Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times

Advertisements

^It was Grits Sandwiches For Breakfast, which featured the singles Yo-Da-lin In The Valley and Pimp Of The Nation and Wax The Booty. Brilliant. ! He sounds soooo young on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:40 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,686 times
On the whole Kid Rock vs Eminem discussion: I believe that Kid Rock is much more versatile than Eminem. (My son calls him "Boy Country" after all the country he's been performing the last couple of years.) Having said that, I think both of them have enormous amounts of talent and have "made it" in a world that is so competitive, given their upbringings. BTW, Eminem sort of just grew on me -- I hated him at first.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 AM

^good post!
I think that's something that gets lost sometimes in the whole fandom garbage of "he SUCKS dude!" that people love to do about artists they're not fans of. Basically, if you've heard of them and they're on the radio and you've seen them on tv, etc -- they've been more successful than 99.9% of the people who try to make it in the music biz. Of course they have talent. It's like saying a professional baseball player "sucks". No. Just, no. The people who suck and are talentless are people you've never heard of. Whether you're a fan of Kid Rock's work and Eminem's work, they are extremely successful in hugely competitive field. You don't do that without talent. Saying otherwise is a very immature way of expressing you're dislike of their work. Both of them are writers, producers, singers, rappers, etc. Throw in Kid Rock's abilities on many instruments (to say nothing of his DJ skills), and you have a couple very talented guys there. Sure they could use a bath more frequently, but it just seems to silly to say anyone as successful as they are doesn't have talent.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,930 times
Some of his older stuff is severely underrated. Check it out for yourself. Back in 1996, his lyrical prowess was insane. Check out the song "Infinite" on Youtube to see what I'm talking about.

To answer your question, he didn't live in Detroit. From what I've heard he grew up in Warren County or some place like that. He worked down in Detroit and a lot of his childhood experiences he cherishes down there revolving around, I think, Kim and some of his high-school chums.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 AM

Thank you, Timm. BTW, I might add that I'm not your typical teeny-bopper (I'm old enough to have a 19-year-old grandchild) caught up in the raw language that both of them use to convey a message. If you actually READ their lyrics, you will see that they ARE trying to send a message. (Same with Marilyn Manson, believe it or not.) If you are trying to teach someone something, you have to speak their language -- be it Spanish, pig latin or the vulgar language that teens use today.

Ummm, Blacksite -- where is Warren County? It's the city of Warren, which is in Oakland County. Detroit is in Wayne County.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM

181 posts, read 607,384 times
Isn't Warren in Macomb County?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM

OOOPS!!!! Sorry 'bout that, GMonkey. You're right. **blushing**

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

194 posts, read 463,929 times
Hey, I was reading all this and had to comment. I lived in Romeo through my high school years and even had a drama class with Kid Rock (who BTW does not reach eminem's level of skill IMO) before moving to 8 Mile and Van Dyke (Detroit side) as a teenager. I spent alot of time on both sides of 8 mile, and south Warren is not even close to the sterile suburbs like romeo,Shelby Township,etc. The only difference between south warren and that same area of Detroit, is that Warren is whiter and the cops actually show up when you call em. Now go past Outer Drive, and it's like the wild west, I used to have alot of friends on Houston-Whittier, 6 mile and Van Dyke, etc. and those neighborhoods are in catagories only Detroiters would be able to understand.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 AM

104 posts, read 375,050 times
Do you really, honestly, truly think that if one is succesful in the music industry of today that it is soley because they have tons of talent? Really?

Sadly, in todays industry real talent has very little to do with it (most of the time). It's much more just plain ol marketing, timing, and luck.

The best example is Britney Spears. She's very pretty and a great dancer but by no means a great singer. Yet, she has sold millions and millions. Her voice is produced and manipulated to the hilt. There are tons of singers out there with more talent in their little finger than her that will never, ever see the light of day.

Paris Hilton makes movies. You see her on TV. She recorded an album. Is she some amazing talent? Nope. Odds are you've seen someone singing in a local bar or acting in a small play with more ability than her that will never get a record deal and never become a well known name.

Milli Vanili were extremely successful for a time. They won a grammy.... Everyone knows how that turned out.

Success doesn't always equal talent and vice versa.

And yes. Im my own personal opinion KR has no talent. I've listened to his music and it hurt my ears. I'm not a fan of rap music but I do think Eminem is extremely good at what he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I think that's something that gets lost sometimes in the whole fandom garbage of "he SUCKS dude!" that people love to do about artists they're not fans of. Basically, if you've heard of them and they're on the radio and you've seen them on tv, etc -- they've been more successful than 99.9% of the people who try to make it in the music biz. Of course they have talent. It's like saying a professional baseball player "sucks". No. Just, no. The people who suck and are talentless are people you've never heard of. Whether you're a fan of Kid Rock's work and Eminem's work, they are extremely successful in hugely competitive field. You don't do that without talent. Saying otherwise is a very immature way of expressing you're dislike of their work. Both of them are writers, producers, singers, rappers, etc. Throw in Kid Rock's abilities on many instruments (to say nothing of his DJ skills), and you have a couple very talented guys there. Sure they could use a bath more frequently, but it just seems to silly to say anyone as successful as they are doesn't have talent.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:39 AM

^So we disagree. I'm okay with that. I simply think it's an immature point of view to be declaring someone talentless just because you don't care for his/her art. There are many, many successful artists of whom I am not a fan at all. But I do recognize that they have some talent. To each his own though. I'm fine with it if you think that rapping, singing, writing, producing, guitar playing, bass playing, drums playing, keyboard playing, scratching, etc aren't talents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit