U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM

282 posts, read 1,082,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Using the "too many blacks in the city" theory like the above poster suggests is a scapegoat. That's taking the easy way out. Dig deep down and find the root of the problem.

It starts by the local politics probably. Start creating tax incentives to bring new companies to the city. Much like what Oklahoma City is doing. Same with my hometown in Iowa. Much of the midwest's economy is still doing well, even in these trying economic times. It starts by encouraging companies to move in, not taxing them to death.
It isn't a scapegoat. Read YOUR 1st sentence in the 2nd paragraph. It is a fact and you can ignore it all you want but since the blacks got the power Detoilet went from the 4th largest city in the country to a no show. You are in Iowa. I'll invite you to stay here for a while and I'll use the "old" motto for the city: Detroit where the weak are killed and eaten. This city would devour you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM

502 posts, read 1,281,538 times
Hmm. Despite all the bad things that I've heard of about Detroit.. The worst city in the world? I don't think so. I've seen far worse.

Hopefully, Detroit can turn itself around. It needs a strong community to help it stand up against the violence and corruption.

Last edited by Unknown Memory; 09-15-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM

364 posts, read 794,724 times
Detroit worst city in the world? Yeah, ok, tell yourself that. Detroit is loaded with problems, but it is not even the "worst city" in this great country, let alone this world.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM

214 posts, read 996,995 times
I think detroit is the worst city in the U.S. and industrialized nations. Look at the level of decay no city can match that. Some close like gary, camden, etc. but still aren`t as bad. There are people trying to help but it wont really have much of an impact cause most detroiters just dont care. I remember the council banning all charities from the city if at least 50% of the people in charities live in detroit. Thats a slap in the face. People living in detroit just dont care about detroit. If they did it wouldnt look like this.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM

60,407 posts, read 85,462,157 times
I think the decline of the auto industry has a lot to do with it, but the potential is still there. People need to let down these pluralistic guards though, if you know what I mean.

Also, I do think the Black thing is a scapegoat because the population of Detroit was declining before that. Meaning when Blacks started getting "into power", per se. I believe the population hit a peak in 1950, but with the growth of suburbs and steady decline of the auto industry, along with other things, it quickened an exodus out of the city.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 AM

69 posts, read 273,392 times
Detroit is not the worst city in America. One trip to Memphis, Newark, Germantown, and so on will easily cure you of that thought. The outskirts of Detroit like Canton, Southfield, Troy, can be very nice without a doubt and im positive there's a lot more, I used to frequent the D-town area quite often and never was too concerned unless going directly downtown between 6-8 mile and putting up with the detours directing you into the rough stuff, but eh, its inevitable to have that. Im not saying its a great place to raise kids, but by no means is it the worst city. Go Red Wings

Last edited by sehnsucht5150; 09-17-2008 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,223,672 times
If you think Detroit is the worst, you haven't been to El Paso and you certainly have not been to any developing countries. Detroit has problems, but it also has world class museums, opera, symphony, performance venues, sporting venues, and a pretty wealthy suburban population...

Quote:
It is self-segregation via values. Criminal, lazy underclass vs working folks of all colors and classes who vote with their feet.
God, this is that old school conservative mindset. People like this have no clue what the underclass faces everyday. I worked with guys who slept on their sidewalks for 280 straight nights to shut down the open air drug market just so kids could leave their homes. Guns held to their heads, bullets flying past.

They fought with the city for years just to get a single dump truck so the residents could clean up massive piles of trash and build a little park with a tree.

They fought for years just to get an industry to water its slag piles so the toxic dust would stop blowing through.

None of this was in Detroit. But people who suggest "lazy" and "criminal" are clearly just ignorant of the overwhelming hurdles that face the impoverished. I grew up with people who had life on a silver platter and then patted themselves on the back for making it. Wow, great job. Try doing that with toxic chemicals pouring into your home and a fear of walking out your front door.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 PM

5,416 posts, read 9,525,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht5150 View Post
Detroit is not the worst city in America. One trip to Memphis, Newark, Germantown, and so on will easily cure you of that thought. The outskirts of Detroit like Canton, Southfield, Troy, can be very nice without a doubt and im positive there's a lot more, I used to frequent the D-town area quite often and never was too concerned unless going directly downtown between 6-8 mile and putting up with the detours directing you into the rough stuff, but eh, its inevitable to have that. Im not saying its a great place to raise kids, but by no means is it the worst city. Go Red Wings
Detroit's city population has declined by 1 million people since 1950. One million people--and it continues to decline. Memphis? Newark? Memphis is a sun belt city that has some major crime problems, but it's nowhere NEAR the level of Detroit's decay and urban blight. Newark isn't either--again, crime is bad--but decay is nowhere near Detroit's.
Detroit is the worst large city in the US by far in terms of blight and disrepair.
Baghdad is probably worst in the world...

Old 09-17-2008, 03:22 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
It depends on where you are. Downtown Detroit is considerably nicer than many downtowns in the US. I would live downtown if I did not have children. However the surrounding area is solid decaying blight with a few pockets of nice. If you just compare downtowns, Detroit will rank very well. If you consider the entire urban area (but not suburbs) Detroit is horrid. Add the suburbs in and you are back to one of the better cities. I cannot think of any other city with as many terrific suburbs as Detroit has.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM

364 posts, read 794,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends on where you are. Downtown Detroit is considerably nicer than many downtowns in the US. I would live downtown if I did not have children. However the surrounding area is solid decaying blight with a few pockets of nice. If you just compare downtowns, Detroit will rank very well. If you consider the entire urban area (but not suburbs) Detroit is horrid. Add the suburbs in and you are back to one of the better cities. I cannot think of any other city with as many terrific suburbs as Detroit has.
Thats a great post, I agree 100%. It is actually a pretty well-known sentiment that many of Detroits suburbs are among the nicest in the country, but the rep that Detroit has of being such a bad city will easily overshadow that (people love to dwell on the negatives). And yes, Detroits downtown is very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or