Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,043 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a job at the Army installation in Warren, MI. We currently live in a suburb of Salt Lake City.

We have 2 children (ages 11 & 7). We are looking for a good place to move. Most important are great schools & low crime. We are looking to buy a home in the $150-$225 K range. What areas would be best? My husband would like a commute less than 45 minutes if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

28 posts, read 80,476 times
Dont get a place in Warren its not all that good and getting worse. Pretty much stay north of at least 14 mile road.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
I would suggest living in the Romeo/Armada/Richmond area. It's about 15 miles north of Warren and a direct shot up Van Dyke (the main road to the Warren). Each of the three have small Victorian type towns with housing in that price range. Good solid schools, low crimes. And even a Mormon Church.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM

No need for the Mormon Church. One of the reasons we are leaving Utah.

I've been told about South Lyons, New Hudson and Macomb Township. How are the schools and house prices in those areas? Are they good places to raise kids?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM

339 posts, read 975,748 times
Welcome to MI,
If you are going to be working in Warren and with that price range you will have plenty of choices. I also work in Warren very close to where your husband will be working but we need to know what are your preferences: city, suburban, rural? want to be near shopping and ammenities? All of that can be found within 45 min of Warren so we need a little more detail.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
South Lyon and New Hudson are too far from Warren for it to make sense. I don't know much about Macomb Twp other than it is small and rural. If I were in your situation, I would look at St. Claire Shores and Grosse Pointe Woods above all else. Those are the nicest communities in that area, and nice communities overall. They have upscale reputations, good schools, are safe, and are very close to Warren. They are also pretty close to MetroBeach on Lake St. Claire, which is a really nice public beach. With the housing market the way it is right now, you can probably find a place in SCS or GPW within your price range.

Good Luck, and Welcome to Metro Detroit!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM

We're looking for something suburban. Close to shopping, but I'm okay with driving 20 minutes to get somewhere.

I've looked at the Grosse Point areas and while they seem really nice with a great school district, we can't really afford $10,000+ a year for property taxes. We were looking at the $3-5 K a year range. Right now we pay only about $2K for property taxes so $8K+ is something we can't do.

Anyone know about the Novi area? We know someone that also works in Warren that lives there. However, he's single and can't tell us much about the school district.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM

339 posts, read 975,748 times
Novi is very nice and has great schools, but I don't know much about their property taxes but I bet they are way lower than Grosse pointe. One option also ( if you want lower property taxes and good schools) is the area of Shelby Twp, South of Washington Twp and North of Sterling Heights, they are very suburban areas within the Utica school system and the taxes are much more affordable. They are close to Hall Rd/M-59 which has a lot of shopping options.

Another option is Troy, aslo very suburban with good ammenities and good schools if you are within the Troy school system. A little further north west is Rochester Hills it is still suburban but a little more spread out. Those are the places I know of the most. I drive only 20 min to work but when its winter with the snow and ice it adds a good 10 to 15 min to that, so that something to keep in mind.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
If you want suburban - consider Shelby Township/Washington Township. Both are along Vandyke and close to Stoney Creek (Metropark). The school districts are good - Utica has been one of the better public school districts in Macomb County. RH Roadie is pretty much spot on. Just get a place north of Hall Road (M-59) in any of the communities and you'll be fine. Most of them were farms 20 years ago - so relatively newer construction subdivisions - lower taxes, but no real "small towns" like in Oakland County. Hall Road has every big box/mall store imaginable so you'll never be more than a 15 minute drive from everything. Something like this...
57015 Curtis Street, Washington Township MI - Trulia

Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
Try Royal Oak or Clawson. Traffic would be better than heading north on Van Dyke or north on any road in the area after 4pm which could add on 20 - 30 min extra commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit