U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 PM

214 posts, read 997,107 times

Advertisements

Johnson what you said was right man thats how it is here. I lived on vinewood by detroit city high I left 3 months ago. I didnt care what happened to my house it would never sell and I couldn`t deal with the all problems there so I just left and haven`t looked back but I can back up what you said its true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks dre it is true detroit really is a messed up place not a lot of people know that. They think its bad but they dont know how devasted it really is.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
johnson7, you have popped up all of a sudden these past few weeks or months, stating again and again and again and again how bad the city of Detroit is. If you are not going to move back here and help solve the problems, why do you keep going on and on and on and on about them? It doesn't make any sense. Just enjoy life in whatever place you live in now.

Why keep talking about the problems if you are not going to do anything about them. It doesn't make ANY SENSE!

Not to be boastful, but I am doing something about the problems. I tutor high school students in math 2 days a week FOR FREE. I am actively involved in collecting signatures to recall the mayor. I board up houses in my neighborhood and other 'hoods FOR FREE. I have spent a lot of money on my house to beautify it, and have made it one of the prettiest on my block. I pay my city taxes and water bill on time. I'm just trying to improve these 140 square miles. All you complainers....what's the point.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Your right usroute10 I have been negative most of the time but why shouldn`t I all the garbage I had to deal with there shootings, drugs, car thefts, gangs,theives,etc. Detroit isn`t some great city its detroit grimy, dangerous, declining. I think what you do is great keep doing what you do. Nobody wants help or it would have changed a few people might but not everyone even I was one of them. I had to leave I couldn`t stay nomore it doesnt make me a bad person I just do whats best for me.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,168 times
Detroit really started to get bad after the 12th Street Riots in 1967. Afterwards "white flight" was stepped up , and now south of 8 Mile Rd. is predominately black. The city council and mayor are extremely corrupt, just check the latest news on Kwame & Co.
The older generations of the suburbs remember Detroit being a very beautiful and well kept city, not anymore. The crime is atrocious and most homes and buildings are vacant and crumbling. Detroit has such great architecture and if the city council would get off their lazy black behinds and take some pride in the city things could really change. The last mayor Dennis Archer did alot to help bridge the gap between the suburbs and the city, but that has been eroding again under Kwame Kilpatrick.
The governor needs to step in, make the metropolitan area part of city government, sack Kwame, help cordone off certain areas of Detroit and revitalize the inner city.
The property taxes in MI are astronomical. Someone can purchase a house for less then $5,000 in Detroit and pay more then that a year in property tax! On top of all that the majority black population keeps electing other corrupt blacks into power and things keep getting worse.
We need the white majority of the electorate of the suburbs to get any type of true change!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,093 times
Now that we pay a 300 dollar yearly bulk trash pick-up fee on top of our taxes you
would think the poor neighborhoods would look better in the City of Detroit proper.
The mayor wants to help his select areas too much with the policing, and services.
We lose again. I can not remember a city as filthy as this one in all my travels and if
the bosses would make the employees do their jobs we would have improvement. It is the attitude and arrogance of so many with the city that hurts the people and the
city image.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM

85 posts, read 252,698 times
Well, I hope there is some bright future sooner than later --- I will say we moved from Toronto as my husband will be opening a plant in downtown detroit.....some new jobs and new future

Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 PM

522 posts, read 1,188,558 times
I don't think Detroit has much hope until the city government is removed and replaced by intelligent, honest, hard-working people. Starting with the thug Mayor and trashy Monica Conyers.

Fire Kwame!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,301,791 times
It's hard to think of another large city in the U.S. that would be worse than Detroit. (Not talking about the suburbs, just the city itself.) Can anyone even name some candidates? To qualify, the city needs to have a professional sports team in one of the four major sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL). There are certainly cities that have bad parts that would rival Detroit, but what about when cities are judged as a whole (excluding the suburbs)?

Buffalo? Milwaukee? Miami? LA? Washington D.C. (has some nice upper middle class enclaves)? Cleveland? Philadelphia? St. Louis? Kansas City?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 AM

4,170 posts, read 5,532,099 times
No way Jose. Detroit is one of the GREATEST areas I've ever been to, let alone lived in. The big blue water Provides EXCELLENT recreation. The locals are wonderful to hang with. I lived in Shelby Township which was a super nice neighborhood. Working in Troy was ok as that area seems fine.

I just don't get it - why do outsiders consider Detroit to be so bad? Sure there is going to be areas in any LARGE CITY that need to be avoided.

There is MUCH MORE to it there, so much more. I just believe that Detroit gets a raw deal every time this type of subject is approached.

If you don't live here, you'll have NO CLUE. Sorry Charlie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or