Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,696,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother WilliamX View Post
Ummm But I can understand why many of you left Detroit, But RedWingFan don't you come into Detroit (Joe Louis Arena) to see the Red Wings play?, and lets not talk about segregation and de-segregation.

I have been here in the inner-city 95% of my life, and I watched many of you take flight across 8 mile or Telegraph. Oh by the way I am a Black member of society, and I also remember that when you all took flight so did businesses.
The 1967 Riot was the official escape plan to run across 8 mile for most of you who can't admit you left for racist reasons.

However if Detroit is so bad why are some of you are returning back to the inner-city? Like I said Detroit is safer the most white suburbs. Sure we have our share of crime, but nobody is burning crosses on Black families lawns like they are in West Bloomfield Hills,Waterford,Clawson, and Howell is the new home of the now generation of Klans.

Many of you know it like I know it.. that during the Fireworks,a Tiger/Lions game,the Thankskilling parade you flock down here to the inner-city. So Detroit must be a safe town,due to the fact that it wasn't none of you would come into Detroit, and I can say Detroit is safe enough that you can leave your guns at home.
He speaks the truth, people! I have never in my Detroit-based life had a bad experience at the hands of anything but whiter-than-white Grosse Pointers, of which beware -- downtown residents (not that many white) are super nice. You can't let a few dim-bulb teenaged carjackers ruin the reputation of an entire city.

As to Howell being the current home of the KKK, I'm not sure about that. I've worked there for years. Nearby Cohoctah, MI was the home of the Grand Bunghole or whatever he calls himself, but that was 30 years ago. He's been dead since then. There have been recent recruiting attempts in the local bars, apparently by dope-addled teenagers with no actual Klan connections, but they pretty much get laughed out of the room. As it should be!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 AM

282 posts, read 1,165,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Brother William - you have lost your mind brother. :-)

Detroit Metro area is the most segregated metropolitan area in the country! You can certainly move to the metro area if you want to not live next to a minority, just don't move in the city of Detroit. The city of Detroit is like 80 percent black, while the suburbs are 80 percent white, with some being 90 or more percent white. So you can certainly find places to move where you won't live next to a minority.

But there are many reasons to not move to the Detroit area. It's not like all other cities. It's financially struggling something awful right now. Jobs are down, way down, people being layed off, losing their jobs, losing their homes to foreclosure, etc. The economic conditions of the Detroit metro area right now are really poor, that's reason enough to not move there.
No it isn't, it sucks but it isn't the most segregated city in the country. I've lived in more than most. MICHIGAN is dieing. It isn't b/c of race it's/b/c of corrupt politicians. I've seen it for over 30 years. The economy is a joke and they say we're doing good. **** that. They didn't learn from the problems from the 70's. Now it's a service industry.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 AM

999 posts, read 4,516,107 times
Quote:
Many of you know it like I know it.. that during the Fireworks,a Tiger/Lions game,the Thankskilling parade you flock down here to the inner-city. So Detroit must be a safe town,due to the fact that it wasn't none of you would come into Detroit, and I can say Detroit is safe enough that you can leave your guns at home.
Not me. The only time I've been downtown over the last couple years other than for church and Mexican food is when Frank Murphy beckons with a subpoena.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 33,465 times
Default DETROIT IS CRAP....along with all the cities around or near it!

Quote:
Ummm But I can understand why many of you left Detroit, But RedWingFan don't you come into Detroit (Joe Louis Arena) to see the Red Wings play?, and lets not talk about segregation and de-segregation.

I have been here in the inner-city 95% of my life, and I watched many of you take flight across 8 mile or Telegraph. Oh by the way I am a Black member of society, and I also remember that when you all took flight so did businesses.
The 1967 Riot was the official escape plan to run across 8 mile for most of you who can't admit you left for racist reasons.

However if Detroit is so bad why are some of you are returning back to the inner-city? Like I said Detroit is safer the most white suburbs. Sure we have our share of crime, but nobody is burning crosses on Black families lawns like they are in West Bloomfield Hills,Waterford,Clawson, and Howell is the new home of the now generation of Klans.

Yeah nothing like coming to Detroit to enjoy a nice fireworks show and having some idiots bust out their guns and start shooting at each other in a large crowd - exactly the reason why I would NEVER go to the detroit fireworks, unless on the canadian side. I purposely avoid going to anything in Detroit because I am afraid of getting robbed or shot, or coming out from a store and having my car stolen for the rims or whatever crap those people want. I live nearby detroit, and the outskirts of detroit and cities near 8 mile are becoming just as run-down and disgusting as detroit itself. This whole metro-detroit area is going down the drain, and now that I have graduated college I am getting out before I end up a statistic. If anyone would like to know how bad this area is, go watch the local news or look online at the detroitiscrap website. That will tell you exactly what goes on. Detroit is ranked as the top most dangerous city in the United States.....if I were to give advice to anyone who is thinking of moving in or near detroit, I would say DON'T.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,696,846 times
Wow, what kind of attitude is that? Dumb stuff like that shooting in Hart Plaza happens in every major city. That was the latest one, and that was a couple years ago at this point.

Don't you realize how much things have improved? I remember when kids were spraying so many bullets that there was a shooting every week, at least! There was a single weekend, the 2nd year I was in college in the early 80s, when 13 kids got shot. Now you rarely hear about stuff like that in Detroit because people are taking charge of the situation -- and that is despite brutal funding cuts that have the police down to a skeleton crew. They are doing it themselves despite having very little publicly-funded, uniformed help.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 AM

282 posts, read 812,378 times
You're kidding, right?
Don't you watch the news?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM

98 posts, read 479,894 times
Let's stop hiding the truth and just admit that Detroit is one of the most violent cities in america, Okay? Detroit didn't rack up 414 murders in 2006 because it was a friendly, nice city. And don't get me started on the abundant neighbofhoods that look a third world country. Detroit is all messed up, but people don't want to open up their eyes and see the blight around them.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:49 PM

144 posts, read 544,825 times
Quote:

You must be a student of Coleman A. Young. You're still harranging on events that happened 40 years ago. The riot was the "offical escape plan"? What the devil does that mean? If you remember the riot began when a blind pig was raided. And the last time I heard a blind pig was illegal. (I'm not going to defend the practices of the Police department in the 60's so don't even go there.) This wasn't a riot for equality.... a lady (a black lady, btw)that lived on Elmhurst about 13 blocks from where the riots started, was quoted by the Detroit News that the looters came down the street yelling "Hey, Hey, it's Christmas Day", doesn't sound like they were part of any civil rights movement to me. She also said she looked out to see teens smashing windows and running away with food and clothes. People fought over dry-cleaning in the street. Can't say I'd call those people pillars of black society, or someone I'd want to live next to.

And when someone is burning, looting and beating people in your neighborhood, wouldn't you look for someplace else to live? What in the world does the color of your skin have to do with wanting to feel safe and secure in the area you live in? Why would a business want to stay in that neighborhood?

As far as the Klan in Howell, get the facts. I now live in Brighton, a short distance from Howell. The Klan is about as active as Woodward Avenue at midnight. There is no real clan out here. In fact when a Howell antique auctioneer planned to auction some klan "memorabilia" the township stopped him. Burning crosses in the suburbs are a rare occurance and I'll wager to bet they were done by some punk that thought it was "cool".

You need a reality check. Detroit safer than some "white" suburbs? What statics can you present to back up that statement?

The current state of Detroit has nothing to do with "white flight" or the riots. The people of Detroit have elected two mayors that have no other goal in mind than serving themselves not the citizens of Detroit. One was a racist and the other is a thug.

It wasn't white flight or businesses moving out that caused corruption in the Detroit School Board, or crooked cops, or for that matter a lying Mayor. It wasn't white flight that created the drug problem. And don't give me it's the white suburbanites that buy the drugs, and the only reason that selling goes on in Detroit is because the dealers can't get jobs. That's a cop out. White flight didn't create the nearly 75% drop out rate in Detroit public schools. (Detroit is the 11th largest school district in the country.)

And as far as "why are some of you are returning back to the inner-city?" I doubt there is ANYONE returning to the inner-city. Perhaps, Indian Village, Rosedale Park and the like, but it's laughable that anyone would chose to live in the "inner-city"

You need to open your eyes Brother William X and see Detroit for what it really has become and the reason why. You're living in a fantasy.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM

24 posts, read 124,359 times
Actually, I liked Dennis Archer, I really did. I see kwaame as a coleman wannabe. As to how the city looks, it looks like crap. Since I am employed by a local utility and find myself pretty much all over the city, I can attest to this. Yes there is a bunch of new housing popping up all over the place but why would I spend $150,000+++ to have a new house next to a couple vacant lots and burned out houses? Why would I want to spend a couple grand a year JUST FOR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE? Why would I want to pay an extra couple grand a year auto insurance SURCHARGE just to live in Detroit? I hate to break this to you Brother William, but I could live in West Bloomfield and STILL enjoy the Redwings, the fireworks, the DIA, the Science Center and anything else you could possibly come up with. By the same token I would also enjoy better schools, better city services and significantly lower insurance rates. I go into neighborhoods where the people are not only unemployed but UNEMPLOYABLE. They do nothing but sit around all day playing video games while there is garbage in the streets and the backyards look like a missile testing site. I always think to myself, you knuckleheads ain't got sh*t else to do, this area should be spotless. But like a lot of black people I meet, they don't feel compelled to clean up their neighborhoods. They are waiting for someone else to do it because they feel that it is below them. You see a bunch of $50,000 cars parked ON THE GRASS of $20,000 houses. You see $500 cars with $3000 stereos in them. Why, you might ask? Obviously, there priorities are not straight. They want the best and the biggest and the brightest AND THEY WANT IT NOW!!! Tell them to get an education and these things will come someday and they will look at you like you're crazy. If they paid half as much attention in English class as they do on Playstation they would realize that the word "BE" is a verb and not a noun. Detroit is a crappy city. It's been a crappy city for a while and it will continue to be a crappy city for some time yet. I personally don't have the patience to wait for the "rebirth". I can say this all day long and twice on Sunday because I live here and I'm dealing with this crap every day. I've got 2-3 years left and I'm counting the days. Brother William, you really need to lay off the sh*t. It's really starting to affect your mind and your judgement. For what it's worth, I am a Black man, not an african american, just a black man, or even better, JUST AN AMERICAN. Never wore an afro and I was born in DC, not Africa. If this is the mindset everyone is adopting then I guess we should start calling white people "european americans". Last but not least, Kwaame, just pay the damn lawsuit and quit cryin' like a lil BIOTCH!!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:34 PM

999 posts, read 4,516,107 times
Quote:
Actually, I liked Dennis Archer, I really did.
Rather ironic how his son wound up with so many of the concessions at the new airport terminal........Same story, different names.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit