U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 5,777,704 times

Advertisements

This is the most interesting and informative thread I've read. Wow. God bless Detroit and its people past present and future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 PM

14,574 posts, read 13,316,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshi View Post
The whole bloody town! I haven't lived there in 27 years and they've torn up THE ENTIRE TOWN! I was there in 2011 and thought I stepped out of H. G. Well's novel! They've made it all the way "across 8 Mile" and completely torn up Macomb, Oakland . . . . all of those counties.
A little hyperbole? "Completely"?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,276,562 times
The only thing I've noticed torn up about the suburbs are the roads. But that's not unique to just Metro Detroit unfortunately.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,178,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe it is not interesting to you because you are around it all the time? (forgive me, but I don't recall your situation). But for someone who lives out in the suburbs and rarely sees abandonment and blight on a daily basis, it is an educative opportunity to be able to drive a few miles and see what can happen to a neglected city.
Well I live in Atlanta now Detroit has been in the rearview mirror for the last couple weeks. Just like my hometown of Los Angeles, I plan to come back to her someday though.

I guess I don't find abandoned homes all that interesting, partly because just about every major city I've been to has one of those blocks. What makes Detroit so special is that out of major cities, those blocks happen to make a large percentage of that city.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,811,380 times
Quote:
The whole bloody town! I haven't lived there in 27 years and they've torn up THE ENTIRE TOWN! I was there in 2011 and thought I stepped out of H. G. Well's novel! They've made it all the way "across 8 Mile" and completely torn up Macomb, Oakland . . . . all of those counties.
The entire Detroit urban area (Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb county) looks torn up??? LMAO Silliest post I've read in a minute

Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM

16 posts, read 23,164 times
Default Nothing over exaggerated about the remark . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A little hyperbole? "Completely"?
I grew up there in the 60's, 70's and in the 80's, I was able to escape. I've been there 5 times in the past 27 years after living in a lot of places and going to other countries. Trust me, the place looks like Dusseldorf the day after the bomb. But oh, I'm sorry. Gee. I forgot how people are in Michigan. Oh no, Detroit is beautiful, safe, clean and wonderful. The people are soooooo friendly, open, kind, safe and warm. Gee, what was I thinking. . . . Oh yeah, and I forgot how safe it is to take a jog at night, day, or afternoon in completely safe neighborhoods. Gee, I'm sorry. I must be on a different planet with a different Detroit, MI. Excuse me . . . .

Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I grew up there in the 60's, 70's and in the 80's, I was able to escape. I've been there 5 times in the past 27 years after living in a lot of places and going to other countries. Trust me, the place looks like Dusseldorf the day after the bomb. But oh, I'm sorry. Gee. I forgot how people are in Michigan. Oh no, Detroit is beautiful, safe, clean and wonderful. The people are soooooo friendly, open, kind, safe and warm. Gee, what was I thinking. . . . Oh yeah, and I forgot how safe it is to take a jog at night, day, or afternoon in completely safe neighborhoods. Gee, I'm sorry. I must be on a different planet with a different Detroit, MI. Excuse me . . . .
You said "past 8 Mile" and pretty much the whole tri-county area. People will be very quick to point out where Detroit's city limits are and most people agree it's like night and day.

With the exception of Pontiac, I've not seen any urban decay in any of the suburbs of Detroit.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM

1,903 posts, read 5,031,068 times
Suburban decay is starting. It is not always as noticeable as Detroit's decay, and it will happen more slowly, thanks to better suburban code enforcement, but certain suburban areas are getting a little long in the tooth, to say it nicely. Driving along Eight Mile there are areas where you can't tell the difference between Detroit and, say, Warren. The only difference is that the blight is more easily torn down and replaced by a new strip mall or something similar on the suburban side, as it's easier to get something like that done on the suburban side than the Detroit's.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 AM

14,574 posts, read 13,316,307 times
Quote:
...the place looks like Dusseldorf the day after the bomb...
Dusseldorf did quite nicely after 1945.

There's always hope!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Suburban decay is starting. It is not always as noticeable as Detroit's decay, and it will happen more slowly, thanks to better suburban code enforcement, but certain suburban areas are getting a little long in the tooth, to say it nicely. Driving along Eight Mile there are areas where you can't tell the difference between Detroit and, say, Warren. The only difference is that the blight is more easily torn down and replaced by a new strip mall or something similar on the suburban side, as it's easier to get something like that done on the suburban side than the Detroit's.
Blight being torn down and replaced is a pretty big difference.

I haven't heard too many stories about dead bodies found in vacant homes/empty fields in Warren. I know that along 9 Mile and Hoover, there's quite a lot of industrial buildings that have been demolished. But also at the same time, the schools over there have been renovated and expanded. I can't say that the same thing happens in Detroit and that makes a pretty big difference.

Then again, that might have been what the other poster meant as "torn up", though I see it as a positive that unused buildings are being demolished considering our economy is becoming less based on manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit