U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:16 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,207 times

Advertisements

I just looked at other Michigan schools in the U.S. News rankings:

Rankings - Best Law Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/rankings/state+MI - broken link)

It's very shocking to see that (according to U.S. News) Wayne State is the least expensive law school in the state for someone who can get in-state tuition. This is sad because other states offer law degrees for as low as $10,000-$15,000/year at their state schools. For example, Florida and Florida State, which are ranked 51 and 52 respectively, charge under $13,000/year for in-state tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM

67 posts, read 134,490 times
I know plenty of reputable Surgeons, Lawyers, etc. that have a degree from Wayne in the Metro area. It's all relative. I was just making reference to the kids native to Metro. So many of them go to U of M and don't make it into the graduate programs, so to stay close to home as you said, they 'stoop' to Wayne. Jim needs to take a cold shower and do some mantras lmao

Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M032387 View Post
I know plenty of reputable Surgeons, Lawyers, etc. that have a degree from Wayne in the Metro area. It's all relative. I was just making reference to the kids native to Metro. So many of them go to U of M and don't make it into the graduate programs, so to stay close to home as you said, they 'stoop' to Wayne. Jim needs to take a cold shower and do some mantras lmao
Those students really do need to give very serious consideration to leaving the state of Michigan, not only in order to be able to attend more prestigious programs, but also just to be able to set up shop in a state that isn't dying.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 20,638 times
"DEAR"
I'm not from Bloomfield or Birmingham nor do I care if they choose to go there. I only stated facts. And "Stats" and "facts" are important if you want to discuss reality and not perception of reality . It is a 4th Tier school. It is smarter for a student to attend U of M Dearborn. It has a higher Tier and your diploma says University of Michigan.

So for the "Oakland County" people you seem to dislike "M032387", it is wiser to drive to Dearborn to get a degree from U of M Dearborn. Actually, it's wiser for anyone in the 4 counties to drive to U of M Dearborn.

Of course, they don't have a Law School but Law school is a small population. If you commute? you have WSU or go full-time (and leave the area) to a higher Tier University.

If people choose to go to WSU? THAT is their choice but they should be aware of it's low ranking nationally (whether you like the rank or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M032387 View Post
I didn't pull stats dear, I know quite a few kids from Birmingham/Bloomfield who ended up at Wayne out of convenience after U of M. It is very common for Oakland County brats to end up at Wayne. Quit blowing steam for pete's sake get a grip

Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Yac

6,017 posts, read 6,734,512 times
Before this thread gets ugly, I'd like to ask everyone to calm down and remain respectful.
Yac.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 31,274 times
Default Wayne State University 4th Tier Rank

OMG! I didn't realize that Wayne State Dropped to 4th Tier (4 being the lowest!) when ranked as a whole unit. I think that is a little harsh, I think it's a solid 3rd Tier school/university.

Wayne State University - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 AM

12 posts, read 45,785 times
Posters,

I am not sure how a question about attending Wayne State as an undergraduate institution devolved into a shouting match about the quality of legal education at Wayne State. Full disclosure, I am a professor at Wayne State and I moved to Michigan to take up my academic post here. Before coming to Wayne State I taught at flagship Public Ivy's such as UNC Chapel Hill and UC Berkeley. I have my Ph.D. from UC Berkeley as well.

Wayne State has over the last few years attracted a lot of top notch junior faculty. I have colleagues that have attended U of M, Yale, UT-Austin, and Stanford to name a few of the top graduate schools from which Wayne State draws its faculty.

This particular student was interested in doing work that is urban studies based and social work related. What more could he ask for than to attend Wayne State where these programs are highly ranked in these particular fields and where his learning would be more experiential and not just confined to books? What can Ann Arbor teach a student about social work or urban studies that he would not better learn in Detroit itself?

Of course Wayne State does not have the reputation of U or M or Michigan State University. But having taught at peer institutions, I am consistently impressed with my students at Wayne State. What sets them apart is not their brightness or drive, rather it is that they did not have the privilege or the set of life circumstances to attend the so-called elite universities.

That being said I constantly remind my students that their university education is what they make of it. If they work hard and make connections at Wayne State or any other university, they will be mentored by some of the best scholars in the field. They will have the recommendations, the GPA, and better still the tools to further their study should they want to go to graduate school.

As far as the Law School is concerned. It depends entirely on what type of law a person wants to practice. If you are going to law school to make money, or work for corporate America then yes a degree from U or M or Michigan State is more highly regarded. That being said legal education like any other form of education is what you make of it and some Wayne State Law alumni are very well paid. However, if your interest is in social justice law broadly defined then that is part of Wayne State's mission. US News and World Report does not factor things like this into its ranking. It is concerned with ranking Law Schools based on reputation and money and Wayne State will always be disadvantaged when it comes to these aspects of their rankings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with corporate law, or going to law school to earn lots of money. However, these are not the ONLY reasons why people pursue a legal education and Wayne State recognizes that and provides something different from what their peer institutions provide. There is certainly nothing wrong with Wayne State doing that either at the undergraduate or the graduate level but because these kinds of things are not valued in society or by the legal profession as a whole then Wayne State will be lower ranked according to US News.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,552,091 times
I've interacted with the undergrad and graduate community at WSU. As a graduate student at a tier 1 uni, I can tell you at least in quality of education that WSU is a good school. Far less attention to basketball and getting drunk 4 nights a week, far more attention to the books.

I'd send my kids there if they wanted to go, gladly. I'm even considering going further in my graduate studies by transferring to WSU and finally relocating to my favorite state.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 AM

90 posts, read 124,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyjop2 View Post
OH, PLEASE! I went to U of M and I know MSU is better than Wayne! US News and World report just came out with University of Michigan AND Michigan State University as Tier One Universities. AND Wayne State University? A Tier THREE university.

Michigan State is given it's party image because it's one of the largest schools in the country and we at U of M like to mock it.

And what hiring committee are you on? I'm a partner at a firm (not law) and we generally throw out WSU resume's (unless someone has a special need to hire a WSU grad; like it's a relative).
This may be a tad off topic, but throwing out the resume of someone just because of their school is a very dense action. It's sad that people still do that these days.

I'd say the reputation of WSU isn't as high as say U of M or MSU, but on the other hand, it's possible to do what you want with a degree. My take is that if someone is that caught up in prestige and where you're from and stuff like that, you probably don't want to work or be involved with them.

Go to a school because the program that you want is good and the general education of the school is decent. Lets face it, many kids don't go to college to take a general ed course about art and humanities, they go because they want to study a certain subject. (Or the fact that you sort of just have to go these days) Honestly, you can make a general education course anything you want as professors/TAs are usually more than willing to discuss things outside of the syllabus with you.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,690 times
Yes, it may be sad to throw resumes away. But we live in a world where everything is RANKED and RATED for quality: cars, commodities, even blenders.

We have to "Judge" everything. It's not pretty but we all do it. Employers have to do it in a very tough economy where you may only have the fact you went to a "recognizable school" as your "help" to get noticed for a job.

Yes, it's all sad but it's reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Millionaire7 View Post
This may be a tad off topic, but throwing out the resume of someone just because of their school is a very dense action. It's sad that people still do that these days.

I'd say the reputation of WSU isn't as high as say U of M or MSU, but on the other hand, it's possible to do what you want with a degree. My take is that if someone is that caught up in prestige and where you're from and stuff like that, you probably don't want to work or be involved with them.

Go to a school because the program that you want is good and the general education of the school is decent. Lets face it, many kids don't go to college to take a general ed course about art and humanities, they go because they want to study a certain subject. (Or the fact that you sort of just have to go these days) Honestly, you can make a general education course anything you want as professors/TAs are usually more than willing to discuss things outside of the syllabus with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or