Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 86,448 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've accepted a job with GM. I will be working at the RenCen in Detroit. Now comes the fun part, finding a place to live. I (25 y.o.) am moving here with my girlfriend and her 5 year old. I don't want to spend more than 1500ish per month for rent.

Here is a quick run down of what I am looking for (in not particular order):

-Semi-decent commute to Detroit (an hour would be pushing it)
-Very good schools
-Ice hockey rink in the area (little one plays, as do I)
-SAFE community!!
-Pet friendly parks
-Outdoor activities in the area (some (mountain??) bike trails, etc..)

Any suggestions? I start on Aug 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
Westland, Garden City, Livonia, Allen Park, southern Lincoln Park, Riverview, Trenton, Southgate, parts of Redford, Ferndale would all be affordable nice options.

More ritzy options would be Troy, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, the Grosse Pointes.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Westland, Garden City, Livonia, Allen Park, southern Lincoln Park, Riverview, Trenton, Southgate, parts of Redford, Ferndale would all be affordable nice options.

More ritzy options would be Troy, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, the Grosse Pointes.
Are you nuts? The guy said he wanted very good schools. That requirement alone would eliminate Westland, Garden City, Allen Park, and any other downriver community IMO.

If I had to work downtown I'd choose one of the following:

Royal Oak/Huntington Woods
Franklin/Beverly Hills
Troy
Novi
Northville
Farmington
Livonia
Plymouth
Canton

Old 06-17-2008, 03:03 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Royal Oak would be good for your price range and the things you are looking for. They do have a hockey arena, the commute is not bad, great family neighborhoods, trendy downtown area, schools are good, lots of parks, some dog parks.

Wouldn't really go Ferndale due to schools. Elementary are decent but beyond that-not so much.

Livonia, Plymouth and Canton are all good too.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the tips. I've been looking at apartments and they all look kinda run down and "old". Any suggestions on where to look for townhomes or apartments in my price range?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Are you nuts? The guy said he wanted very good schools. That requirement alone would eliminate Westland, Garden City, Allen Park, and any other downriver community IMO.
And what personal knowlegde have you of Downriver schools or communitites? I have worked at all levels in two different districts and my children attend a third. If they are so terrible how is it that so many Michigan Teachers of the Year and Principals of the Year have been awarded to Southgate and surrounding communities?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthemike View Post
Thanks for the tips. I've been looking at apartments and they all look kinda run down and "old". Any suggestions on where to look for townhomes or apartments in my price range?
$1500. should get you a darn nice place. That can get you a nice house! My daughter just rented a loft in Royal Oak for $700. a month and it was decent. Not what you would be looking for, but my point is that given that price range you should be able to do well. Have you looked at realtor.com in the rental section? Just pop in the city you are searching in and the price range and you should come up with some nice ones.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
$1500. should get you a darn nice place. That can get you a nice house! My daughter just rented a loft in Royal Oak for $700. a month and it was decent. Not what you would be looking for, but my point is that given that price range you should be able to do well. Have you looked at realtor.com in the rental section? Just pop in the city you are searching in and the price range and you should come up with some nice ones.
Thanks i'll give it a try.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 AM

123 posts, read 487,876 times
I am not as familiar with Royal oak but what about Birmingham? They have very good schools and is close to a lot of things. Have you checked craigslist for a possible home rental? I know of some nice apts in Farmington Hills or West Bloomfield. Some with vaulted ceilings and garages for I think 900. I would get an apartment guide too and or even drive around. You would be suprised at some rental homes how reasonable they are in good areas.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM

It's tough because I am doing all this from Florida. But thanks everyone for the input, i've found some good places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit