U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 AM

229 posts, read 819,549 times

Advertisements

Not all of Detroit is bad but it has been my experience that the east side, near Grosse Pointe has taken an extreme plunge down the toilet. I rented a house there 12 years ago and never had a problem (except my pesky roommate ;-), I then moved back 6 years later, only to have my car stolen in the first month, followed by my roommates car being broken into, and finally a home burglary. I was also continuously woken at night to the sound of gunshots. This all took place in a 3 month time span, I moved out the following morning. Although Grosse Pointe is beautiful, I could never live there due to fact that it is sandwiched between that ghetto and the water.

Ironically, I have known several people who have lived downtown detroit and never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,108 times
Pretty much the entire city is crap. I can list a handful of salvageable areas (Indian Village, Rosedale Park, Palmer Park). Other than that someone please just flush the toilet.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 AM

3,001 posts, read 3,148,841 times
Detroit is the most extreme city of haves and have-nots I've seen. Palmer Park is as wealthy, in-city, as you can get as a house area while those vast vacant and rundown parts are probably the worst urban blight I've seen in America as well ... That said, downtown up the corridor toward New Center seems pretty good and getting better, although the nearby Cass Corridor is rough around the edges in part. Jefferson along the River west toward Grosse Pointe has some nice pockets, esp the upscale condo towers and low rises and some retrofitted warehouses in close (although, aside from a bar or restaurant or 2 or 3, these rehab areas seem very car/off-street parking oriented and there's almost nil foot traffic so the seem dead. Some areas along Outer Drive in the NW are pretty middle class and stable, but I get the sense it's a street-by-street thing; sandwiched in between are some very iffy places, too.

I'm hearing from this forum as well as from folks I know that downtown is one of the safest areas even though it's not always the liveliest place especially, ironically, during the business day... Weekends, though, are much better activity-wise downtown...

Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 11,592 times
Default worst parts of the city

There are too many to pinpoint. My old neighborhood around 7mile and Gratiot used to be worst as far as crime though. Then it was Fenkell on the westside. But the city is weird, theres nice neighborhoods surrounded by the gutter. You have to actually be there an get the full experience.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM

55 posts, read 150,523 times
My grandmother lived on Lahser Rd, not far from Fenkell. In 1979 her beautiful old home was broken into...she was robbed, and murdered.

Although I'd love to visit her grave, I never want to go to that area again.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM

214 posts, read 997,224 times
Bungalowmo sorry about what happened to your grandmother.

For worst area its kind of hard there`s Rosa Parks blvd, john kronk, harper, dexter,linwood, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 PM

282 posts, read 1,083,189 times
Default Detroit

I have refered to detroit as Detoilet for the last several years. I was born and raised there, Fort/Livernois area. That was in the early 50's. Was the 4th largest city in the country. What led to the decline of the city was the rediculous 68 riots. Pointless. Then came a different type of city gov't. which of the population that stayed, followed their leaders. The motto? I'm gonna get mine. Obviously it didn't work. Now the last mayor is going to jail. I no longer even drive thru the city. If I need to go somewhere on the other side, I'll detour around.
I had to come back here but asap I'm leaving the state again. I'll no longer have a reason to have to come back.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 AM

98 posts, read 448,894 times
6mile & Gratiot

Old 09-17-2008, 12:06 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,608,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
I have refered to detroit as Detoilet for the last several years. I was born and raised there, Fort/Livernois area. That was in the early 50's. Was the 4th largest city in the country. What led to the decline of the city was the rediculous 68 riots. Pointless. Then came a different type of city gov't. which of the population that stayed, followed their leaders. The motto? I'm gonna get mine. Obviously it didn't work. Now the last mayor is going to jail. I no longer even drive thru the city. If I need to go somewhere on the other side, I'll detour around.
I had to come back here but asap I'm leaving the state again. I'll no longer have a reason to have to come back.

Sad. Really sad. Too many people feel this way and they are not wrong. It is just a sick shame that supposedly well-educated officials cannot get their sh*t together to pull this city back from the ruins it has become.

Do they think it is a game? A joke? Well, the joke is their ignorance.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 AM

19 posts, read 87,153 times
Anywhere within a 20 mile radius of downtown besides Grosse Pointe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit