Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ideas how to improve and diversify Detroit economy, utilize nearby freshwater access, post automotive Detroit economy, opinions on moving Detroit out of automaking

Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times

Advertisements

I spent a three weeks over in china (mid june to early july)..it was interesting. I toured a motorcycle factory, a small appliance maker (if it's a small appliance and says made in china then it was made there), an italian washing machine factory, a jade factory and a silk factory...

Labor in china is cheap...actually many things are. I got a bottle of brandy for $1.50, our group got a full body massage for $9, chances are you could get a three or four course meal for a dozen people for $9 etc.

They rig their currency to a point on this and that's how things are cheap. However because it's rigged it means it effects other countries. It also is getting more expensive with the costs of energy going up.

OK so how does this deal with detroit...well I was reading some housing article and the guy just spent a day there but it kinda stuck with me.

Detroit has access to in effect the largest body of freshwater maybe in the world. In China 70% of the water you cannot drink. Other prices were a bit odd to see...a apartment in hong kong is lower than boston...

If the place has cheap housing, clean water and somewhat of some standards (there is no osha, epa, dol, dot in china...I saw tractor trailers driving on the side walk, four people riding on one motorcycle, electricity was iffy as was internet access etc)

I'm not saying that autos would make a huge comeback but if oil KEEPS going up it's going to be obvious we have to make at least some things back home.

Water might not sound like a bit deal at first but compound that for a moment. Some of the fastest growth in the USA has been in the south west..nevada, arizona and new mexico. But now that's over. If they can't grow food it means food has to be imported from further away and that means inflation.

I'm not advocating a repeal of a whole ton of legislation or protections but think about this also...there's no health plan in that country either...but oddly enough walmart just unionized!
Wal-Mart to Allow Unions in China

So what could they do with clean cheap water...here's an idea

1) ethanol from switchgrass. non corn related means its far cheaper. Now you just made a cheaper form...put some of that on e85 maybe...

2) greening of buildings. some are putting plants on top in other cities...could be the greenest in the country...no smog

The potential is there it's just a matter of development. Pittsburg can kinda pull itself off of steel so it's not like a town or city can get past an old industry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,921 times
It's good to think about this new era in Michigan.

--
Trees and other plants are growing out of many buildings in Detroit, but it's not by design.

Per-capita, Detroit is one of the most polluting cities in the country; if it were next to a mountain range, it would be very visible. This is not because of lack of plants, it's because homes people are living in (Detroit) are very dilapidated and leak energy from the walls and windows, mainly heat in the winter, obviously. There is also a huge commuting population, low density and few mass transit options in the whole metro area.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,730 times
I don't think that Michigan has to be POST automotive, but by all means has to diversify its economy more than it has. This is mainly true for south-east Michigan and metro Detoit.

^^I agree that many of the homes in Detroit are very old and have not been properly taken care of and are leaking energy.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM

262 posts, read 788,119 times

YouTube - Response to Obama, 7: Liberals and the fall of Detroit watch this it will explain what is wrong with Detroit and Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: