U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,778,040 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Redford almost two weeks ago and of course I am on the lookout for good stores. According to google maps I am within 12 miles of several shopping areas; I've visited the Fairlane Center in Dearborn, very nice and the Westland Center, pretty good has a Kohl's and is right across the street from Best Buy, and not too far from Ikea which I like.
I have yet to visit Laurel Park Place, Twelve Oaks, Somerset Collections, how are these places? Or any other places you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,821,764 times
Oakland Mall in Troy, Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi, Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights are all like Fairlane, but larger and (too me) less confusing to navigate inside the malls. You'll find the same sorts of stores in Fairlane, Oakland, Twelve Oaks, and Lakeside.

The Somerset Collection in Troy might be called a step up from these other malls. There are stores at Somerset that you won't find any place else in Metro Detroit. Nieman-Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Crate and Barrel, Williams-Sonoma, Tiffany & Co., etc. If you go, the south section of the Collection (south of Big Beaver Road) is the older section and has the more upscale (read spendy) shops, the north section (north of Big Beaver) has more mainstream and reasonably priced shops.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM

695 posts, read 3,161,327 times
I live in the Garden City/Dearborn area and visit the Westland shopping center and all the stores around it the most. Fairlane is a little scary for my taste, and the mall is hugely confusing.

Don't worry about visiting the Livonia Mall. It's classified as a "dead" mall.

Laurel Park is smaller, but has some more upscale stores: Parisian and Von Maur are the anchors.

Somerset is very upscale, and very big. It is really quite a place to see.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,778,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Don't worry about visiting the Livonia Mall. It's classified as a "dead" mall.
Yeah I've seen it; it's basically just Sears.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 PM

27,767 posts, read 65,663,240 times
Southland mall might be close to you (it is in/near Taylor/Southgate). It is a basic mall. Not exciting, but it has a large number of shops and is reaonably clean and nice. It does not compare to Fairlane, Somerset, or 12 Oaks, but it is better than Livonia Mall or Westland mall. the nice thing is that it is not too big. So ono-shopper types (like me) can get in and out reasonably quickly.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM

695 posts, read 3,161,327 times
I think Westland looks a lot nicer than Southland.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM

734 posts, read 2,400,328 times
Off topic, but I remember when I was younger and was at Somerset. I walked into a store, saw a pair of men's briefs on a rack that went for $90, and immediately turned and walked out. lol

Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 PM

27,767 posts, read 65,663,240 times
You went to the wrong store. Stay out of Needless Markup and you will find a lot of "normal" stores at Somerset. It really is a great mall, and I hate malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or