Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 AM

16 posts, read 47,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I'm a minority myself, and I felt a lot more uncomfortable walking around Amsterdam than I do in the predominantly white (or black) parts of the Detroit area.

I lived for 7 years in Europe. Even though folks in America whine a lot more about race relations and race tensions, it's still ten times better to be any kind of minority here than it is there.
I was born and raised in Amsterdam and in Amsterdam there isn't much racism going. Everyone is accepted here. I never had een uncomfortable encounter here in my 29 years and none of my friends either.
Many different races live peacefully here.

I really liked to know which part in Amsterdams you had problems hahaha, i guess there must be a secret place in my city where i never been before haha.

BTW Amsterdam is mostly minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:01 PM

734 posts, read 2,608,463 times
You mentioned family in Montreal. I just want to point out that Montreal is a long, long ways from Detroit.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 23,553 times
Inter-racial couples here are so common that hardly anyone looks twice. I think this generation locally has made a point of dating and marrying outside of their own race. There are people from both sides of the color spectrum who want to make a strong statement that we are ready to forget the past and live harmoniously together in the future.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:55 PM

4,284 posts, read 10,723,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTEW View Post
Inter-racial couples here are so common that hardly anyone looks twice. I think this generation locally has made a point of dating and marrying outside of their own race. There are people from both sides of the color spectrum who want to make a strong statement that we are ready to forget the past and live harmoniously together in the future.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 AM

4,284 posts, read 10,723,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTEW View Post

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,311 times
You will be fine visiting Garden City and I'm sure your friend knows where to take you to be safe and have a good time, but brace yourself Michigan is boring!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:31 AM

105 posts, read 476,881 times

United States Cities by crime rate

Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 AM

16 posts, read 47,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dada19 View Post
You will be fine visiting Garden City and I'm sure your friend knows where to take you to be safe and have a good time, but brace yourself Michigan is boring!
What do you mean by boring? At home i'm used to a wide range of clubs restaurants lots of entertainment. I can't expect that from Michigan?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,169,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxzone View Post
What do you mean by boring? At home i'm used to a wide range of clubs restaurants lots of entertainment. I can't expect that from Michigan?
I have lived many different places and I am never bored in metro Detroit. If you stay in Garden City the whole time it might get boring, but if you visit Detroit, Royal Oak, Ferndale or even Ann Arbor there are many music clubs, restaurants, and cultural events. It is not boring here!

I don't think you will have any problem with racism, making racist comments is not acceptable behaviour here. There might be some curiosity as racially mixed couples aren't the norm, but I don't think anyone will be mean about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit