U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM

999 posts, read 4,195,195 times

Advertisements

Lumley was the highest drug street in the state? I'm gonna have to call BS on that one and ask to see the data.....I'm in that area quite often and think there are far worse areas than that....Like along Linwood, or Dexter, or Fenkel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 61,539 times
No Lumley has the most drug trafficking especially interstate and that's real talk. This has been for years. I lived there and didn't realized how bad it was because I grew up with almost all the dope boys. Many have moved but they still come back to do their bizz. They also had an illegal strip club on the street in a big apartment building. Don't know if they are still doing it because it got raided a few times but the building is still standing.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,045 times
I was born and raised in soutwest Detroit and i can honestly say that yes there are many new business'es opening up primarily from mexican immigrants which is a positive but crime is widespread all over just not in delray but all over southwest Detroit. I have been here 42 years and i am literally fleeing this city for the sake of my children. I hear shooting every single night and fire sirens. I would like to be optimistic for the future for this side of town but even the police are exasperated at what is going on.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,212 times
I moved to Vernor near springwells and I love it!
I heard how terrible a place it was when I was a kid growing up on 7 mile near Evergreen, so where I came from I would've been right at home! Lolz!
That was many years ago. I'm a mother of 5, two are teenaged boys attending the all boys Jesuit of Loyola Catholic school on Fenkell and Pinehurst because I didn't want to see them dealing with gangs and other criminal type activity.

This company called Southwest Housing Solutions is buying up the area and totally gutting out the old and refacing the brick on the outside. They're combining businesses with families. I live above the Campell branch library and thats pretty cool! Southwest has tons of stuff for the kids to do at the library and in the basements of their facilities. They have potlucks, fundraisers to take the kids on outings, events to acquaint residents of other buildings, fun things to do at Clark Park which is no longer "addict city". There are trash cans EVERYWHERE! The residents sweep the streets daily. Some are paid and some are volunteer. Merchants along Vernor participate on Halloween very heavily to keep kids from going into some still seedy neighborhoods and to keep them off of unlit streets.

A recently vacant house near me was torn down after I had only been there 2 months! That is unheard of in this city. People here are banding together. I saw alot of community organizations and block clubs meeting this summer as walked my new neighborhood. Construction is going on down by the old train station so there is hope. A international welcome center was just built over where the construction is with many restaurants and other vendors slated to occupy the building such as DDOT. DTE Energy is already there and the place looks great! My kids also have the Patton Rec to walk to about two blocks away and Clark Rec is a short bus ride, there is also LASED community center as well. Southwest isnt far from Downtown which has seen a MAJOR facelift and has always been a hotspot for grown-up fun no matter the economy. Some may not like that Southwest Housing Solutions does random inspections with 1 week notice about twice a year. I love it though. Too many times I've seen a property revamped only to turn and find it rundown all over again.

Sorry about all the chatter.... It's late, can't sleep, found this site, and was elated to see someone asking about my little "heaven"!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,045 times
Default Are you kidding

Heaven if southwest detroit is heaven i'm curious as to what hell looks like.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,827 times
I lived in Southwest Detroit from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. About five years ago I looked at homes in the Woodmere Cemetery, Clark Park and Vernor/Springwells area. I found many homes listed in range of $60,000 to $90,000 that would have sold for $20,000 to $30,000 when I lived there. I thought this was very encouraging. Also the commercial strips, especial Vernor/Clark looked very vibrant at that time. I wonder what kind of effect that the "housing market collapse" might be having on these neighborhood?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,799,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I remember the "days of Delray" when there were thriving Hungarian-American bakeries. It is sad to see Delray once Detroit's "Little Hungary" die into nothing.
Dexterguy, don't know why I didn't see this months ago, but, you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20. Anyway, Those thriving Hungarian-American bakeries are still around; you just have to know where to find them.

The Oakwood Bakery is still in Detroit, not the greatest neighborhood, but we go down occassionally early in the morning for hot bread fresh out of the oven. Address is 585 S. Waring Street.

Oakwood Baking Co - Detroit, MI (http://www.insiderpages.com/businesses/3716332234/map - broken link)

The Delray Bakery is on Allen Road in Taylor, just north of the interesction with Eureka. My family likes 'rustic' cooking so the bread crumbs from here are all I use on top of casseroles.

They also have kolacs, pastries etc. for sale.

New Delray Baking Co in Taylor, MI - YellowBot

The Hungarian Strudel Shop is in Allen Park, just off Southfield. Their studel is to die for. For Christmas, I usually order 4 1/2 unbaked strudels: apple, cherry, pineapple cheese, and apricot. I bake them at home when ready to serve. They also carry kolacs and other pastries. If you are ordering for the holidays, just be sure to get your order in early.

Hungarian Strudel Shop - Allen Park, MI

There were originally three Hungarian churches in Delray. Holy Cross, the Roman Church, is still there. The interior is beautiful. If you have a chance to attend a service, you should go. The Reformed Church moved Downriver; obviously some of the bakeries followed suit. The Orthodox Church moved to Livonia, I think. I am not familiar with the area, but I bet if you looked you might a bakery or two out that way.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,405 times
lived on McDonald for 56 years and that has to be the worst street in the southwest district, known all of the criminals all my life, was never bothered by anyone,and to say there is life in the soutwest section of detroit, someone is either blind or really stupid.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM

282 posts, read 1,083,040 times
Default You seem

to have a knowledge of the/ several areas. WTH else do you want to know?
Why do you even wish to come here? I can't tell you who your neighbors are going to be. Detoilet is a rat hole. You're moving I take it. Move out of the country.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 PM

194 posts, read 420,287 times
I know this post is kinda old, but i wanted to throw in my 2 pennies worth anyhow! I used to run with a bad crowd back in the late 80's and early 90's, and i spent much time in and around SW. The gang stuff was getting outta control back then and it seemed like the whole neighborhood was going to be just like the rest of the city in no time. About 4 to 5 years ago, I ended up going back to the area to chill with some buddies of mine after work, and i was pleasantly surprised. There were so many houses that used to be boarded up, that were occupied with new paint and siding. All the storefronts on Vernor were flourishing, even Michigan Avenue looked refreshed (in spite of all the hookers). From about 93 to 2005, I never ventured past Mexicantown (a favorite date spot for me), and I couldn't believe how the whole core of southwest had that same progressive vibe that used to only be around mexicantown proper. Unfortunately, my buddies I was chillin with told me that the gang problem was resurging again, but the neighborhood sure looked better asthetically than it did back in 88-92. I'm out of state now, and I hope that the economy hasn't started a reverse trend in the area, because it was truly impressive to see how southwest Detroit has re-invented itself. As far as the gang thing goes, the city needs to put more police in places other than just downtown, or else no neighborhood in the city will be able to make a comeback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or