U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,804,742 times

Advertisements

I have been attending Holy Cross Hungarian Church periodically for about 20 years. 20 years ago Delray was still kicking. There were still a few little Mom and Pop stores where we would go for saffron and other Hungarian delicacies. There were some neighborhood bars that served really good food, and there was an interest in preserving and documenting the history of the area, which was originally Irish. The building of I-75 cut Delray off from surrounding neighborhoods. The isolation made it more difficult to sustain itself economically. In my opinion, the final death knell was the closing of the Fisher Body plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,890,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
In my opinion, the final death knell was the closing of the Fisher Body plant.
Was that the Fisher Body plant on Fort St. and Central that had the conveyor-type corridor above Fort just before Central going north?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,804,742 times
Yep.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM

10 posts, read 39,657 times
Southwest Detroit is what it is, as far as crime goes the gang population doesnt seem to die down, i was just down that way a few weeks ago stopped at my buddys house, wasnt there 10 minutes and his car got stolen out in front of his house. on the corner there was over 50 cash flow family gang members and a few fights broke out. But thats how it is everywhere in any major city i suppose. But overall i would say that southwest has been improving and the neighborhoods have been looking alot better than they have in the past... if they could get the Cash Flows, Latin Counts, Seranos, MS 13s, Street Boys, and all the rest to leave, Then it would Be an EXCELLENT place to live....but i dont think thats gonna happen anytime soon....

Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,607 times
Southwest Detroit is some of the worst detroit has to offer gangs are just a part of it. They got abandoned houses/apt/stores, litter, homeless, crime, graffiti, poverty, unemployment, and to top it off some off the worst gang problems around. I live here so I can say this but I gotta list some positives like retail on vernor, diversity, some ok hoods like mexicantown its still mostly dangerous and run down and getting worse.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM

214 posts, read 997,663 times
Wilkes3 thats a good description how it is in most of the sw side.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,916 times
Most of SW Detroit is NOT declining, there has probably been more progress in the past 5 years here, than anywhere else in the city, maybe with the exception of Downtown which is looking fantastic nowadays! Most of it is owed to the hispanics, illegal or not (that is not something I'm even trying to touch on), they are investing in housing and businesses, showing pride of ownership. And...Michigan Ave, West of Livernois is begining to look like Vernor, there are so many new restaurants, clothing stores, gift shops and bakeries. However they are all not just independently owned, even major chains have brought business back down, from cell phone companies to major pharmacies. I have lived in this neighborhood my entire life and I just turned 30, I have not seen it looking as good as it has been lately since I was a child. Now, I'm not trying to sugar coat it Detroit neighborhoods are not a pretty site however there are always a few blocks here and there that are very well kept, even a few houses in a row is a plus! Gangs and prostitution are a problem, so are school age children, the future starts with them. But I have to say that I am happy with the neighborhood and I really think things are looking up for it.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,441 times
Thumbs down Southwest Detroit

I moved out of Southwest 17 yrs ago when i was 15. Me and my brother were getting too invloved with the gang scene, he was shot a year later in the neighborhood at age 16 he was stuck in a wheelchair from now on. A few years later I thought the neighborhood was getting a little better, there was more spanish people and the housing market went up.About a year ago I saw that things were going back down hill, my brother got back into the gang scene there really bad...(now at age 32 and in a wheelchair) Well Oct.23, 2008 he was violently killed by the opposing gang ...he was shot 6 times in the chest at close range. This gang **** and that neighborhood makes me sick!!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM

214 posts, read 997,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthompson76 View Post
I moved out of Southwest 17 yrs ago when i was 15. Me and my brother were getting too invloved with the gang scene, he was shot a year later in the neighborhood at age 16 he was stuck in a wheelchair from now on. A few years later I thought the neighborhood was getting a little better, there was more spanish people and the housing market went up.About a year ago I saw that things were going back down hill, my brother got back into the gang scene there really bad...(now at age 32 and in a wheelchair) Well Oct.23, 2008 he was violently killed by the opposing gang ...he was shot 6 times in the chest at close range. This gang **** and that neighborhood makes me sick!!!!!
jthompson76 sorry about your brother. may god bless you and your family.

I found a letter from some community group in SW Detroit talking about the investments they had over the past decade and how it was the only section of the city to grow. Then the past 3 yrs have been hard with more unemployment, less job creation, prisoners coming back and not finding work(48209 the 3rd highest zip code in detroit receiving released prisoners) , Teens turning to gang life because they can`t find work. She said that 10 youth have been killed in the last month from gang violence there.

Alot of neighorhoods in the city that were ok are now getting worse like Warrendale, university district, boston edison, SW detroit, etc.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM

21 posts, read 61,575 times
Angry Declined Tremindously

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
Thanks for answersing guys I was born in 87 and left in 2000 and was curious about it. Mexicantown seemed pretty good but most of SW wasnt. Like i said with the economy, school closings,foreclosures, etc maybe its starting to decline. Michigan ave wasnt that great even before, and springwells has alot of gang problems and crime, delray sounds gone ,warren livernois i dont know how thats doing. Can someobdy tell me if the areas ive listed have improved or declined since 2000. Thank you
I grew up in "near Southwest" which is how it was referred to at the time. Now I guess it is a part of southwest because they have changed the district lines of the schools. I went to Chadsey now people who live in my area are required to go to Southwestern due to the boundary law crap. But I grew up in the 80's when Southwest was a nice place to actually walk around. My street Lumley, which is right before Springwells, was recently said to be the highest drug trafficking street in Detroit; even Michigan. This came from people who reside in New York, Chicago and Indiana of all places. I didn't even realize that then and was in shock when I heard it. All I see in Southwest now are abandoned and burned down houses, schools closing like Holy Redeemer which is a Southwest landmark, gang violence, robberies and businesses declining. My mother still owns our family home on Lumley, but moved out a few years ago to the Rosedale Park subdivsion in Northwest Detroit. On our end of the street there are many empty houses; some for years. Also Central, Lonyo, Warren and Livernois look like crap and continue to decline. Delray has gotten so bad people are afraid to drive through there; especially in with certain nicer cars. Southwest Detroit is a very depressing and neglected area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or