for $1 million, just sold. The new asking price was $625,000. I do not know what the sale price was, but undoubtedly below $625,000. That is out of most people's price range, but the less expensive homes have fallen nearly the same percentages.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,928 times
well, out of those 4, i would pick wyandotte, but there is a city that has everything your looking for... Woodhaven and Trenton are really nice! both have really low crime rates, great schools, and fairly family-oriented feell (especially Woodhaven) Trenton has a great recreation department, but Woodhaven is a lot more farmland and spread out, good for families. Also, in Woodhaven, we are sort of split up into subdivisions, not actual neighborhoods... most of us is new construction, so there's not really any worry that you'll be stuck ina deceprid 1800's house/ also, were both very close to I-75!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,025,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.noodle.pie View Post
well, out of those 4, i would pick wyandotte, but there is a city that has everything your looking for... Woodhaven and Trenton are really nice! both have really low crime rates, great schools, and fairly family-oriented feell (especially Woodhaven) Trenton has a great recreation department, but Woodhaven is a lot more farmland and spread out, good for families. Also, in Woodhaven, we are sort of split up into subdivisions, not actual neighborhoods... most of us is new construction, so there's not really any worry that you'll be stuck ina deceprid 1800's house/ also, were both very close to I-75!
Wyandotte's got a great downtown, and the housing close to and along the river is great, but go inland, what a dump. The city is a cross between Royal Oak (but less hip and trendy) and Hazel Park. I'd pick Southgate for lower to middle downriver housing, though Riverview has nice subdivisions, too, further inland. If the OP was asking about Taylor and Lincoln Park, she probably can't afford Grosse Ile Township.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Whatever she chose, she has probably been living there for three years. I wonder what she thinks of it

Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,025,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Whatever she chose, she has probably been living there for three years. I wonder what she thinks of it
I know, but it's kinda fun when new members dig up old threads. Another one brought back from the dead from a couple of years ago along with this one had a poster making a big deal about how great an investment Grosse Pointe real estate was. Prices were down, it seemed like a good deal then, but two or three years' time has elapsed from that point and they may have just recently hit the price floor.

PS She probably didn't take any advice and ended up in someplace like Ecorse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit