U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,270 times

Advertisements

I will tell you that the demographics that are stated on this site are grossly incorrect. This site states that the racial breakdown includes 96% White and less than 1% Black, this is not at all correct. If this type of information is of concern to you, may I suggest consulting a more reputable site, as the actual breakdown is more like 50/50. Also, this city is sliding downhill quickly as even the northern end of town is in shambles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
assuming poster means PCB's and I haven't heard anything about that. Don't know where you can check for cancer stats, personally, growing up there (do not live there now), never had a particularly odd cancer cluster that I was ever aware of. Maybe check National Institutes of Health, or CDC or American Cancer Assoc., for info?
Yes, it is in the water in St. Clair Shores and surrounding area. They are working on the 10 Mile drain, but it has not cleaned up the water tests yet.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,026,065 times
It's not 50/50 yet. Nowhere near. Some streets such as Parkside, Ridgemont, and Salisbury down towards Eastland Mall, possible. Some South Lake school buildings, maybe. Robeson at Masonic and Harper, sure. The city as a whole, not even close. The Census data on this site are outdated, but 50/50 is more like Harper Woods or large swaths of Eastpointe.

The cancer stats will be impossible to find, most likely. I looked this kind of stuff up a while back as I've heard of a cancer cluster in north Warren near Red Run, but couldn't find anything.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 PM

937 posts, read 2,620,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
It's not 50/50 yet. Nowhere near. Some streets such as Parkside, Ridgemont, and Salisbury down towards Eastland Mall, possible. Some South Lake school buildings, maybe. Robeson at Masonic and Harper, sure. The city as a whole, not even close. The Census data on this site are outdated, but 50/50 is more like Harper Woods or large swaths of Eastpointe.

The cancer stats will be impossible to find, most likely. I looked this kind of stuff up a while back as I've heard of a cancer cluster in north Warren near Red Run, but couldn't find anything.
This. Sorry, SCS is NOT 50/50 by any means. Id say its still largely 93-95% white. Robeson in the 48082 and then the 48080 area code is where the blacks are concentrated.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM

183 posts, read 427,566 times
I totally agree with us66 and Burtsbees, SCS is not 50/50. Also the city is not "sliding downhill quickly", IMO.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:19 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,547,980 times
LMAO 50/50. Hell, I don't even think Harper Woods is there yet.

Also, this site uses the US Census Bureau. Any other site would not be as reputable. The 2010 census is not in yet.

Oh yea, did I mention you're wrong?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,146,787 times
SCS seems like a strange location for a person moving from out of state to settle on.

As other posters have said, Royal Oak has superior night life and is more suitable for a young person than SCS. However, Royal Oak tends to be overpriced and the "yuppie" will ooze all over your shoes.

Personally, I would look into living in Detroit City depending on where you're working. Detroit borders Grosse Pointe and has a lot of new, upscale lofts on the cheap in trendy neighborhoods. Check out some of the options here:

http://www.downtowndetroit.org/ddp/housing-lease.htm (broken link)

http://www.theloftwarehouse.com/index.php?pclass[]=2&action=searchresults

Midtown Development Group - Detroit Lofts, Condos and Commercial Development

Specifically, Midtown has a lot vibrant enclaves with young people and hip bars and restaurants. I live downtown now but I am looking to move to Midtown when my lease is up.

Last edited by ForStarters; 07-11-2010 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 AM

SCS isn't that crazy of an idea for relocation. It's fairly cheap and pretty peaceful, close to all but the most upscale shopping and to the interstate system as well. It's not free of crime, but what is anymore? It's not as hip and fun as some, but for being so close in it's still a pretty tasteful place.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM

333 posts, read 1,018,988 times
SCS > RO any day. Downtown is probably RO's biggest, if not only, attraction; and it's only about 20 minutes down 696 from SCS. It's bigger, wealthier, and faring the recession much better. SCS is pretty much the place that people go to pay $200,000 for a house and say they live in the Pointes.

Just don't move too close to Roachville or Eastpointe.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
SCS > RO any day. Downtown is probably RO's biggest, if not only, attraction; and it's only about 20 minutes down 696 from SCS. It's bigger, wealthier, and faring the recession much better. SCS is pretty much the place that people go to pay $200,000 for a house and say they live in the Pointes.

Just don't move too close to Roachville or Eastpointe.
$200K buys quite a nice house in the real Pointes nowadays. The taxes scare a lot of people off, but you get a lot for your money. No need to buy in SCS if you don't want to. $200K gets you into nearly all but the best waterfront properties in SCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or