U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:56 PM

301 posts, read 1,212,150 times

Advertisements

I saw a few posts where people trash it. What's the the problem with Inkster?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 AM

695 posts, read 3,159,544 times
It is not a nice place. The lines of the city are very obvious. You can be north of Cherry Hill in Garden City or Dearborn Heights and it's fine, but the city of Inkster is very run down, and pretty dangerous. It's very much like bad parts of Detroit or Flint or any other major city, but it is a small suburb. I'm not sure why or how it got this way, but it has been a bad place for a looooong time. It is poor, largely African-American (conflicting with all of its bordering cities which are largely white). It has been largely black for a very long time also (Malcolm X lived here in the 50s). Crime is pretty steady. I can't think of many times I go to Inkster for anything, and I live a mile north of its borders. I WAS there today, but on Cherry Hill at a car wash. I have passed through the city to get other places countless times in my life, and it's pretty nasty pretty much in its entirety (if anything, I'd say the neighborhood along Cherry Hill east of John Daly is the best in the city...though I know two people who live here and it's not great...streets like Joel Ct, Shadowlawn, Biltmore). Go to Youtube and punch in Inkster and you'll find a lot of "cruising" videos of people riding around Inkster. Read the comments too.

The city draws its borders at Cherry Hill Road to the north bordering Garden City and Dearborn Heights, Henry Ruff Road to the west bordering Westland, Annapolis Avenue to the south, bordering Dearborn Heights and Westland, and Beech Daly to the east, bordering Dearborn Heights and Dearborn.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 AM

194 posts, read 889,340 times
Agreed. Inkster is on the same level as Ecorse and most of Detroit.

Most of Dearborn Heights is very safe with the very seldom break-in in the southern most part. Cherry Hill is a great street with many side streets that come off of it which are filled with well-taken care of homes. Although even Dearborn – though known for it's no-nonsense police force – seems to have some degree of crime on the increase.. Most notably the unfortunate carjacking at Oakwood hospital.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 AM

I'd rather be in Ecorse 1,000 times over than Inkster. At least it has a riverfront park and some nice homes near Wyandotte. Inkster is plain ghetto.

Dearborn is a city on the decline. There's a lot more crime, but it's nowhere near Inkster and the areas near Inkster are pretty nice.

The bad part of the south end of Dearborn Heights is west of Telegraph near Beech Daly (once it starts again south of Michigan Ave that is) and the area bordering Inkster there. The rest of the south end is just working class.

There is always a lot of police, particularly Heights police, on Cherry Hill due to the speed limitations. Cherry Hill is 25 from its start at S. Brady Street in Dearborn, turns to 35 from Gulley Road to Inkster Road, and is 40 through Garden City, Westland.....

Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM

181 posts, read 546,893 times
Ugh. What a terrible place. If money is an issue, you can find very cheap places to live near there that are way, way better.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 AM

52 posts, read 248,370 times
I'm not saying Ecorse is a nice place but I think it gets kind of a bad rap. Its located in between a railyard and a steel mill and is mainly comprised of the working poor. It can be described as an honest, hard-working town that has seen better days.

Inkster, on the other hand, sucks. It was originally a ghetto for Henry Ford's black workers who weren't allowed to live where everybody else lived (to answer cardwellave's question of how it get that way); it was never a nice place. Today its a place where living the 'hood life' is embraced and there are gangs that roam the streets believe it or not. Its like Brightmoor South. And no, I'm not like this Johnson character who tells people how much of a hole Detroit is in every single one of his posts; i'm capable of being honest and rational.

Last edited by illmatic774; 08-03-2008 at 03:05 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 AM

225 posts, read 749,964 times
What evidence do you have that Inkster was a "ghetto" when Henry Ford established it? Just because he may have been a segregationist, does it mean that he built Inkster as a ghetto? Show me how black Ford workers in the 20's and 30's lived in an Inkster that was built by Ford as a ghetto.

Quote:
The city draws its borders at Cherry Hill Road to the north bordering Garden City and Dearborn Heights, Henry Ruff Road to the west bordering Westland, Annapolis Avenue to the south, bordering Dearborn Heights and Westland, and Beech Daly to the east, bordering Dearborn Heights and Dearborn.
Inkster does not share a border with Dearborn.

Last edited by Nearborn; 08-03-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Nearborn, I have been told more than once that both Ecorse and Inkster (or Nankin Towship as it was called before 1968) were developed by Henry Ford to house the black folks who worked at his GIGANTIC Rouge Plant in Dearborn.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 PM

Nankin Township covered a much larger area. Much of what was Nankin Township is now Westland. And it's true, Inkster was built by Henry Ford for his african-american employees.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post

Inkster does not share a border with Dearborn.
Oh right. But it almost does. The strip of the Heights there was annexed just as Inkster wished to keep it when they were incorporating, but Heights got the papers to the capitol first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit