U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM

214 posts, read 997,442 times

Advertisements

You would be ok. Its dangerous to stop or walk around and stuff but driving and video taping is ok people do it alot just look at youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM

695 posts, read 3,161,074 times
I don't know if I'd get out of my car or anything....especially with the camera. Personally I'd do this in reverse from 7 Mile in Redford down the 10 miles or so to Van Dyke. And I'd follow Coplin (at the start of the directions) to Jefferson and then follow that over to Alter Rd again and show the border area of Grosse Pointe and then show Grosse Pointe. That is if you were documenting it. There is such a stark contrast.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 PM

381 posts, read 529,246 times
I visited Detriot at the beginning of 2007 for the Auto Show. It was my first time there. We stayed in a hotel out in the suburbs but spent the day at the Cobo and spent two evenings downtown at restaurants etc.

Have to say that the area around the Cobo was very very safe and clean. We walked up toward the ice rink downtown and enjoyed that area. We drove around Tiger Stadium and then around Greektown where we spent some time. Detriot seemed pretty nice until you got anywhere past the freeways that border downtown then it got downright scary.

I found the architecture to be fascinating. You've really got some gems in Detriot, it's just too bad about the economic situation.

I met a couple of native Detroiters at a bar and found them to be kind of apathetic. I also found Michigan (at least this part of Michigan) to be very 'blue collar'. Don't mean that in a condascending way, it's just that you can feel the legacy of the UAW and the area's overdependence on the auto industry big time.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 PM

434 posts, read 2,962,230 times
A buddy of mine used to do real estate appraisal in Detroit and he told me that you can go into the worst neighborhoods in town safely until about noon. The kind of people that will cause you trouble tend to be night owls and don't wake up until late in the morning.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 6 days ago)

5,412 posts, read 6,444,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post

I found the architecture to be fascinating. You've really got some gems in Detriot, it's just too bad about the economic situation.

Back in the 80's I sold real estate in the north Detroit suburbs. Every once in a while I would get a call from within the city limits of Detroit to either list a home, or show one to a prospective purchaser. There were some real dogs, but every now and then you'd get into one of the premier neighborhoods of the past. Huge brick, two and three level houses, with carriage houses (not garages) in the back yard. Leaded windows, oak french doors, real plaster, intricate carved mouldings, exquisite craftsmanship in every detail. I used to wonder what one of those houses would be worth if you could pick it up, and drop it in Washington Twp, or Romeo.
Even then those houses, if left vacant, were being raided for everything of value. I recall the "re-claimed" brick market was doing well back then. They would actually peel the exterior brick off of a house, it would get re sold and end up on a new house being built in Oakland or Macomb counties. Not because there was a brick shortage, just because it was "real" brick. It's a shame, but there probably isnt much left of those houses anymore, if anything at all.
Might make a nice subject for someone with a camera to document, if they cared/dared to look for those houses a little.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:07 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,297,221 times
Yachtcare,
The stripping of brick off of houses and apartment buildings is RAMPANT in the older, inner neighborhoods of the city of Detroit.

I took photos of once georgous two-family flats that are abandoned and were eventually stripped of their bricks. The link to the photos are here:

Discuss Detroit: Sturtevant St

Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 AM

214 posts, read 997,442 times
Nice pics usroute shame the neighborhood is getting stripped.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 6 days ago)

5,412 posts, read 6,444,867 times
Usroute, Thanks for the link. When I see those pictures, I too, imagine a better time, when the streets and sidewalks were filled with life, and hope. When a wave and a smile toward your neighbor was the norm......What went wrong?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:05 PM

27,767 posts, read 65,645,334 times
Reclaimed bricks are worth more than new bricks. They even take the foundation brick and then the houses collapse.

People like the old fashoined look of reclaimed brick. IN fact, the old fashioned look is popular all over. Thus the goofy looknig architectural elements that are plastered all over new houses in a mish mash of styles.

I do to know why people do not just but a true old fashioned house and restore it. If 100 people would get together, they could buy enough of a neighborhood to make it nice again. They would have some work to do withthe schools though, but no commute would be nice.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,000,727 times
Brick thieves seem fairly common in St. Louis, too, unfortunately.

I guess most cities have brick thieves, as well as copper thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit