U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM

97 posts, read 215,975 times

Advertisements

Detroit has hope, and I'll believe this by faith; that we can change and we will change; degradation will not do not to Detroit; just make it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 AM

282 posts, read 1,083,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R7d61 View Post
Agree 100% You can always count on meeting interesting people from all walks of life and having good long conversations on the street. Not so much in the burbs', & metro detroit areas.

The city has TONS of potential and if it weren't for me leaving state, i'd move to Detroit in heartbeat! It's so damn cool and fun.

It's a little dirty & grimy but that's what makes it so damn awsome! IMHO reminds me of NYC a little, just so damn fun and the "bad" is what makes it "good" to me.

Sure I don't technically "live" there(in Pontiac currently) but I work there and stayed down there 5 days a week for a month and came back to Pontiac on the weekends. I love Detroit and don't get why everyone has problems with it.

In my area good luck having complete strangers(rich, middle-class, poor, & homeless) striking up good in-depth conversations and being cool with you, no matter walk of life "you" may have come from.

I honestly never really went to Detroit until recently for work, and now I am mad because I have missed so much cool stuff it's not even funny. Once I leave state though I'll probably never come back to the mitten, but if I do, I'll be in Detroit and won't bother with any other cities in the state.

There's crime everywhere, don't matter if you're in the burbs, the country, or the city. You just gotta have good situational awarness and be good at reading peoples intentions and you'll be safe. Heck when I first started working in Detroit I didn't have a car and couldn't walk from Pontiac to Detroit everyday, so I slept outside for a week until I got paid! Never got robbed, stabbed, or shot and never once felt I was in any danger whatsoever. In fact a complete stranger allowed me to crash at his pad for my 2nd & 3rd week of work until I got some wheels! Would never have happend to me in Rochester, Birmingham or any other "sophisticated" & "caring/community driven" cities gaurenteed!

I think Detroit gets an unjustfied bad rap honestly. It's the coolest city in Michigan PERIOD!
You sir have a strange way of looking at things.You have good long conversations with ppl in Detoilet but not in the burbs? lol. You sure have a lot of time on your hands. I grew up here, you didn't. I remember when Detroit was great. We'd go downtown for Loks and Bagels at 1 a m. Drive thru the neighborhoods at 3 a m and buy a rack of ribs from someone cooking them in front of thier house. Hanging out on Plum street at the age of 14. No fear or concerns. QUOTE,
"The bad is what makes it good.Dirty and grimy is cool." Frankly, I'm glad you left, but why? Sounds like you could have stayed here and fixed up the city.
Potential means nothing without action. It's no more than a waste. I've slept outside of cities for weeks when I had to for a job offer and support my family here until I got set up and moved them. I'm not impressed. You seem to be unaware of the current stats published a few weeks ago about Detoilet being the the worst city in the COUNTRY let alone being the murder capitol of the COUNTRY for a few years. You are disalousional.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:17 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,812,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
You sir have a strange way of looking at things.You have good long conversations with ppl in Detoilet but not in the burbs? lol. You sure have a lot of time on your hands. I grew up here, you didn't. I remember when Detroit was great. We'd go downtown for Loks and Bagels at 1 a m. Drive thru the neighborhoods at 3 a m and buy a rack of ribs from someone cooking them in front of thier house. Hanging out on Plum street at the age of 14. No fear or concerns. QUOTE,
"The bad is what makes it good.Dirty and grimy is cool." Frankly, I'm glad you left, but why? Sounds like you could have stayed here and fixed up the city.
Potential means nothing without action. It's no more than a waste. I've slept outside of cities for weeks when I had to for a job offer and support my family here until I got set up and moved them. I'm not impressed. You seem to be unaware of the current stats published a few weeks ago about Detoilet being the the worst city in the COUNTRY let alone being the murder capitol of the COUNTRY for a few years. You are disalousional.
Remember when...Those were the days...

Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,811 times
Corrupt leadership and fiscal mismanagement are the key components in validating why the city of Detroit got into the mess that it is currently in. It was like the domino effect.
The Esquire Abby Phelps

Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,811 times
Default Clean Up the Mess Clean Up The Corruption....The Esquire Strikes Back Commentary

Detroit has indeed experienced it's apparent dark days of crisis events ranging a Felonious Mayor deeming himself as the "Motor City Sheik" wise as Solomon yet so ignorant to the fact that as to much when is given twice as musch will be required as well. Even more terse, what of the Congressman's wife who was as blind to the facts as all outdoors to believe that she could get paid and parleyed beaucoup bucks under the table courtesy of Cynagro without getting snagged...Bah humbug...... What of the instabilities of the DPS Leadership as it relates to the Superintendency of the district which has lead to nine misfortunes of the unchild centered kind. Understand from these persistent failures, name recognition doesn't mean anything, nephetism is not "kind" and certainly attempting to be a smooth criminal and rip off the innocently benevolent is most assuredly not the way to go...All things being considered we need to watch who we circumference our support with lest we be left paying the tally and suffer the persistent humiliation of having to face the truth that preconceived notions are often deceived motions of denegration far above and beyond our most acrid assumptions.
[mod]please read our terms of service[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 04-23-2010 at 01:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 03:04 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,766,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Esquire Abby View Post
Detroit has indeed experienced it's apparent dark days of crisis events ranging a Felonious Mayor deeming himself as the "Motor City Sheik" wise as Solomon yet so ignorant to the fact that as to much when is given twice as musch will be required as well. Even more terse, what of the Congressman's wife who was as blind to the facts as all outdoors to believe that she could get paid and parleyed beaucoup bucks under the table courtesy of Cynagro without getting snagged...Bah humbug...... What of the instabilities of the DPS Leadership as it relates to the Superintendency of the district which has lead to nine misfortunes of the unchild centered kind. Understand from these persistent failures, name recognition doesn't mean anything, nephetism is not "kind" and certainly attempting to be a smooth criminal and rip off the innocently benevolent is most assuredly not the way to go...All things being considered we need to watch who we circumference our support with lest we be left paying the tally and suffer the persistent humiliation of having to face the truth that preconceived notions are often deceived motions of denegration far above and beyond our most acrid assumptions.
Moderator cut: Please read our terms of service
You forgot these two guys. As the need to get them out with their corruption contributes and keeping the city how it is right now. Peter Karmanos (giving money and a job to Kwame, yup that guy who can't pay back the city of Detroit but can live in a mansion down in Texas) and Matty Moroun (This guy would rather let Detroit buildings and properties rot out instead of fixing them up)

Last edited by Yac; 04-23-2010 at 01:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,558,059 times
Detroit isn't as bad as you people make it out to be.

It's RIDICULOUS the bad rep the city gets for having bad neighborhoods to the likes of Louisville, northern Ohio, St. Louis, Illinois major metros, etc.

...and don't say Detroit is ALL bad. There are LOADS of people in good neighborhoods that still exist in great numbers! The media gives us a far worse image than we really have.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 AM

118 posts, read 408,783 times
Having been born in Detroit and raised in the suburbs there, I am happy that I left last month. In metro Detroit, I was laid off four times in 18 months due to lack of business activity. At the last job I suffered an abusive employer but was so desperate for income I endured it. Then I went over seven months with no job at all. Here, I found a job (actually had THREE job offers) in less than a week, a job where the business is constant, and steady, and the customers are not tight with their wallets. I'm in NYC BTW. I will never go back home, ever. Even though I miss my family, the sheer hatred I have for the area trumps it. I was miserable there- with everything- the weather, the "union mentality", the horrid economy, the urban and suburban blight and deterioration, empty storefronts. The ignorance and dullness of the people, their sheltered, clueless, and ignorant ways. The complete lack of true culture. The conformist mindset. I could go on and on. The area is toxic, radioactive, and will not improve. Why? Because of the people. They are sheep, and until they learn better, which is impossible for them, things will not change.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
The ignorance and dullness of the people, their sheltered, clueless, and ignorant ways. The complete lack of true culture. The conformist mindset. I could go on and on. The area is toxic, radioactive, and will not improve. Why? Because of the people. They are sheep, and until they learn better, which is impossible for them, things will not change.
I'm pretty sure this is why you didn't get along here.

The people of Detroit don't like Debby Downers, though we have way too many.

Also, not every ones' idea of a good time involves a Broadway show or some other dick-measuring contest of "cultural" activity.

Some people just like to fish, garden, drink, and have a good time.

I'm guessing you're pretty young though, and wouldn't know any better.

Also, Chicago-Style Pizza is better.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,894,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I used to have hope for Detroit. I thought the city had so much potential. But year after year, the historic landmarks of Detroit are being destroyed. Soon the city will be nothing but a large parking lot and a few civic buildings in between.
please tell me what historic landmarks you are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or