U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 13,695 times

Advertisements

US New and World Report rate Wayne State University as a Third Tier School. I don't know if you like that publication but it's a "printed" and respected publication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 20,642 times
Default 4th Tier? WSU

I think WSU is 4th Tier now; not third:

Wayne State University - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,791 times
Is Wayne State's law school pretty much the top dog in Michigan after U of M (which places students nationally, many of whom couldn't imagine staying in Michigan)? If so then going to Wayne State might not be such a horrible thing to do for someone who plans to stay in Michigan, though I would imagine that it would still be very difficult to find an associate position after graduating.

In other news, Cooley was just declared to be a "Smoldering, Steaming Pile of Excrement: Thomas M. Cooley Law School" on the Third Tier Reality law school scambusting blog. Here's a video which might help illustrate what graduating from Cooley and then trying to get a job might look like:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6306517/

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 03-24-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 PM

67 posts, read 134,509 times
Wayne is the go-to for the majority of the U of M students who don't get into U of M graduate programs. I know several kids who have gone to Wayne State. Detroit is nasty, yes but Wayne is safe

Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 AM

PLEASE. Seriously, are you kidding? Where did you get the stats that "Wayne is the go-to" for Students that didn't get into U of M?. lol.. I didn't get into Tier ONE, University of Michigan, so I'll go to Tier Four Wayne State? Big drop there, big drop in status. Chances are those students didn't have a chance of getting into U of M anyway.

Why not choose Western Michigan which is Second/Third Tier? Or Michigan State which is also First Tier? But Wayne State? at Fourth Tier?

I doubt any professor who goes to a conference is recognized as being from Wayne State University in Detroit. I'm gunna bet 99.9% of their colleages are going to ask them where they are from and where is WSU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M032387 View Post
Wayne is the go-to for the majority of the U of M students who don't get into U of M graduate programs. I know several kids who have gone to Wayne State. Detroit is nasty, yes but Wayne is safe

Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM

183 posts, read 283,237 times
I went to U of M and I am not a lawyer but I personally am friends with a senior partner at a law firm who got his J.D. from Wayne and he has done very well for himself financially. I don't know about people who want to go out of state but it seems like most of the attorneys and judges around here I have dealt with have degrees from Wayne.

They have put a ton of money into that school and I am amazed that it has done as well as it has in the Cass Corridor of Detroit.

BTW, I gave up my subscription to U.S. News and World Report because it seemed like all they were doing was these so-called best of issues that they were hoping the winning schools, hospitals, etc. would pay big money to advertise their 'victory'.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM

What you said is libellous and ignorant! I am VERY much aware of WSU, been there and know it's faculty. US News and World Report doesn't advertise universities (nor are they bribed to shill for them) and they even cite the calculations that they use to arrive at each Tier ranking. DATA is supplied by the Universities. WAYNE supplied it's own data that RANKED it in the 4th TIER. THEY can go over the numbers themselves.

Just because WSU is cranking out Lawyers doesn't mean it's a good school! OMG!

AND I think most lawyers WOULD like the ability to go out of state to a firm (and get a job).

And for the guy bashing Cooley Law all the time? It's a Tier 3 and WSU is Tier 4. Hmmm...what does that say about WSU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
I went to U of M and I am not a lawyer but I personally am friends with a senior partner at a law firm who got his J.D. from Wayne and he has done very well for himself financially. I don't know about people who want to go out of state but it seems like most of the attorneys and judges around here I have dealt with have degrees from Wayne.

They have put a ton of money into that school and I am amazed that it has done as well as it has in the Cass Corridor of Detroit.

BTW, I gave up my subscription to U.S. News and World Report because it seemed like all they were doing was these so-called best of issues that they were hoping the winning schools, hospitals, etc. would pay big money to advertise their 'victory'.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Jimmier check your blood pressure

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmier View Post
PLEASE. Seriously, are you kidding? Where did you get the stats that "Wayne is the go-to" for Students that didn't get into U of M?. lol.. I didn't get into Tier ONE, University of Michigan, so I'll go to Tier Four Wayne State? Big drop there, big drop in status. Chances are those students didn't have a chance of getting into U of M anyway.

Why not choose Western Michigan which is Second/Third Tier? Or Michigan State which is also First Tier? But Wayne State? at Fourth Tier?

I doubt any professor who goes to a conference is recognized as being from Wayne State University in Detroit. I'm gunna bet 99.9% of their colleages are going to ask them where they are from and where is WSU?

I didn't pull stats dear, I know quite a few kids from Birmingham/Bloomfield who ended up at Wayne out of convenience after U of M. It is very common for Oakland County brats to end up at Wayne. Quit blowing steam for pete's sake get a grip

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M032387 View Post
I didn't pull stats dear, I know quite a few kids from Birmingham/Bloomfield who ended up at Wayne out of convenience after U of M. It is very common for Oakland County brats to end up at Wayne. Quit blowing steam for pete's sake get a grip
I can see the logic of someone who grew up in the Detroit area attending Wayne State. I think it's probably the 2nd most highly regarded law school in the state, which essentially makes it top dog since U of M gets most of its law students from out-of-state and places most of them out-of-state anyway. (I wouldn't be surprised if many of them regard Michigan as being icky and only attended because they couldn't gain admission to other Top 10 law schools.) The other reason to attend Wayne State would be if you could live at home with your parents and thus not have to borrow loans to cover your cost of living (which could add $45,000+ to your total law school loan debt over three years).

I just looked up Wayne State at U.S. News's law school rankings website and apparently, according to U.S. News, Wayne wants a whopping $22,407 for in-state tuition to the law school, which I do think is rather outrageous for a lower-tier school. (State schools in other states often only charge $10,000-15,000.)

Source: Rankings - Best Law Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/rankings/title+wayne - broken link)

Still, if your total cost is $25,000/year to attend, you'll "only" rack up around $75,000-80,000 in loan debt over three years, which is a huge amount of debt to enter a profession that has produced three or four times more graduates than what the market needs over the past several decades, but probably less than what most people would rack up at other lower-tier law schools (where it could get as high as 3 x ($35,000 + $15,000) = $150,000). Even if a school asks for $20,000/year, that's $105,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or