U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,825,147 times

Advertisements

When I graduated from Wayne's law school, 20 or so years ago, Wayne consistently led the other state law schools in the percentage of graduates passing the bar on the first attempt. UofM Law has the best out of state reputation, but I would match lawyers I know from Wayne against many, if not most, of those graduating from higher rated schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,690 times
20 years ago? It is NOW CONSISTENTLY ranked as a 3rd Tier law school by most publications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
When I graduated from Wayne's law school, 20 or so years ago, Wayne consistently led the other state law schools in the percentage of graduates passing the bar on the first attempt. UofM Law has the best out of state reputation, but I would match lawyers I know from Wayne against many, if not most, of those graduating from higher rated schools.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,099 times
If the question is Wayne State Universities reputation; it's a forth Tier University.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...yne-state-2329

Most people OUTSIDE the state have never heard of the place.

Please don't bring up Med School and all the Metro Detroit doctors who went there. Med school is a different campus and has a different ranking.

The main campus is 4th Tier.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,551,575 times
As I said, to offer an alternative from all those who create an account on here just to trash it like the above post, I can tell you -

People outside the state do know about it. Here in KY we see a lot of WSU-UL-UK-EKU-WKU-NKU interaction compared to some 1st tier schools even.

It is a good school - you can get the same education there that you can at UChicago, with a bit less pretentiousness.

It's safe, and while the reputation may not be the best, WSU can provide you the tools you need and a unique experience as a future member of the educated sector.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 PM

UK, No one said it was NOT a good school. It's just not a big nationally recognized school (it's pumped up that way by some faculty and TV commercials). You most likely had a scholarship from WSU. I think most people who post here are just saying that if you are paying full price? There are better alternatives. Such as U of M Dearborn.

I'm sure you received a good education from WSU. I actually have spoken to faculty there who have mentioned that many colleages at conferences out of the state of Michigan do NOT know where WSU is...if PHd's at other universities do not know where it is? I just don't know.

It's just like getting a degree from Madonna, Baker College, etc. They are good schools but are not nationally recognized.

Oh, MED School is a VERY different story. Med School is a nationally recognized school (they like to mention that to every other school at the University that without MED school, there would be no WAYNE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
As I said, to offer an alternative from all those who create an account on here just to trash it like the above post, I can tell you -

People outside the state do know about it. Here in KY we see a lot of WSU-UL-UK-EKU-WKU-NKU interaction compared to some 1st tier schools even.

It is a good school - you can get the same education there that you can at UChicago, with a bit less pretentiousness.

It's safe, and while the reputation may not be the best, WSU can provide you the tools you need and a unique experience as a future member of the educated sector.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,799,557 times
I'm from the east coast and I've heard of Wayne State, a few different ways. Never heard of UofM Dearborn. Just sayin'.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 57,429 times
Hey, I attend WSU now if you are gonna take up humanities / social work its a great school especially our social work program i think you will do well. Call this number 313 577-2680 and ask for Mr. Alston he is an academic advisor. I wouldnt suggest you living in Highland Park at all, and I have been living in Detroit my whole life. I am very well traveled and definately would like for you to look for other apartments or homes in the immediate area of WSU Check out the streets, Canfield, Palmer, Cass, Warren, Woodward, and 94 service dr.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM

I'm sure you have heard of University of Michigan. It has three campuses and Dearborn is one of them (Ann Arbor is main campus). Your diploma only says you graduated from University of Michigan (it doesn't mention which campus you attended). Actually, U of M Dearborn's Campus is rated as a Tier One School (Flint's campus is Tier 2 or 3 though). But impressive that University of Michigan Dearborn's satellite (a totally independent campus) ranks Tier one and Wayne State University ranks Tier four. Go to Community college for freshman and sophomore year and transfer up to U of M (or Michigan State or Western for that matter) for junior and senior year and it will still be cheaper by far than 4 years of WSU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I'm from the east coast and I've heard of Wayne State, a few different ways. Never heard of U of M Dearborn. Just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I'm from the east coast and I've heard of Wayne State, a few different ways. Never heard of UofM Dearborn. Just sayin'.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,551,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyjop2 View Post
UK, No one said it was NOT a good school. It's just not a big nationally recognized school (it's pumped up that way by some faculty and TV commercials). You most likely had a scholarship from WSU. I think most people who post here are just saying that if you are paying full price? There are better alternatives. Such as U of M Dearborn.

I'm sure you received a good education from WSU. I actually have spoken to faculty there who have mentioned that many colleages at conferences out of the state of Michigan do NOT know where WSU is...if PHd's at other universities do not know where it is? I just don't know.

It's just like getting a degree from Madonna, Baker College, etc. They are good schools but are not nationally recognized.

Oh, MED School is a VERY different story. Med School is a nationally recognized school (they like to mention that to every other school at the University that without MED school, there would be no WAYNE).
'scuse me, I've got a scholarship for University of Kentucky, a leading research university and internationally recognized as a tier 1 institute. I still can't find a problem with WSU.

The difference between schools like Madonna, Baker and WSU is that they aren't research institutions (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not positive on this, but I've never heard of any groundbreaking things coming from these) and are more career oriented than academically oriented.

I didn't attend WSU, but I've visited the campus, sat in on classes, and find the quality to be on average as good as the education I get here in KY, except WSU's professors tend to actually speak English.

...and I've never been considered a resident of Michigan, even. I'm not trying to boost the school because I went there or have pride in it, I'm trying to say that the quality is great. Also, all Michigan tuition costs to me, are considered out of state. I can't afford any of them, but would go to UofM, MichTech, MSU, EMU, WSU, UofMD, Ferris State, NMU, CMU, WMU, UofMF, GVSU, SVSU in that order.

The original thread title is "Wayne State University - reputation, quality of education?"

Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 32,088 times
aahhem...I think the question was REPUTATION and QUALITY. No one is questioning University of Kentucky's rank. It's a very good school. No one but you brought it up. It's nice you think WSU is as good as UK.

The question was does WSU have a good reputation and is it a quality school. It's reputation IN MICHIGAN is AVERAGE (and has NO reputation outside of Michigan) and OK, it's a decent quality school.

Our Lady of Marmalaude College is probably a good, quality school in Candy Land but no one has actually heard of it. There are HUNDREDS of "decent" schools in America. The same goes for WSU; no one has heard of it beyond Michigan (and even in Michigan you have "settled" when you go there.) AND if you question whether I'm a suburbanite who is just talking trash? BEEN TO WSU AND DONE IT AND LEFT.

Any research Med school is doing is NOT helping undergrads at WSU. It's a Tier 3-4 school. Just simple.

AGAIN, as many people have said, it is logical to go to community college for freshman and sophomore year and then transfer to a well known school for Junior and Senior year. WSU isn't even on the radar of most employers. US News and World Report was right to make it 4th Tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
'scuse me, I've got a scholarship for University of Kentucky, a leading research university and internationally recognized as a tier 1 institute. I still can't find a problem with WSU.

The difference between schools like Madonna, Baker and WSU is that they aren't research institutions (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not positive on this, but I've never heard of any groundbreaking things coming from these) and are more career oriented than academically oriented.

I didn't attend WSU, but I've visited the campus, sat in on classes, and find the quality to be on average as good as the education I get here in KY, except WSU's professors tend to actually speak English.

The original thread title is "Wayne State University - reputation, quality of education?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or