U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 PM

60,630 posts, read 85,769,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Thank Henry Ford; he hired many Black auto workers, partly because he felt Blacks would not be conducive to Unions.
Very true and that is something that many people don't know about. Heck, think about Inkster and why it's population is largely Black. That's due to restrictions in Dearborn, as far as Black people living there. Hence, many Blacks living in nearby Inkster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 PM

194 posts, read 420,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
If you watch local news reports we are seeing more crime in the suburbs cause there are more black families moving out of Detroit. Like just a month or so ago in Mt Clemens when that group of young blacks beat that guy up by the Mobile station there on Gratoit, and the other guy down by Gibraltar Trade Center was beat by these black punks while the guy's wife screamed for help. So they are bring Detroit to the suburbs, like today the news reported that the parking lot in Southfield where the PGA was parking cars they got broke into, The Southfield area is becoming more a black city since the Jewish folks moved to Bloomfield, just like Oak Park. I have no problem with black families wanting to move from Detroit in hopes of finding a safer better place to live, All I would say is leave the HOOD in the HOOD which is Detroit.
Next time do your research, Mount Clemens is one of the few suburbs that has had a large black population for generations so blacks moving from Detroit has nothing to do with the incident you cited! Southfield has been mostly black since the 80's and there are still mostly nice neighborhoods there. Detroit is messed up because the middle and upper classes left the city and took all their money with em, and this continues to happen while the city's services get worse and worse every year, inspiring more people to move as soon as they can afford it. Now it's more about money than race, it's sad that people need to be able to "afford" safety

Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 PM

999 posts, read 4,197,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie
Thanks for saying this Tina -- I grew up on the East side and my white dad worked primarily for Black clients. The hate and fear directed at Detroits -- and this always means Detroit's black population, as near as I can tell -- is largely nonsense. The violent crime rate there continues to drop despite Detroit being one of the least-policed cities in the whole country. It's the average Joes and Janes who are making that happen, by learning from the mistakes of the past and not committing crimes in the first place -- NOT the harried police force who are primarily there to mop up after the damage is already done.
Detroit's per capita part I crime rate is actually increasing. There are only half as many people there now as there were in the 60's. There are more part I crimes PER 100,000 people than there were back then. Go ahead and check the FBI's UCR reports. Also, Detroit is absolutely notorious for under reporting part I crimes. Especially homicides. One particularly bad year, they didn't even bother sending stats in to the feds.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 26,108 times
Default Whiners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Sounds like a liar from California. You think those progressive, liberal white people from California like living amongst minorities? Yeah right. California has more segregated neighborhoods than anywhere else in the country.
The only reason neighborhoods are segregated is because the working and/or educated class does not like to live among the unemployed and/or uneducated class. Not because they are unemployed and/or uneducated but because those neighborhoods have higher crime rates and worse schools. If you'd like to prove me wrong, name me a city with a high unemployment rate and bad schools that has a low crime rate.

As a Californian, or as a human being, I don't want to live in a high crime area. Luckily, this still being a free country (for a least a little while longer) I can choose to live where I want. If those in those high crime neighborhoods would like to live in my neighborhood, then all they have to do is what I did...go to school...study hard...get a job...save some money...then I would love to have them as a neighbor, regardless of their race. I'm not racist, I am 'crime-ist.'

And just to preempt any response from racists that suggest I somehow had an upper-hand due to family support or coming from a white family...let me say that I drove out to California on my own, got my first job stocking shelves at $4.25 an hour at 19 yo, went to a local community college and shared a room with 2 other college kids with ZERO assistance from family. ANYONE can do that, so all the poor, downtrodden, whining government-dependent slackers out there that blame everyone else for their problems need to shut up and step up. Earn it!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,818,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNative73 View Post
The only reason neighborhoods are segregated is because the working and/or educated class does not like to live among the unemployed and/or uneducated class. Not because they are unemployed and/or uneducated but because those neighborhoods have higher crime rates and worse schools. If you'd like to prove me wrong, name me a city with a high unemployment rate and bad schools that has a low crime rate.

As a Californian, or as a human being, I don't want to live in a high crime area. Luckily, this still being a free country (for a least a little while longer) I can choose to live where I want. If those in those high crime neighborhoods would like to live in my neighborhood, then all they have to do is what I did...go to school...study hard...get a job...save some money...then I would love to have them as a neighbor, regardless of their race. I'm not racist, I am 'crime-ist.'

And just to preempt any response from racists that suggest I somehow had an upper-hand due to family support or coming from a white family...let me say that I drove out to California on my own, got my first job stocking shelves at $4.25 an hour at 19 yo, went to a local community college and shared a room with 2 other college kids with ZERO assistance from family. ANYONE can do that, so all the poor, downtrodden, whining government-dependent slackers out there that blame everyone else for their problems need to shut up and step up. Earn it!

This is a first.

Since white-flight started in the 1950s when employment was nearly 95% in the city, how can yhis theory be valid?

Not sure how many people who have so much time on their hands as to "create" these justifications ACTUALLy lived in Detroit?

Starting to sound like the drunk who seeks psychiatric advice from the bartender and cannot understand why the advice doesn't work in the REAL world.

By following this reasoning--
would not ALL educated people live in the same area?
And all EMPLOYED folks also live in the same area?

So Detroit is FULL of UNEDUCATED and UNEMPLOYED people?
This would be a VERY generic STEROTYPE, would it not?

Detroit is NOT segregated ECONOMICALLY, it is divided RACIALLY.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM

282 posts, read 747,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This is a first.

Since white-flight started in the 1950s when employment was nearly 95% in the city, how can yhis theory be valid?

Not sure how many people who have so much time on their hands as to "create" these justifications ACTUALLy lived in Detroit?

Starting to sound like the drunk who seeks psychiatric advice from the bartender and cannot understand why the advice doesn't work in the REAL world.

By following this reasoning--
would not ALL educated people live in the same area?
And all EMPLOYED folks also live in the same area?

So Detroit is FULL of UNEDUCATED and UNEMPLOYED people?
This would be a VERY generic STEROTYPE, would it not?

Detroit is NOT segregated ECONOMICALLY, it is divided RACIALLY.
Do you have stats for your last statement?
I, for one, don't believe it.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:25 PM

57,945 posts, read 76,935,276 times
al lota people from south side chicago complained that chicago was not cold enough and did not have enough crime--- so they moved there?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM

12,598 posts, read 7,632,408 times
One cannot debate with a fool without eventually being seen as a fool (for the effort) and one cannot debate with a racist without eventually being seen as a racist too.

The primary reason that places become segregated is that some people believe that they are better than other people and or they only want to be around people like themselves.

I think black criminality is a highly overblown rational. People are much more likely to be hurt in car crashes than be a victim of black crime....yet....how many people will not drive due to fear of getting in a accident? An actuary could break it down for you better than I could. The vast majority of violent crime is commited by and against people who know each other and much of it is related to behaviors and lifestyles one chooses. Furthermore, its only a very, very small percentage of repeat offenders committing most of the criminal activity. Hence, when black people start moving into an area, the vast, vast majority of them are descent people. there is really no need for panic. Its the panic that ultimately drives the property values down and triggers the deterioration of the community.

The great depression was 60% the result of PANIC. It became a self reinforcing belief as peoples irrational fears manifested what they feared. Think about it. Have you ever tried rearing a child in negativity? If you treat a child as if the child is inferior, cannot do anything right and is worthless, because that was your belief of this child.....9 times out of 10 that child will turn out the way you predicted....not because they were destined as such....but because of the way he or she was mistreated. Actions produce reactions. Racism and Prejudice are not benign phenomenon....they create reactions and then ignorant people use the reaction as justification for the continuation of the racism and prejudice. Yet others...who may not have been racist before, then began to see the REACTION in a vacuum, unrealted to racist ACTIONS that caused it....as a LOGICAL and not an EMOTIONAL (as in hate) reason to see black people negatively. Yet....there are no victims of racism and prejudice....only people who make excuses for their inherent inferiority. Its truly a sad, sad pathetic world that we have created....and most people are in denial so that they can enjoy their STATUS and sense of SUPERIORITY as having won in a fair and square compeition for rank and status.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-12-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM

9,664 posts, read 10,216,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
I think the white flight theory is somewhat of a myth. In fact, on the southeast side of Grand Rapids in the 60's, blacks tried very hard to drive whites out of the neighborhood. It wasn't just equal opportunity crime, it was racist violence to get whites out. Been there, lost a lot of blood in my old neighborhood. My theory is that the black clergy were trying to organize violence against non-blacks, but I don't know that for sure.

The violence that went on in urban Michigan was one of the worst cases of racial violence this country has ever seen. Probably more people were "lynched" in Michigan than in the south.
In 2001 I moved to Royal Oak to live with a white woman. I was stopped 3x/wk by law enforcement. I had contract jobs in Livonia and Dearborn and after she and I broke up I lived in Detroit for some time. Detroit is a lot more than 80% black as reported. There is a lot less crime than reported. I've survived four muggings as a NY'er, I never even saw a mugging in Detroit in a year of living there. What there really is is a city and its people left for dead. Blacks didn't drive whites out of the city, whites left the blacks that were brought into the area by industry. Law enforcement (positive law enforcement), infrastructure maintenance and social services left with them.

H

Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,641,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think black criminality is a highly overblown rational. People are much more likely to be hurt in car crashes than be a victim of black crime....yet....how many people will not drive due to fear of getting in a accident?
So are you saying this is false?

KillBobC - Kill Black On Black Crime
"The statistics tell a tragic story. According to federal crime figures, homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males aged 15 to 34. They also indicate that between 1976 and 2004, 94 percent of black murder victims were killed by black offenders."

That was why I chose not to live downtown. I have had more "accidents" with black folk than I had car crashes in my entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or