U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 AM

54 posts, read 117,894 times

Advertisements

I don't think I will ever be able to relate to the mindset of the people in the Detroit Metro area. It is blatantly obvious to me that I do not fit in here. Warm,friendly and outgoing is just not a part of their makeup. It doesn't seem to matter if the contact is a professional phone call, a grocery store cashier, Home Depot sales assoc., church usher, a waitress, physician or museum curator, in 98% of the cases the person will be cold, distant, rude, unprofessional and just plain heartless. After all I would say a heart is required in order to be a caring involved human being. When all you really care about is yourself, then what you essentially end up with is the segregated, leery, crude and depressingly sad Detroit Area. I can't believe the pictures posted by beck952 of inner city decay. I guess it's obvious I want out, ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
People in this area are more closed and suspicious than people in the west. However people here are more real. Here they are hard to get to know. unlikely to invite you to their home or an event, but if you are cold, they will give you their shirt. I am amazed at what people who do not even know us have done for us since we moved here. It is truly incredible. Also,people here are more real. Once you break through the barriers, the friendships are real and lasting.

IN the west, people are superficially friendly, but it is all ont he surface. Many many people are trying to get something from you. Others just see you as a friend for the moment. Not as much true loyalty. Even your friends are not the likley to inconvenience themselves to help you out. It is a very different atmosphere. If you want superficially friendly instead, go west.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:54 AM

54 posts, read 117,894 times
I'm pretty sure that my post did not imply that I was looking for "superficial friendliness" but somehow I am not at all surprised that you perceived it that way. It sounds as if you found exactly what you were looking for here, people who treat you like poop but are willing to give you a shirt just so that they don't have to hear you philosphizing about how the rest of world expects you to behave like an adult and buy your own shirt. So happy you found your definition of true friendship and loyalty here in the big D. For the most part I've tried to take my mother's advice to keep it nice, so I promise not to make it a habit to discuss my feelings about the inhabitants of this area, after all there have always been and will always be people who would rather die of a disease before they look for the cure. So you suggest the west huh? O.K. I'll look into a little more thanks.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,227,296 times
Very True..Alot of people in the West dont value true friendships.I've seen this in my experience.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:01 PM

433 posts, read 2,200,241 times
You won't see any significant changes until the welfare checks stop arriving. Detroit is what's left after all the people who work and try to do the right thing in a city pack it up and leave.

It is self-segregation via values. Criminal, lazy underclass vs working folks of all colors and classes who vote with their feet.

The state of Michigan should let Detroit die. Only then can a real rebirth take place. Cut off the money. Cut off the welfare checks. And save the rest of Michigan from this social cancer.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,300,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
You won't see any significant changes until the welfare checks stop arriving. Detroit is what's left after all the people who work and try to do the right thing in a city pack it up and leave.

It is self-segregation via values. Criminal, lazy underclass vs working folks of all colors and classes who vote with their feet.

The state of Michigan should let Detroit die. Only then can a real rebirth take place. Cut off the money. Cut off the welfare checks. And save the rest of Michigan from this social cancer.
What are you proposing that we do with all of these impoverished Americans who are members of a third world underclass? Bus them to other cities outside of Michigan (not such a bad idea)? Send them to a gas chamber? Encourage them to consider "voluntary" "euthanasia"?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,588 times
Im not sure if you live in the city, but downtown is pretty safe now. Not like about ten or fifteen years ago when i was scared to walk around down there. Theres so many cops you would have to be an idiot to mess around down there.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 11,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post

Well what about all the working professionals, and retirees that are still there? The problem is that you people run away from problems instead of getting involved to help change the situation.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Luqmeek - You make such a great point, even if it is quite idealistic. If all the "people who work and try to do the right thing" hadn't packed up and left, Detroit wouldn't be THAT bad. The big question is why so many "people who work and try to do the right thing" left and didn't fight to stop the decline in their communities and solve the problems, instead of just bailing?

Why did the "working folks of all colors and classes who vote with their feet" give the city over to the "criminal, lazy underclass" without a fight. What does that say about the "working folks of all colors and classes"?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM

214 posts, read 996,995 times
Default leave dont fight

What do you propose people to do? Call the police that dont show up or go up to these people and say stop.That is suicide. I knew better then to get in their way and snitch. This whole thing of staying and helping fix the city is bull. Drug dealers and criminals dont care about anything or anyone and will hurt maybe even kill you for getting in their business. Its not worth fighting over a city that doesnt fight for you.

Last edited by dre71; 09-14-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: messed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or