Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 24,249 times

Advertisements

Hi. Could someone help clarify muddy impressions? We're moving to the Detroit area in May w/ 2 elementary aged kids. Unlike a previous poster I DON"T want a conservative community. I want a walkable, liberal, (dare I hope) creative place to live. We can't afford much of a house, but are willing to fork out the higher rent to be somewhere that has good schools and is safe. Though I haven't visited, I like what I'm hearing about Birmingham. However, Grosse Pointe school district has what looks to be a strong gifted/talented magent school. Given that all suburbs have limitations, here are my questions:

1) Is Grosse Pointe conservative, boring, overtly religious?
2) Put another way, would my neighbors in GP have been more likely to elect Bush than my neighbors in Birmingham?
3) Is there any place I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Both Birmingham and all the Pointes are conservative communities.

You may want to look elsewhere for a liberal community -- Warren & Ferndale come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenasking View Post
2) Put another way, would my neighbors in GP have been more likely to elect Bush than my neighbors in Birmingham?

Neither is overtly religious. Both are wealthy enclaves with GP more Brahmin and B'ham more bourgeois. GP is geographically more isolated so that adds to the enclave image. If you want a truly walkable, liberal, creative, and safe place with very good schools, the best place is Ann Arbor. In Oakland County, the closest things are Ferndale, Berkley, and Royal Oak. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 AM

15 posts, read 60,700 times
You said you were moving in May - is that 2007 or 2008? Perhaps you've already made up your mind. In any event, here are some comments:

I would agree with the above poster about Ann Arbor - but this location might be too far for you. Having lived and worked in Birmingham, I would say that it is conservative - but with a small c. More fiscally conservative than socially. For example, the community has an active race relations task force and the city had an openly gay mayor in the past. But you could say that some are more tolerant of racial and cultural diversity than poverty.

It's got a thriving art community - Birmingham-Bloomfield is an artists' enclave and the schools are good. You can walk a short distance and get what you need without a car. If cost is a factor, try looking at the east side of Woodward - this part of Birmingham is less expensive (although not as trendy). The thing that you have to like about Birmingham or any of the other B's (Bloomfield, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms) is the high interest in being trendy and well-to-do. If you don't like that kind of lifestyle, then take it down a notch to less pretentious and more liberal Ferndale, Berkley or Royal Oak.

Ferndale and RO are more walkable than Berkley. They all have downtowns and lots of human activity - more so in Ferndale and RO than Berkley. However, the schools in Birmingham are among the best in the state - so it depends what you really want.

I can't speak about the Pointes, but I think they are not as forward-thinking - perhaps due to their isolation, as the previous poster mentioned.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,635 times
I personally prefer Birmingham over Grosse Pointe. I live in Beverly Hills, which is a stone's throw away from Birmingham. Because of the close proximity of Beverly Hills and Birmingham, these two cities share the same school district (Birmingham Public Schools). I moved to the area for that specific purpose three years ago (from Detroit) and have not been disappointed. I have two school age children, one in elementary the other in high school. Birmingham's public school system is arguably one of Michigan's best. I believe it to be THE BEST!

However, in order to be fair, there are pluses to living in Grosse Pointe. You will be close to downtown Detroit. Also Grosse Pointe Public Schools are excellent in performance and reputation. But there is an air of stuffiness in Grosse Pointe neighborhoods that you will not feel in Birmingham. Birmingham residents are very open, warm and friendly. Downtown Birmingham has very posh shopping and restaurants, without the snobbiness. There are also many beautiful parks for the children to play. I love living here and I believe you will too!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 PM
tod

12 posts, read 81,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenasking View Post
Hi. Could someone help clarify muddy impressions? We're moving to the Detroit area in May w/ 2 elementary aged kids. Unlike a previous poster I DON"T want a conservative community. I want a walkable, liberal, (dare I hope) creative place to live. We can't afford much of a house, but are willing to fork out the higher rent to be somewhere that has good schools and is safe. Though I haven't visited, I like what I'm hearing about Birmingham. However, Grosse Pointe school district has what looks to be a strong gifted/talented magent school. Given that all suburbs have limitations, here are my questions:

All they grosse pointes are very conservative. the city has no diversity what's so every. There not much to do, it's very boring. Great schools, but most students are conservative and don't like diversity.taxes are way to high and the homes are old, also it's right by detroit.. if i were you should live in TROY or the farmington area or even birmingham.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Just move. You will quickly become conservative and be happy where you are.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrstnMc3 View Post
I personally prefer Birmingham over Grosse Pointe. I live in Beverly Hills, which is a stone's throw away from Birmingham. Because of the close proximity of Beverly Hills and Birmingham, these two cities share the same school district (Birmingham Public Schools). I moved to the area for that specific purpose three years ago (from Detroit) and have not been disappointed. I have two school age children, one in elementary the other in high school. Birmingham's public school system is arguably one of Michigan's best. I believe it to be THE BEST!

However, in order to be fair, there are pluses to living in Grosse Pointe. You will be close to downtown Detroit. Also Grosse Pointe Public Schools are excellent in performance and reputation. But there is an air of stuffiness in Grosse Pointe neighborhoods that you will not feel in Birmingham. Birmingham residents are very open, warm and friendly. Downtown Birmingham has very posh shopping and restaurants, without the snobbiness. There are also many beautiful parks for the children to play. I love living here and I believe you will too!
I think this post hits it on the head. GP is very conservative in a wealthy, old money, trust fund sense. B'ham, while also upscale, has more of a limosine liberal feel.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:31 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
oops-sorry about the typo-that's limousine liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit