Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 PM

316 posts, read 1,176,975 times

Advertisements

A cop from Detroit saying the city is a dump, what an oxymoron, or irony of some kind.
Detroit is by far not the worst city in the world, or the US. The job situation needs to get better, and somehow an effort to bring in a more diverse range of people needs to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM

174 posts, read 373,232 times
Worst in the world? How about Baghdad, or check out Afghanistan. How many bombings have there been in Detroit in the past month - excluding demolitions.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,676,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I used to have hope for Detroit. I thought the city had so much potential. But year after year, the historic landmarks of Detroit are being destroyed. Soon the city will be nothing but a large parking lot and a few civic buildings in between.
I sure hope tyou're wrong about that. But I agree, far too many beautiful old buildings are being knocked down. And we've already lost the Belle Isle Aquarium. Remember the scare when Kwame was going to shut down the Detroit Zoo? What kind of reasoning was that? It's as if some of the city fathers were TRYING to tear everything apart.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM

37 posts, read 102,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
No way Jose. Detroit is one of the GREATEST areas I've ever been to, let alone lived in. The big blue water Provides EXCELLENT recreation. The locals are wonderful to hang with. I lived in Shelby Township which was a super nice neighborhood. Working in Troy was ok as that area seems fine.

I just don't get it - why do outsiders consider Detroit to be so bad? Sure there is going to be areas in any LARGE CITY that need to be avoided.

There is MUCH MORE to it there, so much more. I just believe that Detroit gets a raw deal every time this type of subject is approached.

If you don't live here, you'll have NO CLUE. Sorry Charlie...
Agree 100% You can always count on meeting interesting people from all walks of life and having good long conversations on the street. Not so much in the burbs', & metro detroit areas.

The city has TONS of potential and if it weren't for me leaving state, i'd move to Detroit in heartbeat! It's so damn cool and fun.

It's a little dirty & grimy but that's what makes it so damn awsome! IMHO reminds me of NYC a little, just so damn fun and the "bad" is what makes it "good" to me.

Sure I don't technically "live" there(in Pontiac currently) but I work there and stayed down there 5 days a week for a month and came back to Pontiac on the weekends. I love Detroit and don't get why everyone has problems with it.

In my area good luck having complete strangers(rich, middle-class, poor, & homeless) striking up good in-depth conversations and being cool with you, no matter walk of life "you" may have come from.

I honestly never really went to Detroit until recently for work, and now I am mad because I have missed so much cool stuff it's not even funny. Once I leave state though I'll probably never come back to the mitten, but if I do, I'll be in Detroit and won't bother with any other cities in the state.

There's crime everywhere, don't matter if you're in the burbs, the country, or the city. You just gotta have good situational awarness and be good at reading peoples intentions and you'll be safe. Heck when I first started working in Detroit I didn't have a car and couldn't walk from Pontiac to Detroit everyday, so I slept outside for a week until I got paid! Never got robbed, stabbed, or shot and never once felt I was in any danger whatsoever. In fact a complete stranger allowed me to crash at his pad for my 2nd & 3rd week of work until I got some wheels! Would never have happend to me in Rochester, Birmingham or any other "sophisticated" & "caring/community driven" cities gaurenteed!

I think Detroit gets an unjustfied bad rap honestly. It's the coolest city in Michigan PERIOD!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,810 times
detroit is by far the worst city in america and believe me i lived everywhere new york, los angeles, miami, atlanta, chicago and d.c. and detroit is one tough city i see so much pride from that city i think detroit has alot of hope but with all the crooked cops and political corruption the city only falls on its fate until the corruption stops the city of detroit will only get worse..........

Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 PM

deslok you obviously havent been around detroit is the worst city in america because its the most dangerous city proven by f.b.i. reports and i know by living there for 20 years but i hope i doesnt stay that way for much longer

Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty 1 Third View Post
deslok you obviously havent been around detroit is the worst city in america because its the most dangerous city proven by f.b.i. reports and i know by living there for 20 years but i hope i doesnt stay that way for much longer
I would like to see that list from the FBI actually. I know St. Louis topped Detroit for several years lately, as well as DC. Haven't seen the 2008 or 2009 numbers yet, so if you could post a link to that data it would be nice to see.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:56 PM

coldensens.......i lived on michigan ave/livernoise southwest detroit and then chalmers and east efferson in east detroit all over delray,brightmore,belle isle, indian village 6 mile 7 mile, southfield & schoolcraft, plymouth Rd., woodward, gratiot, east and west warren rd. west vernor all throughout outter drive, grand river, the boulevard (grand)...i went to chadsey highschool on martin right off michigan ave. so you gonna ask me if i ever even been there.....lol and yeah kwame killpatrick is who i was talking about and yeah he was a criminal he locked up detroits old mayor..........have you ever lived in detroit????im not talking about driving through it im talking about sleeping there not the suburbs but detroit i lived my whole life here from east to the west and i cant tell you how many friends i lost in shoot outs gang fights accidents robberys, you would have know idea how bad this city is unless you sleep here and dont plan on ust spending the night......

Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
I'm sure these have been done before...sorry if its redundant.

Maybe it should follow the economic policies of successful, booming towns like Houston, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, Chicago, etc.
Detroit was high while Autos were King just as Huston and Dallas are high while oil is up. I recall times when oil went bust and you couldn't give away real estate in Huston. Ask John Conolly

Old 10-18-2009, 01:04 PM

type in worst city in america 2009 i promise you detroit is passed st. louis and d.c. in violent crimes murder all of it it seems like detroit is only getting worse but i still got faith in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit