U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 AM

104 posts, read 342,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I'm fine with it if you think that rapping, singing, writing, producing, guitar playing, bass playing, drums playing, keyboard playing, scratching, etc aren't talents.

Those are all musical abilities for sure. However, it's totally up for debate on whether or not he does any of those things *well* (he doesn't--in my opinion) LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,721,489 times
^haha... fair enough!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,647 times
eminem grew up outside of detroit, and finally gave his town credit in his recent album. "in the streets of Warren, Michigan we call them trampstamps". he didnt grow up in Detroit. he worked there. two completely different things. i work in detroit. i am not from there. it is NOT the same.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,026,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
Hey, I was reading all this and had to comment. I lived in Romeo through my high school years and even had a drama class with Kid Rock (who BTW does not reach eminem's level of skill IMO) before moving to 8 Mile and Van Dyke (Detroit side) as a teenager. I spent alot of time on both sides of 8 mile, and south Warren is not even close to the sterile suburbs like romeo,Shelby Township,etc. The only difference between south warren and that same area of Detroit, is that Warren is whiter and the cops actually show up when you call em. Now go past Outer Drive, and it's like the wild west, I used to have alot of friends on Houston-Whittier, 6 mile and Van Dyke, etc. and those neighborhoods are in catagories only Detroiters would be able to understand.
1. Where I lived in Warren (Village area), the cops did NOT always show up. The dispatcher would tell you to move. The beat cop more likely than not never even knew you had a problem. The funniest thing was when he lived in Sterling Heights, in a McMansion right on Hayes, directly across from a trailer park. Living in Sterling Heights could not have been good for his street cred.
2. Eminem, I'm pretty sure, lived on Novara Street near State Fair and Hayes for a little bit. He mentioned Novara in a song.
3. I'm not proud to have Eminem and Kid Rock as my local cultural ambassadors, Kid Rock in particular. He's like the modern incarnation of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neither are in the same class as Bob Seger.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 AM

82 posts, read 130,962 times
My good friend lives off MacArthur a few blocks off 8 mile in south Warren and I'm over there at least 2 or 3 times a week and believe me it's insane over there; non-stop home invasions, everyone is either on drugs or selling them and constant violence. I dont like to name drop but I was involved with some of Eminems inner circle back in the day and he hung out in the Detroit all the time as did all of us. It's not suburbs like people who are far removed from the city would understand. To an outsider they wouldn't know if they were in Detroit or Warren because it's ecstatically and economically the same plus its a 5 min walk into Detroit. That's been the case with south Warren for decades, if anything it might actually be nicer now then it was in the 80's. Another thing Eminem worked at Gilberts forever and it's not in Detroit it's a nice bar and grill in St Clair Shores.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,752 times
Default Warren upper middle class?

I just want to respond to some earlier comment about Warren MI being upper middle class.

I lived in several Detroit suburbs for 30 years. I grew up closer to downtown Detroit than Eminem did, and I was in Detroit nearly every week, worked there, took courses there etc. I had relatives who lived in Warren, MI and I considered them and their neighborhood to be upper middle class.

Perhaps Eminem grew up in a terrible part of Warren that we never drove through. All I'm saying is that the previous comment about Warren being upper middle class is not totally off base.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,764,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred999 View Post
I just want to respond to some earlier comment about Warren MI being upper middle class.

I lived in several Detroit suburbs for 30 years. I grew up closer to downtown Detroit than Eminem did, and I was in Detroit nearly every week, worked there, took courses there etc. I had relatives who lived in Warren, MI and I considered them and their neighborhood to be upper middle class.

Perhaps Eminem grew up in a terrible part of Warren that we never drove through. All I'm saying is that the previous comment about Warren being upper middle class is not totally off base.
In the past 20 years I would say it hasnt been upper middle class. I have relatives that lived there all life and across the 8 mile road in Detroit (not too far from Eminem house) I never seen it to be on the same scale of Macomb or Shelby twp upper middle class. Now come to think maybe that's how Macomb and Shelby twp got started. Upper middle class from Warren could have moved there.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM

2,952 posts, read 4,347,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred999 View Post

Eminem did grow up in a couple houses in the city, one of them is on the cover of his new album. One was on Dresden, I forget where the other one was. Then he lived in Warren later. Then back to Detroit.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 PM

223 posts, read 548,515 times
Can't believe it took this long. Yes EMINEM was born in missouri, but one place he grew up in was 19946 Dresden, Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit