U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
The difference between schools like Madonna, Baker and WSU is that they aren't research institutions (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not positive on this, but I've never heard of any groundbreaking things coming from these) and are more career oriented than academically oriented.
Wayne State is not a research institution? As far as I know it's regarded as a Tier 1 research university and has over 10,000 graduate students, thousands of whom are pursuing PhDs. Wayne State might not have the best and most famous scientists like Berkeley does, but research still occurs and papers are still published none-the-less. Not all worthwhile research that contributes to man's knowledge of the world is sexy and news headline worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,552,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Wayne State is not a research institution? As far as I know it's regarded as a Tier 1 research university and has over 10,000 graduate students, thousands of whom are pursuing PhDs. Wayne State might not have the best and most famous scientists like Berkeley does, but research still occurs and papers are still published none-the-less. Not all worthwhile research that contributes to man's knowledge of the world is sexy and news headline worthy.
I meant the first two weren't, the AND was to contrast between them.

Adding and twice would've made it look wrong. I meant to say Between Madonna and Baker and Wayne State, using and as a separator between the first two and the third.

I know this, as I'm likely to go for a doctorate in the distant future and WSU is an option

Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 32,089 times
But you see UK and Bhaalspawn:
IN THE END, WSU is not recognizable outside of the state and is only border line "average" in the state. AND it ranks LOW on the research institutions nationally. PLEASE! It ranks really low on research nationally. Stop listening to TV commercials or tenured WSU faculty who have to pumped themselves up 'cause they are stuck at WSU (and many secretly admit they dream to "get out."

FOR an UNDERGRAD? it's programs ARE RANKED Tier 3-4! That is a waste of good money.

And UK? You seem very smart. I would consider a nationally recognized university for a PHd (WSU is not). I've seen that WSU PHd's don't get hired at any decent Universities (trust me, I'm on the inside and have seen it! Michigan State wouldn't even take a WSU PHd. for tenure track). If you want a good job after your PHd? WSU isn't going to get you a tenure track position ANYWHERE you want to be.

Quote:
I meant the first two weren't, the AND was to contrast between them.

Adding and twice would've made it look wrong. I meant to say Between Madonna and Baker and Wayne State, using and as a separator between the first two and the third.

I know this, as I'm likely to go for a doctorate in the distant future and WSU is an option

Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latsar View Post
But you see UK and Bhaalspawn:
IN THE END, WSU is not recognizable outside of the state and is only border line "average" in the state. AND it ranks LOW on the research institutions nationally. PLEASE! It ranks really low on research nationally. Stop listening to TV commercials or tenured WSU faculty who have to pumped themselves up 'cause they are stuck at WSU (and many secretly admit they dream to "get out."

FOR an UNDERGRAD? it's programs ARE RANKED Tier 3-4! That is a waste of good money.

And UK? You seem very smart. I would consider a nationally recognized university for a PHd (WSU is not). I've seen that WSU PHd's don't get hired at any decent Universities (trust me, I'm on the inside and have seen it! Michigan State wouldn't even take a WSU PHd. for tenure track). If you want a good job after your PHd? WSU isn't going to get you a tenure track position ANYWHERE you want to be.
What if WSU is where I want to be?

I'm at an internationally recognized university, it's a joke. Once I'm through with my master's, I likely will go to WSU for a doctorate. I don't want to be a professor, I want a chance to be more involved in the local community. I want to study and to learn for the sake of doing so. I'm not wanting a tenure track position at any university. I'll probably keep the job I'm about to move into. If you truly want a chance to explore your field, WSU isn't a bad school. If you want something fancy to put on paper, maybe Stanford will be right for you. Can't say much for what you'd actually learn there though.

I make plenty of money now, a job is not a problem.

"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Really, I want to go to WSU because I love Detroit. If Oakland had a doctoral program in urban studies, economics, or geography, I'd also consider it, but it doesn't.

If I do spend another 3 years at a school that isn't in Detroit, it'll definitely be on the lakes, at least. My other options are the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Cleveland State University.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 32,089 times
Hmmm. Well, one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

It's still a 4th tier University:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...yne-state-2329

I would choose University of Wisconsin if you need to be near a Great Lake (Or even Case Western Reserve.)[/quote]
Quote:
What if WSU is where I want to be?

"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Really, I want to go to WSU because I love Detroit. If Oakland had a doctoral program in urban studies, economics, or geography, I'd also consider it, but it doesn't.

If I do spend another 3 years at a school that isn't in Detroit, it'll definitely be on the lakes, at least. My other options are the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Cleveland State University.

Last edited by latsar; 04-29-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Y'know what I say? Take all the rankings you want and use them however you please. Half the time they mean jack-**** when you're actually looking for an education.

At the University of Kentucky, half of my professors don't even speak PASSABLE English, at least at WSU you can understand what's being written on the board, and it's not in Chinese

Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
I would never recommend Wayne State University to any friend or family. The amount of “reverse racism” I received on that campus was atrocious.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Your experience must be an exception, I've never had that problem :S

Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,207 times
Latsar, I agree that Wayne State has a low profile outside the state of Michigan and that it isn't regarded as a major research university nor a university to be taken seriously on a national scale.

UKUK, I hope that you will seriously investigate the value of obtaining a graduate degree. I don't know much about the specific field that you are interested in, but graduate and professional degrees no longer have the kind of economic and employment value they had decades ago and PhD's, JDs, and MBAs are a penny-a-dozen today (relative to the number of jobs in their fields that are available for them). You could find yourself buried under a mountain of debt while also being unemployable in other fields as a result of your being "overqualified" for any other jobs along with employers' perceptions that you are too ambitious and intellectual and hoping for a big payout one day.

I also agree with what Latsar implied about the importance of going to a highly respected school in the field. As a general rule, I would say that if you cannot gain admission to one of the top twenty programs in the field, then save your money and your future and don't go.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 AM

24 posts, read 106,349 times
Wayne State University is a National Doctoral I Research institution and one of only 3 in the state of Michigan, which shares the same category as Harvard and Stanford.

Also, Wayne State University is a 2nd Tier National University according to US News, which is just one ranking by one magainze.

Carnegie Categories:
Tier 1: RU/VH: Research Universities (very high research activity):
Michigan State University
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Wayne State University
Tier 2: RU/H: Research Universities (high research activity):
Michigan Technological University
Western Michigan University
Tier 3: Master's L: Master's Colleges and Universities (larger programs):
Eastern Michigan University
Grand Valley State University
Northern Michigan University
Saginaw Valley State University
University of Michigan-Dearborn
Tier 4: DRU: Doctoral/Research Universities:
Central Michigan University
Oakland University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or