Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

DMC, Wayne State, Henry Ford offer employees up to $25K to live in Midtown | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20110114/BIZ/101140398/DMC--Wayne-State--Henry-Ford-offer-employees-up-to-$25K-to-live-in-Midtown#ixzz1B1tEMpML - broken link)

Quote:
...matching funds came from...the Michigan State Housing Development Authority...

I realize it may be the only way to force people to move there, but should a state with a $1.8 Billion deficit be wasting money encouraging people to play "musical houses"?

Last edited by Retroit; 01-14-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
"MSHDA's loans and operating expenses are financed through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds and notes to private investors, not from state tax revenues." MSHDA - About Michigan State Housing Authority (MSHDA)

I think the total amount matched by the MSHDA for this entire project is around 200k, hardly a bribe.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
"MSHDA's loans and operating expenses are financed through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds and notes to private investors, not from state tax revenues." MSHDA - About Michigan State Housing Authority (MSHDA)

I think the total amount matched by the MSHDA for this entire project is around 200k, hardly a bribe.
And how do you think those bonds are paid off?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,743 times
So Michigan taxpayers will be paying for these institutions to bribe their workers to live in Midtown.

I thought the state was broke? Apparently it still has money to waste on Detroit subsidies? Keep in mind this does NOTHING to the region. It doesn't attract additional folks or do anything to the economy. It just bribes people to live in one city instead of another city.

Nice "change", Snyder. So far, you sound like Granholm Part 2.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
And how do you think those bonds are paid off?
Hopefully, ROI from increased tax revenues, but who knows. Honestly, I am with you in thinking that it is inappropriate for MSHDA to be contributing funding to this project, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to other problems. I'm sure the 1 million dollar incentive offered by the three employers was sufficient without MSHDA chipping in an extra 200k, but if there were a list of things to gripe about, this one would be like a thousand down from the top. If it ends up convincing a few extra people who were already on the fence about living in Midtown to live in Midtown, so be it. It's not the worst thing in the world.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Nice "change", Snyder. So far, you sound like Granholm Part 2.
Dude, you need to chill out. The man has been in office for less than 14 days.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 AM

655 posts, read 2,202,868 times
This doesn't "force" people to live in Midtown.

The state's contribution is a drop in the bucket compared to the institutions.

The actual amount given per person is pretty small in my opinion. People who have been drinking the kool-aid about Midtown being the wild wild west aren't going to move for that pocket change.

People sitting outside (and inside) the city don't realize or don't care that more people living in the city helps the entire region. They'll criticize just about anything regarding Detroit. It's like an involuntary reflex.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
... it is a drop in the bucket compared to other problems...if there were a list of things to gripe about, this one would be like a thousand down from the top...
And that's the problem. We have thousands of examples of waste in our state government and they all add up. No one wants cuts in their pet projects, and as a result we accumulate a large deficit.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
They'll criticize just about anything regarding Detroit. It's like an involuntary reflex.
So you would have no problem with the government using your tax dollars to encouraging people to move to the suburbs?

The state should encourage people to move to the state, not move from one Michigan city to another. That does nothing to help the state economy.

If Detroit wants to waste their taxpayers dollars to force people to live there, I have no problem with it. (Although I would have a problem if my city was doing the same with my tax dollars.)

I use the term "force" because when you have to give people a bribe/subsidy to do something that they otherwise wouldn't, that's a use of force. Force = mass * acceleration (Newton's 2nd Law of Motion)

Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Let them give me a job and I will move there for FREE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit