Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Huh, I didn't notice that. What it looked like to me was that the piece of paper was just another part of the garbage
Yeah, that is a pretty messy area. Check your Inbox, if you would...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 AM

32 posts, read 59,320 times
Worst part of the city is the area bound by Hoover to the west, Hayes to the east, State Fair to the north, and Outer Drive to the south. In my previous job, I was told once by Detroit Police that this area is considered a "9-6" zone, meaning you do not need to be there outside of the hours of 9am - 6pm and the cop was not exaggerating.

I could list many more but this is one area where your chances of getting into nonsense is significantly higher than, in my subjective opinion, anywhere else in the city.

I would love to see a thread started on any Detroit forum about someone taking interest in some of the nicer neighborhoods of the city.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,902,960 times
That's an interesting point. A lot of previous posts have dealt with blight...two houses on a block still standing, that sort of thing. It's easier to say that areas with two houses on a block are the worst in the city. We haven't dealt with crime all that much in this post. The area by the 9th precinct (is that still open?)...Gratiot, Gunston, the area around Assumption Grotto, this seems like a truly dangerous area...Houston-Whittier and Kelly, large swaths of the west side...Joy, Plymouth, West Chicago, areas where the houses are still often occupied and people still live.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 118,956 times
Augustus Woodward, you are correct about this area. I grew up there. It is worst than before. I went to osborn High school right on Hoover and 7mile. Just yesterday I saw a story on channel 4 about a shooting right across the street from the school. It's crazy over there.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 AM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,485 times
Wow, the neighborhood has changed (Chaldean Town) house I spent much of my youth at is now gone. It was on Bauman St. next to the Bauman Market, it only the market was never operating when I lived there. Annin market was open played alot of centipede in there. My uncle lived next to the Annin Market renters burned down his house. Then insurance wouldn't pay out the claim (same claim they insisted he carry)...such a mess.
30yrs ago there were houses side by side a very colorful neighborhood it's saddens me to see it like this.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus Woodward View Post
Worst part of the city is the area bound by Hoover to the west, Hayes to the east, State Fair to the north, and Outer Drive to the south. In my previous job, I was told once by Detroit Police that this area is considered a "9-6" zone, meaning you do not need to be there outside of the hours of 9am - 6pm and the cop was not exaggerating.

I could list many more but this is one area where your chances of getting into nonsense is significantly higher than, in my subjective opinion, anywhere else in the city.

I would love to see a thread started on any Detroit forum about someone taking interest in some of the nicer neighborhoods of the city.
This was a police officer's inside pun.

Before the 5th and 9th precincts were consolidated into the Eastern District, the area was designated "9-6" (6th part of the 9th pct area).

Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM

21 posts, read 56,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
Who can remember that time in the fifties and sixties where Detroit was one of the best places to live. I wish we could go back to those times. People however confine themselves to downtown for work and entertainment. We can still rebuild our glory days. We can return to our days of economic prosperity.

Probably not going to happen. They say the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. Well, Detroit's politicians will never let this city return to its glory days. When was the last time a "progressive democrat" wasn't in power? Progressive politics and labor unions continue to squash any growth potential Detroit may have to offer. Don't believe me? Look at St. Louis and ask the same questions.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM

301 posts, read 1,326,921 times
"labor unions continue to squash any growth potential Detroit may have to offer."

You're blaming labor unions for Detroit's sputtered growth? It was well paying labor union jobs that made Detroit prosper back in the day. Quit putting crooks in office and maybe Detroit's luck will change. You want everyone working for peanuts? Well, you have it now in spades.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:06 PM

112 posts, read 500,678 times
Still looking for photos of the Grand River- Greenfield area from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Any retail stores or neighborhood photos are ok.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Parts of Detroit are coming back. Other parts are gone and will never come back. Other parts are still on the downslide.

Worst area for what? Smelliest? Most crime? Emptiest? Most unoccupied buildings?

Regardless fo the criteria, there will be several worst areas, just as there a several best areas. It is all scattered and mixed, that is why it is such a difficult problem. You cannot just take the "worst" area or areas and shut them down, it is all integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit