U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 12,904 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a church (Detroit/Downriver/Dearborn) for my son and I to attend. I was raised Catholic however I haven't practiced in years and now that I'm grown I'm ready begin my journey back into church. I'm looking for a good non-denominational/Christian church. I'm looking for something not quite as mundane as Catholic service, I wouldn't mind some singing and clapping and a service leader that can transform the gospel into his own words, something that the congregation can actually relate to, speaking in tounges would be taking it a little too far for me. All I know of church service is the traditional Catholic mass so I don't want to attend somewhere that I might find, well frankly, a little scary! My son is not quite 2 1/2 so a Sunday school program (handled by trust-worthy, mature adults) that runs along with service would be great. A culturally diverse congregation would be a plus too! Any suggestions would be considered, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,798,809 times
You would be welcome at Grace Episcopal Church on Reeck Rd. in Southgate. We usually attend the 8:00 service as we go before DH goes to work, but they do have a Sunday school at the 10:00 service. In fact, this Sunday is the monthly children's service and all the children are invited to attend the "big" church. The literguy, communion, etc. is geared to their level. Best of luck to you in your search.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,158,418 times
Grace Community Church may be what you are looking for - very diverse population to worship with (all ages/colors/economic groups go there: It's in Detroit, but borders on the Grosse Pointes/Harper Woods; you also get people from the inner suburbs as well)- very seeker friendly - active in the community (church is located on Moross Rd and I-94 in Detroit) - good music ministry....very welcoming. Website has past sermons on there - they focus on trying to make faith relevant to people's lives. Services are at 9:00 am/11:30am. In between, they do a service just for kids and their parents called "Kidzstuff" at 10am.

I'd still be going there, but we moved to the northern 'burbs a little while back and it's just way too far to drive @ $4/gal.

Good luck in your search. Church shopping is always a challenge.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 PM

58 posts, read 228,732 times
I've done a lot of church shopping myself, so here are a couple of links to churches in your area.

www.gracebiblesouthgate.org (http://www.gracebiblesouthgate.org/default.asp - broken link)

www.metrosouthchurch.com

I just started going to a non-denominational church in Livonia. I struggled with the fact that it was held at a high school for a long time, but, now, I realize the place doesn't matter...as long as it is a great Bible-based church!

http://www.bellcreek.org

I wish I could be more help, I have a few more links to churches, but they are in the Livonia area.

You could try this locator:
www.churchangel.com/michigan.htm

The thing that can be tricky with non-denominational churches is that some have pentecostal beliefs, & some don't. If you can read their statement of faith, what they believe, usually it will be listed under the "Holy Spirit" section. Most I have seen say something like believers are baptised by the Holy spirit after salvation with the evidence of speaking in tongues...

Feel free to PM if you have any questions....I was raised Catholic, but have been a Bible-believing Christian for 12 years now. I've done a lot of reading & research into various Christian denominations/churches. I started out going to a Pentecostal Church of God, then, Assemblies of God, onto independent baptist, to now!

Good luck on your search!!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 AM

225 posts, read 750,016 times
Quote:
Most I have seen say something like believers are baptised by the Holy spirit after salvation with the evidence of speaking in tongues...
Whoa! And I thought the Catholic church had a lot of rules!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM

58 posts, read 228,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Whoa! And I thought the Catholic church had a lot of rules!
Exactly! That's why I stick with just the essentials of historic Christian faith...there are no "rules", just plain facts from the Bible. You can read more here:

www.equip.org

I hope you find a church you are happy with. Also, you can call the above ministry, & they can help you find a local church. They are not affiliated with any particular denomination, but are very knowledgeable.

HTH!!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
Default Recommended Church

Try contacting Kensington Community Church in Troy, MI for recommended churches in your area. They have a lot of contacts with inter-denominational Christian churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit