U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM

658 posts, read 675,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
Jamesandveybe: Even though im black im not racist. I dont like yuppies trying to change my city though its good there is like a few that will leave in a yr or 2 anyways. But blacks dont want whites there it really is true. Imagine if some white family moved to my old hood they would be picked on robbed and more cause they`re different. Sad but true.
Exactly. It's the same for any other color of the rainbow. People like to hang with their own. Nothing new about that, and yet some folks get their panties up the crack about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM

866 posts, read 3,879,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

There was an article in the Detroit Free Press either yesterday or today, that highlighted a white guy from Ann Arbor who bought a 2-bedroom loft in the renovated Carlton Building in Brush Park for just $114,000. Oh, how the real estate market has tanked!
They have to put it in the paper that a white person bought a house in Detroit!! All I can say is, Wow!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 PM

60,585 posts, read 85,710,425 times
As a person that had or has family in Detroit and attended MSU for 3 years, I definately was disappointed in how people of different races and even from different types of cities interact and/or should I say don't interact with each other. I think a lot of it is a two way street too. Then, when I heard from a professor during my time at MSU that it was supposedly one of the most segregated campuses in the US, I was not surprised at all. I had a diverse group of friends there, but most of them were from out of state, like myself, foreign students or were White guys and girls from Midland, Stevensville, Ishpeming and Dowagiac. I did meet some White people from Brighton, South Lyon, Livonia, Bloomfield Hills and Sterling Heights that were cool too. Same with Black people that lived in Detroit, Oak Park and Inkster. it seems like people haven't gotten over things from the past around there, but maybe most of the people just "stay in their lanes" now too.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM

214 posts, read 997,586 times
Jamesandveybe: Your right again people like to be around their own. I dont blame whites for not wanting to live in our neighborhoods. Dexterguy it is amazing how they gotta put that in the news it just shows how little the white population is in detroit that its a story. Most whites in detroit are old anyways with nowhere else to go . Chkthankgod Well i think white people have moved on not blacks. If a black family moves to a white neighborhood they wil be welcomed. If whites move to a black neighborhood the wont last believe me even yuppies. Remember that story on fox news with the white kid and 7 or 8 out of state friends were beaten badly downtown for being white. He ignored what he heard about detroit and tried to fit in with people who hated him for no reason and he got hurt. To complain about racism is a big was of time and energy.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah I agree with all you guys but speciffically about the kid and his friends. People think I bash my own city maybe I do or Maybe its the truth for god sakes look around dont believe the freep and other news trying to make detroit look good it ain`t. Dont look at a decent block then say the whole neighborhood is great or dont believe wikipedia.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:49 PM

73 posts, read 256,563 times
The thing about Detroit is the negative attitude, even in the subburbs there is an attatude like "I'm from Detroit its bad but if you talk **** about it, I will hurt you" tuff guy talk even from people in the subburbs. It is very segregated and everyone seems to be at least somewhat prejedice. Hard to argue when only 10% in the city claim to be white (most of them are probably actually midlle eastern / chaldean), the whites want to keep blacks out of the subburbs becuse they will bring crimes. Back to the original question: Why is Detroit over 80% Black? probably because they were the slowest race to get out of the city and are being forced to stay because of poverty and rascism.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 AM

262 posts, read 729,572 times
If you watch local news reports we are seeing more crime in the suburbs cause there are more black families moving out of Detroit. Like just a month or so ago in Mt Clemens when that group of young blacks beat that guy up by the Mobile station there on Gratoit, and the other guy down by Gibraltar Trade Center was beat by these black punks while the guy's wife screamed for help. So they are bring Detroit to the suburbs, like today the news reported that the parking lot in Southfield where the PGA was parking cars they got broke into, The Southfield area is becoming more a black city since the Jewish folks moved to Bloomfield, just like Oak Park. I have no problem with black families wanting to move from Detroit in hopes of finding a safer better place to live, All I would say is leave the HOOD in the HOOD which is Detroit.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Im black myself I think I can explain the reason for messing with white people. Blacks think whites are easy, scared of them and there is a big double stnadard in this country for minorites but whites cant say anything you see whites scared of blacks just from what they see on t.v. Example I saw at some college like 10-15 black panthers marching in a crowd of like 100+ whites who were looking and clapping if it were reverse blacks would riot. They are to confident and arrogant towards others. If you dont show fear they will leave you alone maybe they like to fight in very unfair groups of like 5 to 1. The only groups who at least stand up to blacks is foreigners and latinos it seems. Im glad blacks want a better life in the suburbs but To me the best place to live is a mixed neighborhood like in other cities not just majority black or white that seems to keep the peace most of the time.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Oh as for the question I agree with Grrazo.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM

60,585 posts, read 85,710,425 times
Default Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
Jamesandveybe: Your right again people like to be around their own. I dont blame whites for not wanting to live in our neighborhoods. Dexterguy it is amazing how they gotta put that in the news it just shows how little the white population is in detroit that its a story. Most whites in detroit are old anyways with nowhere else to go . Chkthankgod Well i think white people have moved on not blacks. If a black family moves to a white neighborhood they wil be welcomed. If whites move to a black neighborhood the wont last believe me even yuppies. Remember that story on fox news with the white kid and 7 or 8 out of state friends were beaten badly downtown for being white. He ignored what he heard about detroit and tried to fit in with people who hated him for no reason and he got hurt. To complain about racism is a big was of time and energy.
As a Black person that lived in a very White community in Upstate NY, that's not necessarily true. I remember my brothers having to fight just about everyday in school. I even had some playing a game to beat me up in front of their parents house and luckily I was young. To be fair this was a some time ago, but not too long ago to forget. There were other things, but I think we GENERALLY give some people too much credit and some not enough, if you know what I mean.

I went to MSU in the mid 90's too. So, hopefully, things have changed. Personally, I thought it was a two way street in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or