Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There is Tom Boy Supermarket in Detroit. detroitblog » Blog Archive » Bum rap - Complete with vagrants camping outside

The owner wants to sell it, though.
Great article!!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existtoexit View Post
Those statistics on iq are right off of wikipedia! Does wikipedia have some conspiracy theory too falsely show blacks as dumb?? I highly doubt that!
What source is to the paragraph? Who posted it? Was it reverted? In what context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Great article!!
Yep. I love DetroitBlog.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:45 PM

186 posts, read 588,043 times
Brother WilliamX You're making the exact point I've tried to make, I mean Detroit has declined more than other citied but bad things happen in places that are expected to be the best too so why trash a perfectly good city with descent hardworking people(mostly) when all cities and suburbs have issues some won't admit and others try to trash other cities thinking it will make of for the mistakes of their own city.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM

186 posts, read 588,043 times
People need to stop bad mouthing Detroit, especially the ones who's never been there. People make Detroit out to be the kind of place where you can just walk around the block an get robbed. Get Real. Detroit is like any other major U.S City, it's declining and for the most part has serious issues. Take pride in them because the nation looks at the city before the suburbs. So if you say that Detroit is bad, than what will that make it's suburbs.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
The suburbs are on a totally different level than Detroit, and I let people know that. Hell, it just takes ONE visit to realize that.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
The suburbs are on a totally different level than Detroit, and I let people know that. Hell, it just takes ONE visit to realize that.
I lived in the suburb of Chesterfield as a kid and the police were finding dead bodies a lot of times from people overdosing or dumped. Seems to be no different level.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
The subject of this thread is a non sequitur.

Here's the definition of "hype":

Quote:
5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
7. a swindle, deception, or trick.
The "hype", with regard to Detroit, is that it's a great, or even good place to live. All the negative stuff is not "hype", but rather an objective look at the place, without the rose-colored glasses.

The thread should more appropriately be titled: "Why Not Move To Detroit? The Hype Is True." That wouldn't be an accurate description of Detroit, but it would be what the writer was trying to imply, I think.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
I've never had an experience like that. Downtown, Redford, Pontiac, Berkley, Royal Oak, Dearborn, etc. aren't dangerous as long as you have common sense.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
It's a shame to hear about the conditions of Detroit.

As an outsider, I almost feel guilty. Doesn't seem like anyone gives a rat's azz about the place. It seems as though Detroit's problems have been discussed over and over again. But shouldn't we lay solutions on the table now?

Elect a new city government, gentrification, encourage new business and or industries to come to the city, etc. If more jobs become available and more people begin to move back into the city, a slow turn around could happen. More jobs and more people will of course equal more of a tax base which could allow for improvements for schools, roads, police etc. The police and more "affluent" folks (whether white, black, hispanic, asian, middle eastern, etc.) could drive out the "trash". Not only should there be an effort on the government's part (whether state, local, or federal), but also the general public. Such simple solutions. I understand Detroit's problems are complicated, but someone has to start somewhere. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Detroit is so bad that even with how bad the suburbs are, they can be on different levels. I've lived in Warren, Hazel Park and Royal Oak; and it's all the same thing in every place - daily car alarms, people shouting, police sirens, traffic accidents, new years day gunshots, obnoxious neighbors, people that don't take care of their houses... it's just all of the Metro in general.

Then, there are suburbs that are even worse than the standard.

I wouldn't set foot in Royal Oak Township, period.

Royal Oak City's full of low-rent, low density apartments (like this, only with couches instead of lawnchairs) that are in bad shape, have cardboard sheets taped in the windows and grafitti sprayed all over the walls.

Center Line? What's the deal with that anyway? It used to be a decent working class suburb, but yesterday I passed through there and there's boarded up houses, garages that are about ready to fall down, people that haven't touched their lawns in ages, cars that are almost completely rust...

Berkley, Hazel Park and Ferndale are still nice for the most part and aren't actually worse than the standard, but what's with all the thugs hanging around? It's like you can't go anywhere there without seeing a group of white-boys with their hoods up, their hands in their pockets and their backs hunched over like they're taking a hit off a pipe!

Roseville and Eastpointe are all crawling with gang territories, and it seems Warren is beginning to as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit