U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 AM

85 posts, read 252,807 times

Advertisements

We are so excited to call RH home in a months time and are planning our 5th trip this weekend.....I was wondering what the different choices are for grocery shopping....here in Toronto I may hit up a Price Chopper/No Frills for boxed items (cheaper) but then a Dominion or Loblaws for fruits, veggies or meats....I don't recognize any of the store chains

Any help would be appreciated, not having food in the house with a teenaged son and two little ones is NOT good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 AM

695 posts, read 3,161,218 times
Grocery stores in SE MI have been reduced basically to one: Kroger. Farmer Jack went out of business this time last year, and since then Kroger has basically had the lion's share of the grocery market. There are a few other more exclusive stores: Busch's (a Spartan Store), Hiller's, Nino Salvaggio, Westborn, and of course you can always buy groceries at Wal-Mart or Meijer (local big box store chain). Nino Salvaggio and Westborn are more fruit/meat/prepared food oriented. Joe Randazzo is a local fruit market (noted sometimes for their lower quality). Joe's Produce is another local one, and there are a few Trader Joe's, which is a national chain.

Discount groceries are going to be found at a Save-A-Lot or an Aldi store.

The big box stores are Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and Meijer. Meijer is a Grand Rapids based retailer that actually pioneered the all in one idea before Wal-Mart ever got into it. Target is nice, though relatively small. Their stores tend to be the nicest in my opinion. Wal-Mart is of course a huge conglomerate with stores all over (though they are just now really getting into the Detroit market). K-Mart is a little past it's prime. Can't really compete well with the others.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,821,138 times
I'll second Westborn Market as a good place for fruits, vegetables, meats, and deli items. Westborn doesn't really carry canned goods and mass-packaged foods, their selection for these items is limited to half an aisle. Problem for the original poster is that there's no Westborn market close to Rochester Hills.

Hollywood Market is also recommended, and carries every thing you'll want from a grocery store; however, there are only four stores - Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield Hills, and Shelby Township.

There is a Papa Joe's market on Rochester Road north of downtown Rochester. I've never been to a Papa Joe's, but I've been told that it's like a Westborn Market only more so.

There's also a working farm a few miles north of downtown Rochester, located on the east side of Rochester Road proper. They open a large fruit and vegetable stand in the summer months. Stop by for food that's been picked only hours before, beats any grocery store hands down.

Last edited by djmilf; 07-09-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Added the farmer's stand north of Rochester Hills.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM

695 posts, read 3,161,218 times
Nino's is a lot like Westborn is it not?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM

85 posts, read 252,807 times
thanks so much guys and gals! I will note these down and check them out while I am there for final paperwork etc.... it's tough to know where to go - when I first moved out I ended up shopping at the closest, but so much more expensive store! I have no issue going a little further for more choice, I just hate spending 25% more for a weekly trip just because....

We have a Walmart SS here too with groceries etc. that I don't mind if I need to so at least that is familiar and I can't WAIT to hit the trader joes....I am a fitness buff and we don't have them up here....so I plan on spending some hours going through the selection

Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,614,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Nino's is a lot like Westborn is it not?

I love Ninos. Yes it is like Westborn.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM

81 posts, read 231,760 times
I don't know why someone said there is only Kroger. Kroger and Meijer always seemed comparable price-wise to me and there's a nice big Meijer right on Rochester road. The big difference is that with Meijer you have a better chance of your produce actually being edible. Meijer can also save gas usually because of the one-stop shopping nature of it.

I lived in Lake Orion and we were very jealous of Rochester Hills' grocery offerings. You have Meijer for normal stuff, Papa Joes, Nina Salvaggio, Whole Foods for upscale stuff, all within a few miles of each other, and Trader Joes for slightly cheaper upscale and unusual stuff. Don't forget about the cheap wine at Trader Joe. $3-4 a bottle for a wine that competes and wins against much more expensive vinyards.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM

282 posts, read 747,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I'll second Westborn Market as a good place for fruits, vegetables, meats, and deli items. Westborn doesn't really carry canned goods and mass-packaged foods, their selection for these items is limited to half an aisle. Problem for the original poster is that there's no Westborn market close to Rochester Hills.

Hollywood Market is also recommended, and carries every thing you'll want from a grocery store; however, there are only four stores - Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield Hills, and Shelby Township.

There is a Papa Joe's market on Rochester Road north of downtown Rochester. I've never been to a Papa Joe's, but I've been told that it's like a Westborn Market only more so.

There's also a working farm a few miles north of downtown Rochester, located on the east side of Rochester Road proper. They open a large fruit and vegetable stand in the summer months. Stop by for food that's been picked only hours before, beats any grocery store hands down.
There is a Hollywood Market at Rochester Rd. and Tienken.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 4,168,737 times
You will like living in Rochester Hills! congrats and don't worry about the food so much there are lots of choices!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 AM

9 posts, read 21,539 times
There is also a Costco in Auburn Hills. If you've never been to Costco - definitely you must check it out. I couldn't get by without Costco. When we lived in that area we split our shopping between Meijer, Costco, and Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or