U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 11,324 times

Advertisements

Hi dudes,

I got an admission from Wayne State University, for pursuing my PhD studies. So, I'm moving to Detroit with my wife in about January 2009.
Due to my stipend, I can pay about 500~700$ per month. I'm looking for a safe place for living.
I must mention that I have never been in Us!!
I would be so grateful to hear your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 PM

225 posts, read 750,627 times
What country are you coming from?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
What country are you coming from?
I come from Middle East!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:57 AM

225 posts, read 750,627 times
I'd suggest the west side. You can easily get a house or apt. in your price range in Dearborn. Not sure if you'd mind living amid a very large Arab Middle Eastern influence or not, but it's there with the restaurants, bakeries, etc. It's a decidely Muslim area as far as the Arab residents though there are some Christian Arabs there. Not a bunch though. East Dearborn is mostly Arab, West Dearborn is mostly Eurpean-American. I'd stick with the area west of the Southfield freeway. It's more desirable in my opinion no matter what your ethnic background or preferences are. If you're Israeli/Jewish, you probably won't find many compatriots in Dearborn. Whether that's a problem for you or not, I don't know.

If you don't want the Middle Eastern influence so much, you could try Allen Park or Livonia. Both are convenient to Wayne State with Allen Park being a little more convenient. North Westland is OK, but there are so many apartments, I don't really care for it.

Last edited by Nearborn; 07-06-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 PM

695 posts, read 3,161,909 times
Hamtramck also has a strong middle-eastern area and is closer to Wayne State. There are also lots of safe neighborhoods around Wayne State.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM

866 posts, read 3,879,683 times
Dearborn sounds like it would be perfect for you, if you like to be around other middle eastern people. Dearborn is a nice west suburb of Detroit, and has a pretty good commute to Wayne State. My other suggestion would be Hamtramck, closer to Wayne State, also a high Middle Eastern population, and is a city with many rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or