U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I would say tell it to the Big Three! They've had the same stranglehold on Detroit for a century now, and the current mayor is a good buddy of the one who was just drummed out in disgrace.

Where did you get this information?

Only GM is located in Detroit. Ford is in Dearborn, Chrysler is in Auburn Hills. GM does not really get involved in City politics. They pretty much stick to themselves. Penske probably has more impact on and influence in the City of Deteroit than the Big 3.

The current mayor and Kwame are not buddies and never have been. They never got along. They are political enemies. They are almost exact opposites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM

9 posts, read 18,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I agree w/On-da-Beach - I live in one of the Northern suburbs and the major difference I see is that the 'burbs have hope, soul and a sense of pride in their neighborhoods....going through the city - you don't see that.

It's hard for the city to sell people on living downtown or in Detroit proper because nearly all of your major employers are in the 'burbs as well as the grocery stores/shopping.

It takes a person who wants to open a store in the city 7 years to get a permit. (The city isn't known for having an efficient bureaucracy) It takes maybe 2-3 years in the 'burbs. Where is the person going to open a store? Where are the people going to live? Close to work and a grocery store.

Most of the people who are professionals and live in Detroit, live there because they want to be there - they want to be a part of building the next Detroit. However - that type of person is few and far between. Even people who move there for that specific purpose end up moving out because they don't want to put up with the crime and schools after a certain point.

The major problem in this area is color. There are more people interested in assigning blame than actually solving problems. I have never been more race-conscience than I have been living in this particular city. A LOT of people emjoy reliving the past every chance they get. There are plenty of suburbanites who would love to help the city, but have washed their hands of that idea because they've been told one too many times that our help isn't needed or wanted. So, they volunteer and give their money to other communities where the help is welcome.

There are nice areas, but we wonder how long New Center and the others will stay that way. Sad, but true.
Snoopygirlmi, what do you mean by 7 years to get a permit?
Can you give me a little more details about this or perhaps a link?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM

22 posts, read 224,463 times
Default "Dirty old town"

There's a song called "dirty old town", I like the song and Detroit comes to mind when I hear it. Not likely you would hear it in the states, it's a U.K. area song by Shane McGowan. There's weird sense of history when you walk through those beat up, forgotten areas of Detroit. Once a thriving city, now doomed to the weather and desertion. It would be a wast of money to try to restore that poor old city, it's better as an old tombstone. I'm sure some will disagree...oh well.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 12,021 times
Detroit Just aint safe if your not from there its even more un-safe and thats anywhere you go in Detroit its been like that for the past 30 years and looks like its gonna be at least another 30 look at the mayor even he is a criminal..... i wish the best for that city.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty 1 Third View Post
Detroit Just aint safe if your not from there its even more un-safe and thats anywhere you go in Detroit its been like that for the past 30 years and looks like its gonna be at least another 30 look at the mayor even he is a criminal..... i wish the best for that city.
Anwhere you go? No place is safe?

Have you ever been to Detroit?

Downtown is nothing like it was 30 years ago.

The mayor is not a criminal. He is a decent guy. The former mayor went to jial, perhaps that is who you mean.

This is 2009.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,767,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
DETROIT: WORSE CITY IN AMERICA?
I'm sure these have been done before...sorry if its redundant.

Maybe it should follow the economic policies of successful, booming towns like Houston, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, Chicago, etc.

Quite possibly YES...THough it has been a few years since I was in CAMDEN NJ....

Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM

51,874 posts, read 47,699,456 times
This might sound odd from someone who has never been to Michigan, but I have a question? Do you really believe that Detroit is a lost cause? I don't. I think Detroit has alot of work to be done to solve its problems.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM

206 posts, read 393,793 times
I think most of us that grew up here, get what Detroit is all about.

I have lived other places in the U.S. and always came back here. Will never leave again. It's part of me.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,777 times
Let me start by stating that I'm not from Detroit. I'm from the Chicago area and lived in the actual city of Chicago for four years. I have been to downtown Detroit a couple of times and was impressed by the friendliness I encountered there.

I am also inspired by many things that people are doing right now to help the D move forward.

The Green Garage is an organization that aims to train people job skills in one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy--green technologies and sustainability-based goods and services.

There's the 23-year old Heidelberg Project, which involved the conversion of vacant homes on the East Side to vibrant, colorful works of art. This attracts about 275,000 visitors each year.

The extensive urban farming projects that have begun in the empty areas of the city that provide fresh food to residents with no nearby grocery stores.

Add to that, a recent trip abroad yielded positive thoughts regarding Detroit from an international viewpoint. Why? Techno and Motown. Culturally, the D is highly regarded.

So 3 cheers to everyone working against the odds to restore Detroit and bring new industries and a renewed sense of community there. And as I set my sights on exploring this great country looking for people with a sense of community, let me tell you all, I see it in Detroit more than anywhere else. It would be easy to go west and find solace amongst the hipsters of Portland, Seattle or San Francisco, but that would be the trendy thing to do. And succumbing to that kind of trendiness, like so many people I know have done or want to do, does not yield any lasting satisfaction. The people who are working to better their communities anywhere, but especially in Detroit, should be fully aware that their actions are being noticed and are a source of inspiration for this 28-year old Illinois man.

That right there, is enough in my mind to eliminate Detroit from ever being considered the worst city in the U.S.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,767,783 times
There's the 23-year old Heidelberg Project, which involved the conversion of vacant homes on the East Side to vibrant, colorful works of art. This attracts about 275,000 visitors each year.

Wasn't this bulldozed several years ago? Last time I drove Heidleberg there was 1 or 2 houses standing??

May be Tyree hit up a few more buildings since last year when I was there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or