U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 PM

25 posts, read 150,263 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research and I'm very interested in the urban studies program at Wayne State. Does anyone know anything about the program?

Last edited by t.dot.o; 08-24-2008 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM

75 posts, read 392,587 times
The Urban Studies program would be a good minor but probably won't help you go too far as a major/degree. You may want to major in Social Work and minor in Urban Studies.

Wayne State is pretty much degrading as time continues. Their classes are generally easier than many of the local community colleges. Which is great if you want a good grade but fails when it comes to education. You also need to be extremely on top of EVERYTHING at WSU. For example, I had an advisor tell me I didn't need foreign language, sign off on my plan of work (degree program) and then ONE semester before I graduated I was told I had to take THREE semesters of a foreign language. Luckily I had spanish in High school and was able to take the accelerated course and only push back graduation by one semester.

Another advisor (in the graduate program) told me to take a more concentrated program for my area of study (education) and EVERY employer I interviewed with told me I needed the broaded area.

I'm sure it's not too much different than any other university, but you really need to be careful!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:59 PM

thanks lavendersunrise!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:26 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,207 times
Lavender Sunrise -- you make it sound like it's becoming a degree mill. That's very sad if it's true.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 20,688 times
I attended WSU for undergrad and law school ('05 grad) and I can't say enough great things about it! I disagree w/ the poster who stated that a WSU degree doesn't stand up against an MSU degree - not my experience w/ employers at all - and I'm currently on the hiring committee. From what I've heard, employers see Wayne as a school that is more intellectual than a "party" school like MSU. They expect WSU grads to be more urban-minded, less sorrority. Seems like it would be a good fit for you.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks Called_Out!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Called_Out View Post
I attended WSU for undergrad and law school ('05 grad) and I can't say enough great things about it! I disagree w/ the poster who stated that a WSU degree doesn't stand up against an MSU degree - not my experience w/ employers at all - and I'm currently on the hiring committee. From what I've heard, employers see Wayne as a school that is more intellectual than a "party" school like MSU. They expect WSU grads to be more urban-minded, less sorrority. Seems like it would be a good fit for you.
It's possible that the WSU law school might be a little more respected than MSU's law school, but I question how it measures up in other areas.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 13,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Called_Out View Post
OH, PLEASE! I went to U of M and I know MSU is better than Wayne! US News and World report just came out with University of Michigan AND Michigan State University as Tier One Universities. AND Wayne State University? A Tier THREE university.

Michigan State is given it's party image because it's one of the largest schools in the country and we at U of M like to mock it.

And what hiring committee are you on? I'm a partner at a firm (not law) and we generally throw out WSU resume's (unless someone has a special need to hire a WSU grad; like it's a relative).

Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 20,638 times
WSU was dropped to a Tier 4! University this year. University of Michigan and Michigan State maintain Tier 1 status. So Wayne's Law dropped below Michigan State Law School (which is a new Law school).

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 AM

Jimmer, are you trying to suggest that Wayne State Law School is now a Third Tier Toilet (TTT) law school?

THIRD TIER REALITY

(For the record, I have yet to see WSU Law School ever being accused of being a "Toilet" on the law school scambusting blogs circuit, but maybe WSU grads don't post on JD Underground and the like.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or