U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 150,268 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Toronto and have been considering going to Wayne State University since my 2 visits to Detroit. I live in Toronto and love cities. My dad lived in downtown Detroit for a couple years in the '80s and I think the same things that interested him about the city, interest me. When I was in Detroit, I stayed in Highland Park and visited all over the city. I've seen the ghetto and it doesn't repulse me like some suburbanites, but it excites me. I don't want to hear comments bashing Detroit.

What I am interested in knowing is what Wayne State University's reputation is like. I have graduated from high school with an 83% average and will be doing a 5th year of high school to pick up some extra courses and whatnot. I have been accepted to University of Toronto, York University and McMaster, if any of you know of them. Is it difficult to get into WSU? In university, I would likely be taking Arts/Humanities courses or possibly Social Work. Does Wayne State have a good reputation in those areas? It seems to me that Detroit would be an ideal place to study social work because there are so many problems within the city but there are also a lot of people doing good work and working hard to improve the conditions within the city such as the Capuchin Food Banks.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM

866 posts, read 3,877,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dot.o View Post
Hi, I am from Toronto and have been considering going to Wayne State University since my 2 visits to Detroit. I live in Toronto and love cities. My dad lived in downtown Detroit for a couple years in the '80s and I think the same things that interested him about the city, interest me. When I was in Detroit, I stayed in Highland Park and visited all over the city. I've seen the ghetto and it doesn't repulse me like some suburbanites, but it excites me. I don't want to hear comments bashing Detroit.

What I am interested in knowing is what Wayne State University's reputation is like. I have graduated from high school with an 83% average and will be doing a 5th year of high school to pick up some extra courses and whatnot. I have been accepted to University of Toronto, York University and McMaster, if any of you know of them. Is it difficult to get into WSU? In university, I would likely be taking Arts/Humanities courses or possibly Social Work. Does Wayne State have a good reputation in those areas? It seems to me that Detroit would be an ideal place to study social work because there are so many problems within the city but there are also a lot of people doing good work and working hard to improve the conditions within the city such as the Capuchin Food Banks.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time!
WSU is a good school that you could most likely get into with the information that you have provided. I would not worry about the city's problems the college has nothing to do with that at all. People go to WSU from all over the place, the city, the suburbs, out of state, and I have even known some out of the country. Like I have said it is a good school where you can get a good degree. Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
WSU is a good school that you could most likely get into with the information that you have provided. I would not worry about the city's problems the college has nothing to do with that at all. People go to WSU from all over the place, the city, the suburbs, out of state, and I have even known some out of the country. Like I have said it is a good school where you can get a good degree. Good Luck!
Thanks! I really appreciate your input and I think I'm going to go to a tour of the school this summer. My dad wants to go to the jazz festival.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Anyone else? Thanks

Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,139,701 times
Another option is to attend the University of Windsor. It would be cheaper for a Canadian than WSU, no? THEN, if you are a student at Windsor, I believe you can attend WSU classes while enrolled at Windsor while paying tuition to the latter. They have (had?) a reciprocal agreement where students from one school could attend the other while paying tuition and fees to their home institution. If you do an internet search, I'm sure you can find more details.

P.S. I do agree with your plan to attend an urban school if you want to study urban issues. If you do well, you can have your pick of graduate schools if you want to continue on with your studies. Where you get your undergraduate degree doesn't matter so much, but you should generally try to attend a top university for graduate school - U of T, UBC, McGill, McMaster, etc.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Thank you very much Cato the Elder. Actually, WSU has an agreement where Canadian citizens of Ontario pay the same rate of tuition as Michigan residents. I was also thinking of attending U of T for graduate school if I decide to continue my education after an undergraduate degree. Once again, I really appreciate your input!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,139,701 times
I had no idea that WSU's agreement extended that far. When I worked at WSU, I was told that there was a special arrangement with the University of Windsor. Perhaps this has been superceded by the agreement you mentioned or there's something slightly different for Windsor students? Regardless, it sounds like you have a great plan. WSU followed by U of T would round you out quite well. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate your knowledge and support!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,791 times
One of the problems with Wayne State is that when a college degree is considered by employers as a proxy for IQ, it can't stand up against the likes of Michigan State (which itself can't stand up against U of M) and the University of Michigan. Should you go to Wayne State? That depends on what other schools you can get into, your finances, your living situation, your goals, and what you want to major in.

However, as far as overall "reputation" goes, Wayne State's reputation isn't all that great, and I say that as a Wayne State alum--one of those guys who attended on the four year, full-tuition, merit scholarship. As a proxy for your IQ, you might as well have graduated from Podunk U., especially if the people contemplating the value of your degree are outside of Michigan and have never heard of Wayne State.

That having been said, if you graduate from Wayne State with a 3.8 GPA and you want to advance to graduate school or professional school and you do well on the standardized exams, your having graduated from Wayne State probably won't hold you back too much, but it's not going to help you when an admissions officer is trying to decide between you and the guy who graduated from Harvard with a 3.5. On the other hand, if you would have graduated from U of M with a 2.8, then your Wayne State 3.8 (earned against much lesser competition in less rigorous and challenging classes) might work to your advantage.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my disparaging remarks; I'm just trying to tell it like it is, as I see it.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or